Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-02-2012, 10:15 PM

Default Trap Sizing

I am new to trapping, just passed test before christmas and I am looking for some help, if anyone would be so kind.

I am specifically wondering about how traps are sized, and what works best for which species. I have the list that was supplied in the trapping regulations, but some of it is Greek to me. My questions relate to how traps are sized and how the numerical sizing of conibear style traps work.

What does the 120 for example mean? I know it's not 12 inches across, so does the 120 relate to spring size? What is the difference between, say, a 110 and a 120? I am very curious to know, as I am tryin to figure what my best bet is for when I order all my new traps.

So far, my best understanding is:

110/120- ideal for mink and marten.
220- ideal for fisher, which are off my list anyways
330- ideal for beaver?

Number 3 coil springs ideal for coyotes?

What else should I buy for traps in order to have a well rounded collectiob? I am going to be focusing on beaver, muskrat, squirrel, marten, mink and coyote. I already have 12 no 3 coil springs, 12 330s, and 4 160s.

I know it's a ton of questions, but I am new o this and I am finding this somewhat confusing to figure out. I thank everyone for their input, in advance.

Dale.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:07 PM

Get the 120 for your martin and fisher. My preferance is the Beslile as their safety is second to none in my opinion. The 110 I don't believe is even legal for martin. Read the list closely and the numbers for the most part mean little. Each brand is different.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:07 AM

Ok... not trying to be an ***** but i am also quite new to the trapping scene BUT when i challenged the trappers exam i had specific questions on what trap is ideal for a certain species. Just saying.

I will say good on you for asking! You didn't learn it in the test and you want to know. Better then going out and not knowing.

From what you said you have no 120's. Go get a ton of those. Use those for marten, mink and muskrat. I have 75 120's out for marten and i wish i had the time to have more. If you put out for mink and muskrat then your number will increase dramatically.

Beaver - 330's

Coyote - i like the 4 coil spring foot hold but i think 2 coil is all you need

Fisher - we caught a very large male in a 120... perfect strike. BUT if its specifically set out for fisher then i perfer 160's, less chance of a bad strike.

Squirrels - snares

To round out your collection i think you will need a lot. First i would go and stock up on the 120's and go from there.

Good luck and if you haven't caught your first fur yet then post it when you do!
Old 01-03-2012, 06:32 AM
Gone Hunting

A 120 is a 110 with double springs. The old single spring traps like the 110 are illegal to use now.
And so are a lot of the older double spring traps. They could only kill an animal in 59 seconds. The new ones kill in under 10 seconds. Huge difference.
We wouldn't want an unconscious animal to suffer for 30 seconds now would we, besides, it's every trappers goal to cut animals in half. The new traps do this quiet well.

Do I sound a bit sarcastic ? I hope so. The new trap requirements are a joke, invented and enforced by non trappers, who did all their testing in a lab, on domestic cats.

It is true that trap size numbers are confusing. Essentially, one goes by trap opening size, which is not always listed with the trap size.
Generally speaking,

A 4,5 inch trap - 120 - is for Mink, Squirrel, Muskrat and similar sized animals.

A 6 inch trap is - 160 - for Marten Skunk and similar sized animals.

A 7 inch trap - 220 - is for Fisher, fox, Badger, and similar sizes.

A 8" trap - 280 - is for Otter and small beaver.

And a 10" trap - 330 - is for beaver and other large animals.

Remember, these are sizes invented by animal rights groups.
For instance, the only Wolverine I ever caught succumbed to a 160. There was no evidence of even a momentary struggle.

On the other hand my brother caught a small Fisher in a 220 sized Sauvageau. It hit her just ahead of the eyes. The following day we found her, in the trap, very much alive. Both of her eyes were popped right out of their sockets and were frozen solid as was her tongue, but she was alive.

With my old Northwoods 220s she would have pulled out and been non the worse for wear. Or it would have been lights out and no struggle, had she it the trap, my old trap, correctly.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:11 AM

i use rat traps on squrels in my yard works awsome. penutbutter and rat trap. i caught 10 in 2 hours in front of my house.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:44 AM
Banned

Give Halford's in Edmonton and they will send you their catalogue, which has the traps and measurements you are looking for. It will also tell you what species they are certified for..

Last time I checked.,I thought, 110's were still legal for mink.muskrat and weasel.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:20 PM

Thank you all very much for the help, you are all a wealth of knowledge.
I have spent some time reading up on trap specs and legal requirements, an u think that I have a better understanding of what is what. I made a rather large order at halfords today and can't wait for it to show up. I thank you again for all the help. Hopefully I will be posting pics of my first catch soon!
Old 01-04-2012, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
A 120 is a 110 with double springs. The old single spring traps like the 110 are illegal to use now.
And so are a lot of the older double spring traps. They could only kill an animal in 59 seconds. The new ones kill in under 10 seconds. Huge difference.
We wouldn't want an unconscious animal to suffer for 30 seconds now would we, besides, it's every trappers goal to cut animals in half. The new traps do this quiet well.

Do I sound a bit sarcastic ? I hope so. The new trap requirements are a joke, invented and enforced by non trappers, who did all their testing in a lab, on domestic cats.

It is true that trap size numbers are confusing. Essentially, one goes by trap opening size, which is not always listed with the trap size.
Generally speaking,

A 4,5 inch trap - 120 - is for Mink, Squirrel, Muskrat and similar sized animals.

A 6 inch trap is - 160 - for Marten Skunk and similar sized animals.

A 7 inch trap - 220 - is for Fisher, fox, Badger, and similar sizes.

A 8" trap - 280 - is for Otter and small beaver.

And a 10" trap - 330 - is for beaver and other large animals.

Remember, these are sizes invented by animal rights groups.
For instance, the only Wolverine I ever caught succumbed to a 160. There was no evidence of even a momentary struggle.

On the other hand my brother caught a small Fisher in a 220 sized Sauvageau. It hit her just ahead of the eyes. The following day we found her, in the trap, very much alive. Both of her eyes were popped right out of their sockets and were frozen solid as was her tongue, but she was alive.

With my old Northwoods 220s she would have pulled out and been non the worse for wear. Or it would have been lights out and no struggle, had she it the trap, my old trap, correctly.
Very well put Keg , I couldent have said it better myself!!!! Bravo