Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-27-2011, 06:01 PM

Default Squirrel Traps

Hi,
I've got about 50 squirrels in and around my yard and im looking for some easy diy traps that would be leagal (if it is leagal to trap in calgary) to set out to start thinning them out.

Thanks,
Carson
Old 12-28-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson13 View Post
Hi,
I've got about 50 squirrels in and around my yard and im looking for some easy diy traps that would be leagal (if it is leagal to trap in calgary) to set out to start thinning them out.

Thanks,
Carson
Airgun? or set up a log that is going from the ground to a tree or fence that they use and put it at and angle so they can run up it and attach snares to the log so they go through them when running up/down the log
Old 12-28-2011, 08:54 PM
Banned

I would call up the spca or the city and see what they can provide in the way of live traps. Any one involved in animal damage control would have the same, although they would prob not borrow them out.. I'm sure a muskrat submarine trap would also work on the ground or even on a ridge pole if baited..
If there is a Halford's in Calgary, check out what they have to get an idea of how to build one, if you want a diy,fer

Last edited by sourdough doug; 12-28-2011 at 08:58 PM. Reason: add info
Old 01-03-2012, 01:28 PM

Default rat traps

i had same problem, went to hardware store and picked up some rat traps they are really big mouse traps, put some penutbutter on it. in about 25 min had one in every trap. they cost about $3.00 a peice
Old 01-03-2012, 01:30 PM

Snares....
Old 01-03-2012, 02:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
Snares....
I reason I mentioned live traps is becuz, I'm sure snaring or footholds are not allowed in the city. if you feel the neighbors will not report you, go crazy,...that's where I was coming from.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:47 PM

Try those Victor rat traps, they look like a big mouse trap, we used to use them for weasles, not sure what to bait it with, maybe peanut butter

Never mind, missed Oneshots reply!!
Old 01-03-2012, 04:02 PM

Slingshot?
Old 01-03-2012, 04:30 PM

There is a youtube video of various squirell lanchers... one being a clay pigeon throwing machine... the other is some bungees on a colander that is baited.... awesome hilarity!...and good camera setup....
Old 01-06-2012, 11:35 AM

50 squirrels would make some nice stew.

Animal control in the city is always a crap shoot.

Been a while since I lived in the city but I'm betting the bleeding hearts will chirp from a high roof top regardless of how you take them out if they find out you aren't live trapping them and washing them down with dawn soap before you set them free.

You might be walking into a punch by pulling out an air rifle in the yard and a squirrel in a snare is a wild sounding little machine (albeit a short time) and again could attract some attention that could be a pita.

If you just want them to go away, I'd try adopting a couple of Toms from the SPCA ( I have 6 acres and between 3 to 15 cats at any one time and the squirrels are far and few between). Give them an insulated house, fresh water everyday and free feed them and they'll be fine all winter.

A forgotten bucket of used anti freeze has been a pretty effective way to cull cats over the years on many farms so I'd imagine it would have the same effect on a squirrel (have to watch the neighbours pets though)

Are the squirrels getting into your soffit? What problems are they causing?
Old 01-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=mumptia;1242706]50 50 squirrels would make a nice stew.

A forgotten bucket of used anti freeze has been a pretty effective way to cull cats over the years on many farms so I'd imagine it would have the same effect on a squirrel (have to watch the neighbours pets though)

I might suggest that anyone doing the antifreeze thing, chug a couple of litres themselves, just to make sure it will have the desired affect. Don't want to do anything half assed now , do we.. If you have ever seen an animal that has gotten into that stuff....it is not nice.
I would imagine too, that all your cats are neutered or do you control them with antifeeze as well...one should practice what they preach...
Old 01-06-2012, 01:11 PM

[QUOTE=sourdough doug;1242809]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumptia View Post
50 50 squirrels would make a nice stew.

I might suggest that anyone doing the antifreeze thing, chug a couple of litres themselves, just to make sure it will have the desired affect. Don't want to do anything half assed now , do we.. If you have ever seen an animal that has gotten into that stuff....it is not nice.
I would imagine too, that all your cats are neutered or do you control them with antifeeze as well...one should practice what they preach...
Easy Doug,

Its just an option. People have do it all the time with mice and gophers. Poison is just an alternative to choking them to death by snaring or having them tore to pieces by a big Tom. Never said it was nice, just an option.

And anti-freeze to cull my cats? heck no. Coyotes are pretty good at watching the local cat herd.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by one shot View Post
i had same problem, went to hardware store and picked up some rat traps they are really big mouse traps, put some penutbutter on it. in about 25 min had one in every trap. they cost about $3.00 a peice
x2 A rat trap is cheap and it works well. My only suggestion is to tie a peanut in the shell to the trigger catch with a piece of string. I tried peanut butter first and the traps were set off with cat hair in and around them. I'm thinking that someone's cat had a bit of a headache. Peanuts no problem. Oh yeah, if you are setting them on a fence put a screw through it into the fence so it doesn't get knocked off. Very effective.