Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-15-2017, 02:45 PM

Default Looking to upgrade Scope!

Hello
I have a Weaver 3- 9x40 scope & its coming off a Savage Arms, Model 11- 111 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 . I want to go next level up. Does anyone have any suggestions. Im not looking for something over $500. Im looking to take 500yd shots or farther. The weaver scope can not go far. I kind of want something that will zoom in. I was told to go to a sports store that is gonna close its doors, i think its called outdoor sports. I think i will go there maybe on boxing day...but would like some pointers
Old 12-15-2017, 02:51 PM

Many previous similar threads. Do a search for “Scopes”. You will find lots of info.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaWild View Post
Hello
I have a Weaver 3- 9x40 scope & its coming off a Savage Arms, Model 11- 111 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 . I want to go next level up. Does anyone have any suggestions. Im not looking for something over $500. Im looking to take 500yd shots or farther. The weaver scope can not go far. I kind of want something that will zoom in. I was told to go to a sports store that is gonna close its doors, i think its called outdoor sports. I think i will go there maybe on boxing day...but would like some pointers
Have a look through as many as you can in your price range. Get the one that looks the best for your eyes,
Old 12-15-2017, 06:23 PM

I did Nikon glass this spring.

Got lucky picking up a BDC reticle scope in the $550 range.

Ok glass, solid dial up & down with side dial parallax.

The BDC allows me range from 100 to 600 meters with 178gr 30/06 bullets.

Don
Old 12-15-2017, 07:00 PM
Banned

I myself try to follow a rule
Spend at least as much as the rifle on glass
Good quality glass will help bring out your rifles accuracy potential. I myself like to have magnification when I need it. As for brand, im on my 3rd Leupold. Never regretted for a second spending a bit more
Old 12-16-2017, 12:09 AM

I would suggest Bushnell & Leupold as your best options for under $500, also Wholesale Sports is running low on scopes as they have been winding down operations for several months.

You don't mention your experience and shooting capability, a better scope does not automatically allow you to shoot farther; from the original post I gather that is the intent?
Old 12-16-2017, 10:10 AM
Banned

am i mistaken?........i thot wss was closing on dec 28th? forever? boxing day may be a rude surprise.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:36 AM

Get the best Leopold that fits your budget, also you may need to swap out rings and base, those are often overlooked but are key to your gun holding its zero
Old 12-16-2017, 01:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlightlyDistracting View Post
I myself try to follow a rule
Spend at least as much as the rifle on glass
Good quality glass will help bring out your rifles accuracy potential. I myself like to have magnification when I need it. As for brand, im on my 3rd Leupold. Never regretted for a second spending a bit more
I see the highlighted statement a lot and I can understand it for long range shooting (over 600 yards). You did not stipulate if you were long range target shooting or hunting, I think it matters. When hunting where I believe most shots to be under 300 yards or less I don't think the statement is valid.

For example with an 800 rifle and a 400.00 scope getting moa or slightly less how much more potential is your hunting rifle going to get if you put an 800 scope on it?
Old 12-16-2017, 01:55 PM

Leopold vx2 withy BDC will be around your price range .
Its a quality scope that will be fine for 500-600 yds.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
I see the highlighted statement a lot and I can understand it for long range shooting (over 600 yards). You did not stipulate if you were long range target shooting or hunting, I think it matters. When hunting where I believe most shots to be under 300 yards or less I don't think the statement is valid.

For example with an 800 rifle and a 400.00 scope getting moa or slightly less how much more potential is your hunting rifle going to get if you put an 800 scope on it?
Like i said accuracy potential. In most hunting circumstances acceptable might be a couple inches at say 150 yards. ( Im just using this as an example). You can attain that accuracy with quite low end scopes. If you want to hunt at longer distances or shoot paper for accuracy that same scope most likely wont do the job.
Not to mention you owe it to the animal to make shot placement in a spot to make an ethical kill.
Even a shorter distances having more magnification to be able to really rifine your point of aim is what I like.

I have a 24 power simmons on a 22-250 cheap scope. But it sits on an axis.
My point is this. Most modern rifles are capable of more accuracy than the shooter. The scope enhances your aim . Why not spend at least as much on it.?
I wont buy a scope without parallax adjustment
Old 12-16-2017, 04:08 PM
Banned

No one has yet mentioned "Vortex". I've had a few of them and still have a couple on my rifles. They have proven very good for me, and the price isn't over the top.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:50 PM

Yes, Vortex has an outstanding warranty, and good value for the price points.

https://www.vortexcanada.net/en/vip-warranty/

The old saying of 1 power for every 100 yards is changing, but for normal "if that's even a word now days,"

For normal harvesting conditions the 3-9 what ever lens is still a capable contender. I've done ok with my little optic to the 1 k mark,,, don't get me wrong as it ain't nothing like the target unit I have, but it is very do-able so long as the rifle stays planted.

Here some good quality to optics to check out,,, if I recall I think they are based on $ Usd dollars.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/10-be...et-riflescopes

I still have a pile of Leopold scopes in my cabinet.
One might be heading in for a custom work over.

Don
Old 12-16-2017, 05:00 PM
Banned

As of now and with many years under my belt, I've never had to use neither Leupold's nor Vortex's warranty.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
As of now and with many years under my belt, I've never had to use neither Leupold's nor Vortex's warranty.
Same here. I have a couple Leupolds that I like, and swam unharmed in High River, but I really can’t say anything bad about my 4-12 Vortex either.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:58 PM

Vortex viper and razor lines seem to be pretty good. Imo the crossfire and diamondback are pure garbage.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:03 PM

I have a Diamondback with the Adjustable Objective on the muzzle end. I don’t see them out there anymore, but it works well. It’s been on a couple different rifles for 4 years now.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:51 PM

Nikon Monarch 3 would be my choice for best glass in the 425-550 range. That's Leupold VX-2 range as well but the Monarch's kill the VX-2 for brightness in low light conditions and are a one piece tube.

Don't waste your $$ on a VX-1 unless you only hunt when the suns out.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:15 AM

I'm a Leupold man all the way but when I need a budget scope. I don't hesitate to buy a Nikon. They track great while zeroing, glass is clear, and they hold up great.

Finally convinced my brother to buy a Nikon instead of a vortex for his savage 11 308 and he's shooting 5" groups at 500. Great scopes.

Good luck with your search.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
I'm about to send a Vortex Diamonback back for repairs, it drops 2" at 50 yards on every shot.

Of all the scopes I have owned, Leupold and the cheap Simmons are the only ones I have never had problems with.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."

Tags
alberta, hunting, rifle, scope