Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-05-2010, 12:34 PM

Default never fished NSR by Devon

hey guys i just moved to stony plain and i wanted to fish the river by devon just wanted to know what to use as for hooks or bait could you guys help me out please and thanks
Old 05-05-2010, 02:35 PM

I've fished only a couple of times for 2-3 hours and found the best spot is on the south side furthest east of the boat launch, you can usually drive right on to the bank. Use a simple pickerel rig. I spread out the stoppers on the main line and add more line to the lower hook so it sits on bottom. Use a large night crawler or so on the bottom hook and a minnow on the top hook. Use 3-4oz triangle weight with a snap off line for the weight. This allows the weight to snap off if it gets snagged up and not to lose your rig. I've only caught walleye goldeye and suckers there but there's some big sturg there also, not sure quite where though.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:58 PM

thanks i was there tonight after work and fished with the a spoon and i did try a rig but no fish lol im going to try oh the east side of the city tomorrow
Old 05-05-2010, 07:24 PM

I'm not going to share any honey holes but look for deep slowing moving water arund the back of sandspits etc.. I caught a 13.5 pike on the NSR this afternoon just doing that.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:31 AM

Lol ok thanks may see ya out there !
Old 05-06-2010, 06:32 AM

I've seen lots of people fishing that stretch over by the boat launch, but I've never seen anybody pull a fish out of there. I know it's fairly shallow along that section for the most part. I've heard of people pulling fish from around the bridge piles, and if you feel like going for a hike, there's a hole downstream of the boat launch below the pumphouse.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 05-06-2010, 08:24 PM

i just got back from fishing the east side of the city i had a blast i got 2 in two hours i was using my blue fox spinner sauger first and then i got walleye with my mepps walleye was around 20 in 5 to 6 lbs i think really nice color !!!!
Old 05-06-2010, 09:40 PM

That's awesome, glad to hear you had a good time on the river today!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 05-07-2010, 05:29 PM

I use thick wire extention cord insted if lead weight. It sinks great and the v or L shape I bend it into doesnt snag much at all. Just offering it out there for yall