Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-28-2012, 01:24 PM

Smile Moisture-wicking underwear!!

The Hublet is looking for some moisture-wicking underwear (tops in particular) that actually work and do not cost a fortune! He has tried a couple from MWW but they do not work. He just ends up cold and clammy!!
Any suggestions, as usual, will be appreciated!

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 10-28-2012, 01:27 PM

Under armour heat gear or nike sparq gear
Old 10-28-2012, 02:03 PM

I had good luck with Helly Hansen
Old 10-28-2012, 02:04 PM

Anything with the material called "polypropylene" in whatever you are looking at. It is a synthetic material and is the cats meow for wicking moisture from the skin. Look for garments that have a high percentage of polypro in them. The higher the percentage the more money you will pay. I wear it often and for something so thin it can keep a person really warm without the bulk.

Good luck!
Old 10-28-2012, 02:06 PM

Red Ram
Old 10-28-2012, 02:55 PM

just get him diapers. throw it away after the hunt.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:21 PM

Under Armour heat gear is the best out of what I have tried. It has to fit skin tight to work. A sleevless T-shirt is a good thing against the skin as it can be tight and doesn't constrict the underarms and shoulders. Glad to hear the mww stuff doesn't work too well before spending money on it. I'm not impressed with a lot of mww stuff actually. They have all these tests like with the t-max that it is the warmest, but they never tell how much t-max is in anything. So I believe 40 grams of t-max might be warmer than 40 grams of thinsulate, but is 40 grams of t-max warmer than 50 grams of thinsulate? The t-max stuff I have bought hasn't been as good as my thinsulate or wool stuff.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:24 PM

I use Helly Hanson and it does have polypropylene in it. It works great. Just make sure it fits snug in order to work.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:28 PM

That under armour and red ram stuff is pretty expensive, isn't it? Helly Hansen just gets all wet, so he is disappointed with that.Where does the moisture go after being wicked away...into your shirt?

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 10-28-2012, 03:35 PM

Good old fashioned wool, mountian co-op. Best advice is to not over dress, strip down while your working hiking etc. then put the clothes on when you sit. Your right in that although moisture can be wicked from your skin, it can also be trapped in your clothing, by your outer clothing.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
X2...you read my mind
Old 10-28-2012, 04:09 PM

Talking

That is just yukky! I have never handled a diaper in my life and I'll be damned if I'm gonna start now!

Old 10-28-2012, 04:18 PM

I've got a pair of Icebreakers. They aren't cheap, but holy hell do they work good. Got them from Camper's Village.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:04 PM
Banned

I have Under Armour and X-Scent...both quite reliable..from X-Scent I got from top to socks...moisture wicking and scent control..I can come in from the field and hit the disco in Vermilion without missing a beat or changing!!

http://www.bkkenterprises.com/products.asp?cat=17

you'll have to browse to about page 6 or 7..
Old 10-28-2012, 07:13 PM

Default Mww

The MWW worked well for me in the desert at 45+ degrees, kept me cool. Have not tried them in the cold yet.

You do have to vent though or you just build up condensation, so to speak.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:16 PM

Weird...after (more than) four million years of evolution , humans are still trying to stay dry
Old 10-28-2012, 07:34 PM

Icebreaker is very nice but if you want something cheaper you may want to try the True North brand in Costco. They have 100% merino wool top (or bottom) that should do the job. They also have Paradox merino wool blend (less than 20% wool).

The True North 100% shirts can be found on one of the tables, no package. They are $19.99. The Paradox wool blend (packaged, in one of those big cardboard boxes) is $24.99 top or bottom.

If you have a Costco membership or have a friend who has the membership it's worth going there to have a look.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:39 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by althetrainer View Post
Icebreaker is very nice but if you want something cheaper you may want to try the True North brand in Costco. They have 100% merino wool top (or bottom) that should do the job. They also have Paradox merino wool blend (less than 20% wool).

The True North 100% shirts can be found on one of the tables, no package. They are $19.99. The Paradox wool blend (packaged, in one of those big cardboard boxes) is $24.99 top or bottom.

If you have a Costco membership or have a friend who has the membership it's worth going there to have a look.
We happen to be going to Costco tomorrow...We will check that out. Thanks!!

Old 10-28-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
ROFL, seriously though merino(mec,ice breaker) if you can afford it(I've picked up some from value village before) , or Helly Hansen's are pretty decent, Marks has them.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:49 AM

if you keep your eyes open on camofire.com they have the core4element merino base layers, they're absolutely great at keeping you dry and warm. I've worn them day and night on a couple of camping trips (only had the one pair) and they barely got smelly.

I think they're about 40$ each
Old 10-29-2012, 09:29 AM

Stanfield polypro is as good as anything you can get them at marks,and yer not paying double for a name
Old 10-29-2012, 09:35 AM

I bought icebreakers this spring and have been using them all year. The best i've used hands down. Expensive though.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post
T He has tried a couple from MWW but they do not work. He just ends up cold and clammy!! Any suggestions, as usual, will be appreciated!
This is kinda funny cause lastnight I was wearing my MWW polyprop long undies and long sleeve shirt as well.
Wind was 12-15 knots apparent and a cool 12 Celsius with some drizzle tossed in for good measure.
It was cheap and works fine for me , but obviously not for everyone.
You will expect to spend upwards of $30 for each piece you buy.
Chill gaurd is what I was wearing...
UA works for the Men and Women who protect us, so maybe there is something to e said there.
Tight Groups,
Rob