Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-04-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipbobber View Post
Went to The Sportsmen's Den and they had both of these in stock. Both apparently made at the Browning factory. Dura Touch stock on the Browning seamed nice and is $100 cheaper than the Winchester SX3.
Does Browning even have a firearms factory? Or all their firearms all made by contractors?
Old 11-04-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytop B View Post
Love my Versamax
Same here. Second only to my Benelli montefeltro.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Does Browning even have a firearms factory? Or all their firearms all made by contractors?
I have no idea if they do or not. That's just what I was told. A couple I want to look at is the Newer Weatherby and a Franchi. Both have good reviews and are in my price range.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:59 PM

Default Shotgun

Hi
My 2cents. Don't buy any shotgun until you hold, fondle, cycle, and point it. The SG that fits you is thee one to buy!

I'd say try to shoulder as many as possible. Call Silverwillow Sporting Clays and ask what they have to rent on their course. Go spend an afternoon test piloting!

Me? Benilli SBE2 all the way!

good luck. keep us all posted on what you discover.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:01 PM

SX3 or save a bit and get an A400 or super black eagle.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:01 AM

I bought a new semi shotgun and had a $1000 budget. If you want amazing quality (made by the makers of Benelli) amazing online reveiws, and comes on sale occasionally for $800 and comes with 4 or 5 chokes....you need to look at a Stoeger M3500. Comes in black or max5 camo. Love mine!

https://youtu.be/T3hLXkUjiLU
Old 11-09-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordevr View Post
I bought a new semi shotgun and had a $1000 budget. If you want amazing quality (made by the makers of Benelli) amazing online reveiws, and comes on sale occasionally for $800 and comes with 4 or 5 chokes....you need to look at a Stoeger M3500. Comes in black or max5 camo. Love mine!

https://youtu.be/T3hLXkUjiLU
One has to be careful how companies are affiliated. The Turkish made Stoeger 3500 holds little resemblance to my Italian made Benelli Ethos. IIRC, Beretta owns Benelli, Benelli owns Franchi, they are all distributed through Stoeger that also builds the Weatherby Semis in Turkey.

On the other side of the coin, you can often purchase high quality firearms like a Savage Milano O/U that is actually manufactured by the Italian gun maker FAIR. The Weatherby O/Us have been made by some reputable makers over the years as well, then there is the Belgium made Brownings verses the Japanese, etc. etc.

In the case mentioned above the only real comparison between a Beretta and a Stoeger is that they are both shotguns that are linked via cooperate structure. The same holds true of the Stoeger/Benelli relationship except that they are both inertia driven shotguns.

There is a direct or at least there very much appears to be a direct relationship between the Italian made Franchi and the Italian made Benelli shotguns when it comes to actual manufacturing. The Benelli being better finished than the Franchi but the Franchi still a very good quality shotgun and arguably the best in it's price range.

Reviews are a little more mixed on the Stoeger 3500 and it seems like many love them but there is some real lemons mixed in. I think if you got a good one it is as good as anything under $1000. I have been meaning to pick up for a run but just haven't found the right deal yet.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytop B View Post
Love my Versamax
I'm far too distracted by rimfires and varmint rifles...but this^ will be the first semi I consider when I eventually get a modern one. I've shot the tactical version and was amazed at how soft-shooting it was. It is a heavy gun for sure, that likely plays into the reduced (felt) recoil as well.

I do like the lines of the Maxus, and have read good things about them. It would maybe be my second choice, but I'd look for a chance to shoot one before I made the call.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
I'm far too distracted by rimfires and varmint rifles...but this^ will be the first semi I consider when I eventually get a modern one. I've shot the tactical version and was amazed at how soft-shooting it was. It is a heavy gun for sure, that likely plays into the reduced (felt) recoil as well.

I do like the lines of the Maxus, and have read good things about them. It would maybe be my second choice, but I'd look for a chance to shoot one before I made the call.
The question is how do they fit you? Many rifle shooters that are not used to shotguns overlook this most important factor, and choose shotguns for the wrong reasons.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
The question is how do they fit you? Many rifle shooters that are not used to shotguns overlook this most important factor, and choose shotguns for the wrong reasons.
I love my Maxus, beware of the inertia driven guns, you must have a good shoulder contact with the stock, or you may experience some bad cycling issues. Noticed this while shooting from a blind and a coffin blind, when you are shooting off angle,, just may experience....
Old 11-09-2017, 04:44 PM

Default 44thAve SW ants

try the Beretta 301 to 303 they've proven flawless for my use..and with the savings buy a truck load of ammo and clays and go out and practice.

enjoy your shooting
Old 11-10-2017, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Reviews are a little more mixed on the Stoeger 3500 and it seems like many love them but there is some real lemons mixed in. I think if you got a good one it is as good as anything under $1000. I have been meaning to pick up for a run but just haven't found the right deal yet.
I would have to disagree with this statement. (See pictures). I posted pictures of a few Shotguns and as far as reveiws go you can't beat it. M3500 has 79 reveiws of ppl that own the shotgun and it still has a 5 star rating. There are not many that have a 5 star rating with close to 100 different ppl rating it. You can say what you want but this gun gets great reveiws. Any gun can have lemons but the majority is positive. Heck look at the rem 700. Tons of them have crappy triggers but it's still the most common rifle for builds. The guy doing the video reveiw I posted earlier has a ton of gun reveiws and lovers it. Bang for buck it's hard to beat even compared to many shotguns that are far more expensive. Just my 2 cents.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1681.jpg (11.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1682.jpg (12.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1683.jpg (14.3 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by Fordevr; 11-10-2017 at 01:02 AM.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:48 AM

Quote:
I would have to disagree with this statement. (See pictures). I posted pictures of a few Shotguns and as far as reveiws go you can't beat it. M3500 has 79 reveiws of ppl that own the shotgun and it still has a 5 star rating. There are not many that have a 5 star rating with close to 100 different ppl rating it. You can say what you want but this gun gets great reveiws. Any gun can have lemons but the majority is positive. Heck look at the rem 700. Tons of them have crappy triggers but it's still the most common rifle for builds. The guy doing the video reveiw I posted earlier has a ton of gun reveiws and lovers it. Bang for buck it's hard to beat even compared to many shotguns that are far more expensive. Just my 2 cents.
As with anything else in life, as long as you are happy with it.

And you are not disagreeing with me. I think they are a serviceable Turkish made shotgun but shouldn't be compared with the top line Italian autos just on finish alone. Its like comparing a Yildiz or CZ OU to one of the B guns and there are many more tiers above. Like I mentioned, when I see one for a really good deal I am going to grab it for a loaner/back up gun.

I don't mind a 700 either BTW and I usually have a couple in the safe. They don't compare to my daily driver but very nice none the less. If it was all I had to hunt with I wouldn't feel I was missing a thing.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:57 AM

Quote:
You also need to look at who is doing the reviews. In some cases the same people may own an A400 and a Baikal, but for the most part, the person that buy a Baikal made their choice based almost entirely on price, and they will never own an A400 or a SBE2, or a Maxus to compare the Baikal to. As such, these people don't expect the fit and finish or the handling or the features of a higher end shotgun, so their review is based on a lower set of expectations than most people reviewing an A400, or a SBE2.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Oh...I choose shotguns for the wrong reasons at least 1 or 2 times a year. lol I get it though. I was only cranking gophers with that Versamax tactical, and most weren't moving when I was. Naturally, I preferred the wing shots...flushing gophers in tall hay. There may be ways to have more fun with a shotgun..just struggling to think of one at the moment.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
You also need to look at who is doing the reviews. In some cases the same people may own an A400 and a Baikal, but for the most part, the person that buy a Baikal made their choice based almost entirely on price, and they will never own an A400 or a SBE2, or a Maxus to compare the Baikal to. As such, these people don't expect the fit and finish or the handling or the features of a higher end shotgun, so their review is based on a lower set of expectations than most people reviewing an A400, or a SBE2.
Yes this is true but a 5 star rating after 79 reveiws is still impressive. Most other ones are under 20 reveiws and already have a less than perfect rating. As far as many of the buyers never owning a more expensive shotgun I would again look at the video I posted earlier and I can assure you that gentleman has owned more expensive rifles and still raves about the m3500. I know there are much better semi shotguns but for the $1500 and under I think this one is hard to beat. I guess I was just surprised no one else had mentioned it. Like someone previously posted its what ever fits best. That said when I purchased this gun I did a test. I shut my eyes and had the guy behind the counter hand me 3 shotguns in the $1500ish and under price range The rem Versa felt best but I still went with the Stoeger because of the positive reveiws and it also felt very comfortable.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
As with anything else in life, as long as you are happy with it.

And you are not disagreeing with me. I think they are a serviceable Turkish made shotgun but shouldn't be compared with the top line Italian autos just on finish alone. Its like comparing a Yildiz or CZ OU to one of the B guns and there are many more tiers above. Like I mentioned, when I see one for a really good deal I am going to grab it for a loaner/back up gun.

I don't mind a 700 either BTW and I usually have a couple in the safe. They don't compare to my daily driver but very nice none the less. If it was all I had to hunt with I wouldn't feel I was missing a thing.
Ya agree I wouldn't compare with top line Italian guns but would compare with any $2000 and under shotgun, which is amazing since I got the camo for $759 I believe. There might be better ones for under $2000, I just havnt found one that I think beats it yet. Maybe comparable but not better and if it's just comparable why spend the extra $$$. I have never owned a Benelli but I have shot my buddies Benelli with the Stoeger side by side and it was slightly nicer, but for me it was not worth the extra $$$ for the extras I got.again just personal preference.

On a side not that would be a great idea. Line up 30-50ppl with different shotguns and then ppl can try them all on field.🤔🤔🤔. Like a shot show but you actually get to shoot them.😁

Last edited by Fordevr; 11-10-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
If you had $1500.00 to buy a semi auto shotgun what would you buy?
I would buy a well cared for Rem 1100 and a couple barrels ,a 3" with screw in chokes , and a 2 3/4" IC or skeet , and a 2 3/4" full choke and a case or 2 of shells with the left over money.

Old 11-10-2017, 12:13 PM

The bulk of the bad reviews on the Stoeger's were 6-7 yrs ago on the predecessor model to the 3500, they apparently were not well made. Those complaints seem to have disappeared with the 3500. I've seen lots of complaints on the Browning Duratouch finish as well, but, that may or may not have been cured now. Heard complaints on the Super Vinci about smacking fingers on the back of the trigger guard from guys with big hands. Nothing is perfect. Winchester recalls on the SX's, Remington had recalls on the first batch of Versamax. They seem to have cured that.
Another auto gun that has been getting good word of mouth is Fabarm, I think it is an XLR5, may be out of the OP's budget though, 2500 range as I remember seeing. I have seen them at TSE, they are nice. Wholesale has 20% off guns now, may be worth a look to see if they have anything useful left, that is on at that discount.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
Oh...I choose shotguns for the wrong reasons at least 1 or 2 times a year. lol I get it though. I was only cranking gophers with that Versamax tactical, and most weren't moving when I was. Naturally, I preferred the wing shots...flushing gophers in tall hay. There may be ways to have more fun with a shotgun..just struggling to think of one at the moment.
I was referring to the people that choose a shotgun based on appearance or reputation, and that end up with a shotgun that they shoot poorly, because it doesn't fit them.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:05 AM

Going threw Stettler today. Anyone know what brands of shotguns they sell at the sporting goods store just off the highway?
Old 11-11-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Going threw Stettler today. Anyone know what brands of shotguns they sell at the sporting goods store just off the highway?
If it is possible, you would be better off stopping in at Bashaw, as they have a good selection there.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
If it is possible, you would be better off stopping in at Bashaw, as they have a good selection there.
Bashaw has a great deal on SX3
Old 11-13-2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranch11 View Post
The SX4 is a good gun, but I think the sx3 is a bit better. I think they cheapened up the 4. I’ve shot the 4 and it’s pretty nice. But I found a smokin deal on a Maxus and man, you can’t beat it. I also own an A5, and it’s a bit more enjoyable to shoot.
I also think the weatherby semi are pretty good guns as I’ve had lots of luck with mine
Anyone know why the SX4 is cheaper to buy that the SX3? Isn't the SX4 a upgrade to the SX3 but the SX4 is a lot cheaper.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:06 AM

Search Randy Wakeman's review of the SX-4.
He is quite critical of the downgrade from the SX-3.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:11 PM

Cabelas had a sale on stoeger m3500 that I just missed out on. Camo for the same price as the black one.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:46 PM

Another vote for browning A5. I have the Hunter 3 1/2”, looks classy, kills geese.
And the speed load plus feature really is awesome.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:53 PM

Bought a NIB Browning Maxas from a forum member. New just need some warmer weather to get out and give her a go.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
I would buy a well cared for Rem 1100 and a couple barrels ,a 3" with screw in chokes , and a 2 3/4" IC or skeet , and a 2 3/4" full choke and a case or 2 of shells with the left over money.

I think I only met one person ever who could not hit something with an 1100!!
Great guns .....
Cat
Old 12-30-2017, 07:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I think I only met one person ever who could not hit something with an 1100!!
Great guns .....
Cat
That would be "me".