Old 10-27-2012, 06:31 AM
Banned

Here's the solution:

Old 10-27-2012, 08:20 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
pick me up on the way by
Wrong direction. We are talking a long ways North here. And from here.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:26 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
Do you think the ice is thin enough to bust it up with a 12' or 14' Aluminum with a 10 HP to get to them? If so, maybe you could get out to them with your dip net and put them into some large dog kennels for transport to a large body of open water.

I don't know what F&W would say about this but it might work considering the dugout is only 100'X400'.
The large body of open water is no problem, netting the birds is quiet possible from the shore. I think.

Dog kennels for transport, I hadn't thought of that. It might work.
I'll have to check around, maybe the vet clinic has five they could loan us.
I don't know anyone else that would even have a kennel big enough.

I wish I knew more about what they would do once relocated. There could be an issue with the release site. That large body of water flows north.
It could carry them to an even worse situation. IE. the same predicament but where no one would find them.

Anyone know if Lac Cardinal is still open water?
Old 10-27-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

Anyone know if Lac Cardinal is still open water?
keg, i googled it, and they dont need water to take off. maybe just clear off the snow in a feild for a makeshift runway or something similar.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:13 AM

Here's some ideas for consideration, in no particular order:

1. Swans are not difficult to handle, it seems. That is good if you do a catch-and-release.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUfS...eature=related

2. If swans can take off from land (and I'm not sure about that), then perhaps you can drop a ramp of some sort into the dugout and they'll walk out and leave.

3. Spread some salt onto the ice. You should have lots of it? Swans do swim in the ocean, so I don't think the salt would kill them. Use lots, tho, to make sure the ice melts and they can leave before they get dehydrated.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:22 AM

We can talk about it until they are dead, or do something.

If anyone wants to split fuel, I have room for 3 more, let's pick a meeting spot and go. No smokers in my truck, sorry.

It's a long haul, but worth it I think.

Is there a warm place to bunk them for a few days to get strength up?

Anyone know any media up there? Publicize the rescue and get more help.

Anyone there got an aluminum boat or 2?
Old 10-27-2012, 11:27 AM

Browse Categories

HomeHow to contact usWhere to find usHelp us
How you can helpMake a donationSponsor a swanCorporate sponsorsFoster or adopt swans About us
About The Swan SanctuaryAchievements and awardsNew sanctuary details General information
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)Swan speciesCode of practiceEnglish wildlife lawHistory of swansUseful links Medical/Veterinary informationPhoto galleriesMoviesPatients' corner Do you shop on the internet? If so, use the Amazon & Easyfundraising links at the bottom of the page and earn the sanctuary commission.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
The following list of questions are the questions we are asked on almost a daily basis - we hope the answers will be of use.

Swan-related Questions

What do swans eat?

Swans living on fresh water will typically eat pondweed, stonewort and wigeon grass, as well as tadpoles and insects such as milfoil.

Swans living on salt water will typically eat sea arrow grass, salt marsh grass, eel grass, club rush and green algae, as well as insects and molluscs.

What can I feed swans?

If you want to feed swans then give them fresh bread (mould is poisonous to them), grain such as wheat or corn, and fresh greens such as lettuce or spinach. The food should be thrown onto the water so that they can swallow water with the food - feeding them on land is environmentally unsound and encourages the swans to leave the water whenever they see people which can bring them into harm from cars, dogs etc.

Can swans be over-fed?

No. Swans are not greedy creatures and will only eat what they need.

Is it normal for a swan to fold one of its legs up onto its back?

Yes. It's like us crossing our legs, plus the large surface area of the foot is used for body temperature control like an elephant's ear, absorbing heat from the sun when necessary.

At what age do swans start mating?

A juvenile swan normally lives as part of a flock until it is about 4 years old and deemed as being an adult. It then seeks out a mate, most commonly from the flock it's living in, and heads off with the mate to find their own mating territory. If another mating pair is nearby then problems can occur in the form of a territorial battle, the losers of which will have to move on in search of another "patch".

How long do swans normally live?

In the wild, with all the hazards they have to live with (vandals, pollution, dogs, mink, overhead cables, bridges, pylons, lead poisoning, fishing-tackle injuries etc), an average lifespan would be 12 years. In a protected environment this figure can reach 30 years.

Can swans take off from land?

Yes, but they need at least 30 yards to become airborne and the same again to reach a safe height to clear surrounding obstructions such as houses.

site designed and created by i-logic

Last edited by pickrel pat; 10-27-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:30 AM
Banned

Where is Ducks Unlimited? Where is their banding nets?

Where is the regional wildlife biologist. The local warehouse should have some sort of launcher and banding net system?

Has anyone contacted the news sourxes?

Need any special equipment? Check the local oilfeild guys. They have all sorts of weird stuff.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:35 AM

What about fire and rescue there? If they were here I am getting I could get a crew rounded up for practise.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:37 AM

Default Idea #4

Here's one from my wife that you might want to try first....

She says that this happened sometimes in NZ. Their birds don't migrate, but would get stuck in semi-frozen ponds and just sit there. Some of the lads went out with shotguns and blasted the ice. This also gets them moving and if they get up onto land, she says they can take off.

Sounds like a Down Under solution, alright.

Might work. Can't see the harm in trying.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:45 PM
Gone Hunting

Default Photos

I got the photos I wanted, and I talked to the landowner.
He was unaware of the peril these Swans are facing, but when I told him what was likely to happen he informed me that there had been another Swan on another pond on land he owned. I said he had found that Swan dead in the middle of the field two days after he first noticed them.
He said he hadn't thought about how vulnerable they are with so little water for protection.

So here they are. They are Tundra Swans and there is six of them, not five as I had believed.

The landowner said he would have no objection to a rescue effort being attempted. Now I have to talk to F&W, but Byron wasn't home when I called today.

As you can see, there are two Swans sleeping on the ice. They were standing watching traffic when I pulled off the highway to photograph them.
My presence seem to alarm them as they started running.

But they didn't run far. Only about ten feet or so, then the rear one dropped to the ice, in fact it is on it's way down in this photo. Next the other one followed.

They only watched me for a minute or two before tucking their heads under their wings.

I found it a bit worrying. Like maybe they are too week to even stay on their feet for long.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:49 PM

Hell Jim, I wish I was closer I would bring some guys.

Are there any firefighters there with hearts?

Anyone that wants to go, last time I will offer, meet me on the way, take 1 vehicle and split fuel. We would have to leave bloody early tomorrow morning, like 2-3 am.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
Here's some ideas for consideration, in no particular order:

1. Swans are not difficult to handle, it seems. That is good if you do a catch-and-release.

2. If swans can take off from land (and I'm not sure about that), then perhaps you can drop a ramp of some sort into the dugout and they'll walk out and leave.

3. Spread some salt onto the ice. You should have lots of it? Swans do swim in the ocean, so I don't think the salt would kill them. Use lots, tho, to make sure the ice melts and they can leave before they get dehydrated.
I haven't handled swans, but an experience of mine leads me to believe they may be a handful...

When my friends and I were younger and ambitious we were fishing in a 12' alum. with a 2hp motor. One friend had his jack russell dog. There were swans on the lake. Eventally the jack russell went overboard and made it's way towards the swans...they mobbed the dog. We had to go in with the 12er and 2hp and rescue the dog. Once we plucked the dog back into the boat the swans followed us and were flapping there wings, striking with there long necks, hissing, clacking the whole bit. The funny part was that with such a small motor and 3 teenagers in the boat we could hardly outrun the damn birds....it was quite funny for the two of us that scurried up to the bow of the boat....

It's interesting that seeing the pretty white birds stranded strikes an emotional chord with some people...enough so to solicit people for rescue attempts...all the while in the summertime they can drive by wetlands being drained and think to themselves; "hmm that's a shame" and keep on driving.

food for thought as they say...
Old 10-27-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon View Post
I haven't handled swans, but an experience of mine leads me to believe they may be a handful...

When my friends and I were younger and ambitious we were fishing in a 12' alum. with a 2hp motor. One friend had his jack russell dog. There were swans on the lake. Eventally the jack russell went overboard and made it's way towards the swans...they mobbed the dog. We had to go in with the 12er and 2hp and rescue the dog. Once we plucked the dog back into the boat the swans followed us and were flapping there wings, striking with there long necks, hissing, clacking the whole bit. The funny part was that with such a small motor and 3 teenagers in the boat we could hardly outrun the damn birds....it was quite funny for the two of us that scurried up to the bow of the boat....

It's interesting that seeing the pretty white birds stranded strikes an emotional chord with some people...enough so to solicit people for rescue attempts...all the while in the summertime they can drive by wetlands being drained and think to themselves; "hmm that's a shame" and keep on driving.

food for thought as they say...

In the middle of summer, bellies full of food and full of energy, I bet they were. Now in the cold, looking as weak as they do, I bet a blanket would hold them.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:06 PM
Banned

I have dissected swans during a necropsy.

You would be looking at 15 to 30 pounds of mad flapping trouble.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
I have dissected swans during a necropsy.

You would be looking at 15 to 30 pounds of mad flapping trouble.
Every situation the same?
Old 10-27-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Hell Jim, I wish I was closer I would bring some guys.

Are there any firefighters there with hearts?

Anyone that wants to go, last time I will offer, meet me on the way, take 1 vehicle and split fuel. We would have to leave bloody early tomorrow morning, like 2-3 am.
This is B.S. I am as far away in Alberta as geographically possible and ready to jump in my truck.

I will EMT $50 dollars for fuel to the first guy that drives up there with the purpose of getting these Swan's south.

Last edited by Sneeze; 10-27-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:21 PM

I think he is about 8-9 hours north of edmonton, so 11-12 hours for me. If I could get 3 guys I would be packing. I figure 100 a head, but I'm not going alone. I think a boat tied onto the winch of my truck to get back, and a half dozen guys with blankets and nets, we could save them. Get the bird on land, throw a blanket on it, wrapi it up and get another one.

It's not a goddamn crocodile.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:27 PM

Common guys. Some of us must know people close by.

Thinking ahead:

Any folks with Dog Crates they can spare along the way?

What kind of feed can these things be given to put some jam back in their step. They are going to be very weak and I doubt they can handle themselves into Southern Montana. We are frozen up South of Lethbridge and I do not think the river's will have enough food for them to get healthy before they keep going on their trip.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:03 PM

Talk to some of the other farmers. If Laurie Michalchuk is around he will probably help. Or Mike Pawlowich, David Vos. If I still lived there I would help.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikezilk View Post
Talk to some of the other farmers. If Laurie Michalchuk is around he will probably help. Or Mike Pawlowich, David Vos. If I still lived there I would help.
Can you phone them?
Old 10-27-2012, 08:14 PM

I need to know whos farm they are on. And if KegRiver can pm his number I will get him numbers of the closest guys I think might help
Old 10-27-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikezilk View Post
I need to know whos farm they are on. And if KegRiver can pm his number I will get him numbers of the closest guys I think might help
Jim is out plowing snow, his wife is chatting with me. She doesn't know the exact location. He will update when he gets in, I am sure.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:19 PM
Banned

Could somebody place a contact phone number on here for the news media relating to this incident?

This phone number is for the news media to call.

It might be helpful if the number is close to the incident.

Again, This is a phone number around Keg River for the news media to contact.

Last edited by greylynx; 10-27-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Jim is out plowing snow, his wife is chatting with me. She doesn't know the exact location. He will update when he gets in, I am sure.
Looks like the main road. Does she know the name? Or neighbor?
Old 10-27-2012, 08:24 PM

hopefully someone comes through.

Last edited by BGSH; 10-27-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:32 PM

I am working on that now. Cannot reach Byron - his number did not register on our caller id........shucks wanted to email him those photos but trying to find someone here who recognizes the house. Will keep you updated.

I have sent the photo that has identifying buildings in it to Keg's daughter. She is gonna see if she knows where it is.

Last edited by Batwoman; 10-27-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:40 PM

Can anyone tell me if this is on the secondary maybe near Bricks or Vos or is it on the back access by the blue bridge near Willy Pawlowich or maybe Paul Peters
Old 10-27-2012, 08:55 PM

shoot the friggen things and end the misery
Old 10-27-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks bulls n boars View Post
shoot the friggen things and end the misery
Ok, not donating, or helping in any way. Gotcha.