Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-05-2016, 05:07 PM

Smile Shore fishing near Edmonton?

Hey all,
new here and new to Edmonton. I'm sure this has been asked a million times.
Can anyone suggest a lake(s) to do some shore fishing near Edmonton?
Hopefully with 1.5hrs drive of Edmonton. I don't care what kind of fish are being caught just somewhere close to get to that I can cast from shore or go in with my hipwaders. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:52 PM

The river has been treating me good lately. If you do a Google search you can find a few spots.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:19 PM

Right in Edmonton would you suggest? I also heard out by Devon was good for the river. Thanks
Old 07-05-2016, 09:40 PM

I go right in the city itself. I usually hike for a couple km down riverside paths til I find a spot that interests me and give it a go.

I'll save you the trouble of fishing under the groat bridge, it's too shallow and full of weeds there to catch much. So far that's the only place I've been skunked on the river.

Wear polarized sunglasses and you can see the deep spots in the river if you climb up the bank a ways. Cast a line into the deep spots and you will catch something.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:16 AM

great thanks for the info.
Just curious if you catch and release or do you actually eat fish out of the river? I just read tonight that it's recommended you not eat fish more than once a week out of the river due to mercury levels. I'm used to fishing lakes in northern Sask rather than the river.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:10 AM

You can try Wabamun or East Pit Lake (I think they're like 10 minutes away from one another).
Old 07-06-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2edmonton View Post
great thanks for the info.
Just curious if you catch and release or do you actually eat fish out of the river? I just read tonight that it's recommended you not eat fish more than once a week out of the river due to mercury levels. I'm used to fishing lakes in northern Sask rather than the river.

In the city I wouldn't eat them. I was jet boating through the city in a storm and the amount of tampons, condoms, diapers, maxi pads and needles that got washed into the river was gross! I couldn't believe what I saw! But I caught a nice pike this weekend west of Drayton valley and ate it and was a very good tasting fish!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk