Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-08-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
If they ever close gull to taking home a whitefish, I would think sylvan would be hit hard and would be the same way shortly after.
Reduce limits to 1 on gull, sylvan, and pigeon for 3 years. Not that much long of time period and probably a huge benefit for all.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:24 AM

Irony here is that instead of having a white fish golden age two years after the commercial fishery closed leaving tens of thousands of pounds of fish in the lakes, we have this.

I think it's safe to say the commercial fishers weren't the problem.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
Irony here is that instead of having a white fish golden age two years after the commercial fishery closed leaving tens of thousands of pounds of fish in the lakes, we have this.

I think it's safe to say the commercial fishers weren't the problem.
Anyone have a list of commercial fishing quotas by lake? Would be interested to know how much commercial fishing took place on Gull Lake.

The discontinuation of whitefish commercial fishing will definitely help the species but it is going to take years for them to recover in these lakes, not overnight...

I am not sure how much commercial fishing happened at Gull but it will have a tougher time then most lakes because of the angling pressure. The good thing is that there are lots of other previously commercially fished lakes that don't see the same angling pressure that will grow healthy populations. In 4-5 years(maybe more or less in some cases) there will be a lot more options to target whitefish in.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:02 PM

ice fishing is too easy now and the enforceability of the catch limit is very hard. I know of many people who will take their catch home, clean it, throw it in the fridge and then head back out. knew a guy who limited out on 15 lbs jacks 3 days in a row at lake Newell when u could keep fish there couple years ago.

the limit includes what you have in your fridge and technically you cannot keep more fish until you eat whats in your fridge.

my advice, do your part and become a catch an release fisherman. after all it is cheaper to buy fish from safeway than to drive all the way to gull to catch something.

I have kept 5 fish in the past 4 years and I love to eat fish
Old 02-08-2016, 12:07 PM

Default Ask the biologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by the old man View Post
The whitefish in Gull Lake seem to have really crashed,according to a lot of the people I've talked to. I've heard stories of lots of dead fish in the summer,any thoughts ? Algae bloom ?
Info on the Environment and Parks website indicates it was surveyed in 2014. Give the fisheries biologist in Red Deer a call and find out what the assessment of the results is.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Closing lakes is not the answer. Put the limit to 1 first before you close it.

Also open it to walleye as there are lots of them in there disturbing the chain of other species.

There are still tons of fish in Gull limits just need to be managed and no matter how bad it gets I hope they never close it. If they do say good bye to every other keeping lake in the area...
Lakes are not closed. Catch and release does not equal closed.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:31 PM

Question This year is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post
Info on the Environment and Parks website indicates it was surveyed in 2014. Give the fisheries biologist in Red Deer a call and find out what the assessment of the results is.
I haven't fished it myself this year,but others that normally fish Gull for Whites and move around the lake looking for them,say that the population has crashed since last winter,so the survey may not tell the story.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post
Lakes are not closed. Catch and release does not equal closed.
Closed to retention... As far as many anglers are concerned it might as well be closed... Put C&R in place and they will go pillage the other lakes elsewhere.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:47 PM

Closing lakes is not the answer, as I said before close one lake increase pressure on all the others that are open. Limits per each lake that enforceable with actual tags per person per year. You still have daily lake limits and province wide possessions in place.

Say you were issued 30 tags for whitefish at time of licencing with only 10 of them usable at Gull Lake. Now you have control over exactly how many fish could be taken from a certain body of water.

The same idea could be applied for all species of fish. Open all the lakes with this control aspect you the spread out the pressure and still maintain harvest control numbers. As sportsmen of this province we need to come together on this before it to late.

Look at Lesser Slave Lake such a big lake and a huge huge amount of pressure, it to is sliding to collapsed numbers. Smell the coffee before its no late. Days of old are gone we must take charge and that means everyone of us.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:28 PM

100s of people fishing it regularly keeping every one they catch lol, I still do well out there occasionally but definatly hit and miss.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:42 PM

Default agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloughsharkjigger View Post
Hey talking moose, you are defiantly not too far off the issue dude! Permission to elaborate for you....

Not too long ago hard water fishing was exactly that "hard"!! Prior to 4 wheel drive, quads, snow bears, etc. a person really had to work at to even get on a lake never mind traveling all over the lake. Between 4 wheel drive vehicles, atv's and all other forms of deep snow transport no bay is sacred anymore.

We continously target harvest limits, size limits & timing restrictions as strategies towards fisheries management yet the true cause is access management. If people had to work a little harder for a keeper or two, abuse of the resource would not be such a problem.

Most of the population is way to lazy to walk the length of themselves let alone walk to the middle of Gull. Stop letting the trucks etc on the Lake. Lets see how many people will pack the shacks and all that gear LMAO.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploits View Post

Most of the population is way to lazy to walk the length of themselves let alone walk to the middle of Gull. Stop letting the trucks etc on the Lake. Lets see how many people will pack the shacks and all that gear LMAO.
99.9% of the whitefish i catch are a 2minute walk from shore in 2-6 feet of water... who cares if u can drive on.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:53 PM

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchthefisher View Post
99.9% of the whitefish i catch are a 2minute walk from shore in 2-6 feet of water... who cares if u can drive on.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:03 PM

gull lake was never commercially net fished, there are lots of whites in gull just look deep , the walleye need to be thinned out before the lake ends up like pigeon . one fish limit on all fish species and all lakes would solve a lot of problems. especially meat fisher men filling there freezers.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:58 PM

Walleye, what walleye? Have fished 25 days already and not seen a single walleye at Gull. I don't know the answer but I have never seen so many perch Limits mean nothing because they are never enforced. Is it possible that the perch are eating all the whitefish eggs?
Old 02-08-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchthefisher View Post
It's like that "90% of the fish occupy 10% of the lake"..,

90% of the anglers are too lazy to walk out while 10% have no problem with it
Old 02-08-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloughsharkjigger View Post
Hey talking moose, you are defiantly not too far off the issue dude! Permission to elaborate for you....

Not too long ago hard water fishing was exactly that "hard"!! Prior to 4 wheel drive, quads, snow bears, etc. a person really had to work at to even get on a lake never mind traveling all over the lake. Between 4 wheel drive vehicles, atv's and all other forms of deep snow transport no bay is sacred anymore.

We continously target harvest limits, size limits & timing restrictions as strategies towards fisheries management yet the true cause is access management. If people had to work a little harder for a keeper or two, abuse of the resource would not be such a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploits View Post

What about the old and crippled?

What about summer time? No boats?

The idea is to let people fish, why restrict that?

Be better off it you were 'not born in Alberta you cant fish here".Lol

You might have to limit harvest but no need to limit fishing opportunities.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 02-08-2016 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoteblaster View Post
Walleye, what walleye? Have fished 25 days already and not seen a single walleye at Gull. I don't know the answer but I have never seen so many perch Limits mean nothing because they are never enforced. Is it possible that the perch are eating all the whitefish eggs?
I have seen a fair amount walleye on the lake this year and last. Caught some very nice ones there this winter.

I don't know what gull was like years ago - because I've only started fishing there a few years ago - but there seems to be a good population of whitefish on the camera most days. In fact, there are many days, particularly earlier in the season where there are more whites on camera compared to the combined total of all other species (except maybe perch).

There are, however, lots and lots of perch there ...... that could be a contributing factor for sure.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I have seen a fair amount walleye on the lake this year and last. Caught some very nice ones there this winter.

I don't know what gull was like years ago - because I've only started fishing there a few years ago - but there seems to be a good population of whitefish on the camera most days. In fact, there are many days, particularly earlier in the season where there are more whites on camera compared to the combined total of all other species (except maybe perch).

There are, however, lots and lots of perch there ...... that could be a contributing factor for sure.
You must be the walleye whisperer lol. Funny how 2 people can fish the same lake and have such different experiences. Maybe one day they will allow you to keep walleye and you will be set. Good fishing!
Old 02-08-2016, 07:14 PM
Banned

It's been a long progressive decline for Gull including perch where the bigger ones have already been skimmed off. Over fishing and the poor environmental quality of the lake are contributing.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:30 PM

Even the perch have really declined in size used too hammer big perch now your lucky too get 1-2 over 10" I've just been heading out at 4pm when I go there fish till 6:00 or so was there Friday had 26 walleye on landed 17 my buddy had 4 on landed 2 I used my vexilar he wants one now lol such a light bite sure helps too be ready when they bite
Old 02-08-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the old man View Post
I haven't fished it myself this year,but others that normally fish Gull for Whites and move around the lake looking for them,say that the population has crashed since last winter,so the survey may not tell the story.
Unless there was a major fish kill, the population didn't "crash" in one year. Was there a summer kill? Again, talk to the biologist. Find out what the data show.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Closed to retention... As far as many anglers are concerned it might as well be closed... Put C&R in place and they will go pillage the other lakes elsewhere.
More catch and release water now than ever, yet more anglers now than since the 90's. Seems folks like catching fish more than keeping them. Why is following the regs 'pillaging'?
Old 02-08-2016, 10:18 PM

I would say whites in gull are about the same as last year. I caught my limit in about an hour last weekend...
Old 02-08-2016, 10:30 PM

Nothing to do with the change in regards to "no keeping Burbot after Feb 1" and the voracious appetite Burbot have for young whites.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoteblaster View Post
You must be the walleye whisperer lol. Funny how 2 people can fish the same lake and have such different experiences. Maybe one day they will allow you to keep walleye and you will be set. Good fishing!
Lol .... maybe ...... here's one from a couple weeks back ..... there is some decent ones in there. (Disregard the dumb look on my face .... not a great picture ...lol)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gull Walleye.jpg (48.2 KB, 109 views)
Old 02-09-2016, 10:37 AM

Gull has supported heavy fishing pressure for many years now. The forecast today for Feb. 9 is +7. The water looks like pea soup. We're talkin about a species sensitive to oxygen levels. Pretty simple.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:29 PM
Banned

Three days ago a friend said he seen some dead whitefish in several holes on the north end of the lake. They appeared to be fresh?
Old 07-14-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Closing lakes is not the answer. Put the limit to 1 first before you close it.

Also open it to walleye as there are lots of them in there disturbing the chain of other species.

There are still tons of fish in Gull limits just need to be managed and no matter how bad it gets I hope they never close it. If they do say good bye to every other keeping lake in the area...
100% agree!