Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-03-2008, 09:11 PM

Default Stevens O/U

Anybody have one of these. They show up under the Savage brand on the WSS web page. Kinda looking for something for the field that I can use without freaking out if it gets scratched or otherwise beaten up a bit. I'm a big Ruger fan, but these are a third of the price. Although the last cheap (budget?) shotgun I bought is such a crude & clumsy piece I'm kinda embarassed to use it unless I'm by myself.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:45 AM

I just took a quick look a this shotgun, and here is what I can gather from it.
Fretworked release lever - typical Italian work these days.
Safetly/ barrel selector - exactly the same as my Berreta BL3.
The pistol grip is the spttin' image of a Gamba, I know because my son shoots one.
Mid rib bead, a plus for good shooting.
screw in chokes - this would be the telling feature, but I would not be surprised at all if it took Beretta.Benelli chokes!

From the pics this looks like a very well made OEM shotgun from the brescia factories, and area of the worl dfrom which the finest shotguns have been coming for centuries.
sugeested retail is a bit more than some would want to pay, but it is on a par with many of the Italian entry level guns at the moment, but there are less expensive, well made guns out there as well...
Cat
Old 04-04-2008, 07:19 AM

I've also been interested in this O/U. Looking on the Wholesale website it's the cheapest O/U I can see and I'm hoping the quality that goes into it is good based on knowing that I've heard lots of positive comments about the Model 200 Centrefire they build.

Cat, the retail at Wholesale is around $600, where can you find a O/U for less than that? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
sugeested retail is a bit more than some would want to pay, but it is on a par with many of the Italian entry level guns at the moment, but there are less expensive, well made guns out there as well...
Cat
Old 04-04-2008, 07:25 AM

Why not look at the Mossberg Silver Reserve? They are about 500 bucks and Mossberg tests these gun in the dove field of Argentina. We are talking thousands of rounds through the guns in a matter of a few weeks.

I had a stoeger condor and it was a great gun. Had some weight to it so it could eat some of the recoil for goose loads but still light enough to carry all day. The only reason I got rid of it was to buy a 20 guage.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshunter View Post
I've also been interested in this O/U. Looking on the Wholesale website it's the cheapest O/U I can see and I'm hoping the quality that goes into it is good based on knowing that I've heard lots of positive comments about the Model 200 Centrefire they build.

Cat, the retail at Wholesale is around $600, where can you find a O/U for less than that? Thanks!
The one I was looking at on the website was NOT the same gun apparantly!! It was a higher grade than the one at WSS, but often the only differences are the amount of engraving and wood.
Ryan, I don't know if the Mossberg is as good a quality as the Milano, it's turkish gun, I've shot one, but haven't had the oppurtunity to check out the Stevens yet.

Still waiting for the Rizzinis to get here however, and then we shall see!
They should be here in the next few days...
Cat
Old 04-04-2008, 07:36 AM

Yildiz has a 12 nice gun starts around 550.00 Despite the fact that I am a Savage / Stevens fan of sorts I agree with Ryan Like the 930 semi Mossberg tested the O/U in the Dove fields of Argentina they are good better than the Stevens for sure they had some firing pin issues nad maring issues with the action prior to 07 but that is resolved. The Yildiz is slightly more refined comes with a 2 year warranty and like I said starts around 550.00 the Distributor is out of Drumheller they are a Turkish gun with good reviews I have about 300 rounds down the pipe on my first and love it check them out.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:39 AM

AH HA!!
I was looking at the Milano, you were looking at the 512, two different guns, for sure!
Cat
Old 04-04-2008, 08:01 AM

Donny, Where would one find out more information about Yildiz?? I've only just learned the name since reading some of the other shotgun threads where you guys have been talking about them. Tks.

Cat, do you know anything about the 512?? Tks.
Quote:
AH HA!!
I was looking at the Milano, you were looking at the 512, two different guns, for sure!
Cat
Old 04-04-2008, 08:27 AM

Quote:

Can't telll you any more than what I have read , except that if it is Italian, from Brescia, and from the parts i've seen, it is likely a good gun.
Cat
Old 04-04-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Donny, Where would one find out more information about Yildiz?? I've only just learned the name since reading some of the other shotgun threads where you guys have been talking about them. Tks.

the yildiz website is good.....and shotgunworld.com has a yildiz section. they are what they are...an inexpensive....but well made entrey level O/U. they recieve criticizm for the aluminium reciever......softer than stainless and can scratch at the knuckle. but diligent cleaning and greasing takes care of that. the wood is usually above par to sim. priced guns....but by no means are they an "heirloom" gun....but nice none the less. as ryan said the mossberg is a great choice....or a used redhead if you can find one.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:11 PM

[QUOTE=catnthehat;131927]
Ryan, I don't know if the Mossberg is as good a quality as the Milano, it's turkish gun, I've shot one, but haven't had the oppurtunity to check out the Stevens yet

I never said the Milano was a worse quality gun I simply said to take a look a the mossbergs.

I like The Clash's idea of looking for a nicer used shotgun. I held another CZ Redhead 20 gauge yesterday and almost took it home. If only it had 26" Barrels instead of 28"
Old 04-04-2008, 01:12 PM

Took a look at the Yildiz catalog, pretty nice looking. Who sells them? And does anyone know ballpark what at 20ga O/U costs?

thanks
Old 04-04-2008, 01:20 PM

GooGle Wide North Optics. They are in Drumheller I believe. Depending on the model, amount of scrolling, Ejectors or Extracors but a base unit should run you 500-600 dollars.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:41 PM

those redheads are nice.....but i am still a yildiz fan....i will let you know how mine does when it gets here in a few weeks.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:00 PM

Shoot, I just came home from Drumheller, could've had a look while there. Not familiar with the name. (Yldiz?) Where are they made?
Old 04-04-2008, 04:30 PM

[QUOTE=RyanGSP;132034]
Quote:
Ryan, I don't know if the Mossberg is as good a quality as the Milano, it's turkish gun, I've shot one, but haven't had the oppurtunity to check out the Stevens yet

I never said the Milano was a worse quality gun I simply said to take a look a the mossbergs.

I like The Clash's idea of looking for a nicer used shotgun. I held another CZ Redhead 20 gauge yesterday and almost took it home. If only it had 26" Barrels instead of 28"
Did it handle that much differently with 28's, Ryan?
Cat
Old 04-04-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .30cal View Post
Shoot, I just came home from Drumheller, could've had a look while there. Not familiar with the name. (Yldiz?) Where are they made?
turkey
Old 04-04-2008, 06:21 PM

clash....wow the "SPZ ME SPECIAL L" is a real nice gun. how much do you think it costs?
Old 04-04-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanGSP View Post
Why not look at the Mossberg Silver Reserve? They are about 500 bucks
There are a few varieties of the Silver Reserve O/U at Milarm -- price ranges from $500 to just under $800 depending on options. I recommend doing some research directly with people that have used this gun.

Last weekend Milarm had Silver Reserve in 20 through 12, Remington Upland in 28 through 12 and Yildiz in 20 & 12 in ME --- the 12 ga ME Special left the store

Quote:
Took a look at the Yildiz catalog, pretty nice looking. Who sells them? And does anyone know ballpark what at 20ga O/U costs?
thanks
Another real good spot to check is the Sportsman Den in Red Deer. Last Saturday they had a variety of Brownings, Beretta, Winchester and Yildiz that you could lay side by side and shoulder. Give me a real good idea on what came up the best. It was just to bad they did not have a ME Special in 12 ga.

Ball park on a Yildiz 20 would be around $600 with price varying on grade and dealer.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:

thanks
Yes The Sportsmans Den Sells them in Red Deer also thhis link is for the Drumheller Distributor http://www.widenorth.com/ I Paid 675.00 fo the 20 ga with 28 inch BBLs the 26 is available but at 5.9 lbs this thing swings like a dream.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennedy View Post
clash....wow the "SPZ ME SPECIAL L" is a real nice gun. how much do you think it costs?
not too sure how much it would be up here......but over 800 for sure..ok well not for sure but i would imagine it would be over 8 bills if not more. it is a beautiful gun though.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:31 PM

[QUOTE=catnthehat;132092]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanGSP View Post

Did it handle that much differently with 28's, Ryan?
Cat
I havent been able to put in enough time with 26" barrel to be able to make an accurate judgment but 26" barrels will swing faster and weight less then a gun with 28" barrels.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:18 AM
Banned

THANKS GUYS!!
Now you all are talking about my Favorite gun. (YILDEZ)
Now I want to go play with it this weekend...
BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Jamie has to much stuff to get done.

I have the Yildez SPZ ME Special.
It is a very nice gun. I have had it for 2 summers now. Lots down the tube, probably more than most will ever shoot it in the field and it still runs like a dream.
I almost made the mistake of selling that gun.
Some days last sumer I missed it so much I would take it out to the club rather than my Trap gun.
I will post up some pics when I get the chance. You guys will love it.

Jamie
Old 04-05-2008, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
THANKS GUYS!!
BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

It is a very nice gun. I have had it for 2 summers now. Lots down the tube, probably more than most will ever shoot it in the field and it still runs like a dream.
Some days last sumer I missed it so much I would take it out to the club rather than my Trap gun.

Jamie
With the exception of one person this is all I keep hearing. I am very happy with the twenty at this time it is still early at 300 rounds but I am impressed I bought it for my son but see another in the future. My 101 is at risk of some R&R I also love the Yildiz SXS but me thinks the eyes don't focus on the litl rear V for good line of sight on the bead the eyes are not so young as they once were.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:07 AM

Lot's of good info guys! So do I gather that if you wanted to take a look at a Yildez you'd have to go to either Drumheller, Red Deer or Edmonton?

Tks
Old 04-05-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Lot's of good info guys! So do I gather that if you wanted to take a look at a Yildez you'd have to go to either Drumheller, Red Deer or Edmonton?

Tks
I think Bismuth reloading products may have one or two left, but he may have sold them all and replaxced that line with Fair/Rizzinis - Will is in Dewinton
(403)938 6066
Cat
Old 04-05-2008, 08:50 AM

Default ? on Yildiz Stock Oiling

Donny / Jaime with the oiled stock have you tried a re-oil program on the stock with UV tung oil? I just picked up an ME Special and it is on the 3rd oiling coat -- major difference in wood grain. Very pretty before and now the colors and grain are getting better after each coat.

Jaime did you put a limbsaver on your Yildiz 12 or did you stick with the factory pad?
Old 04-05-2008, 10:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post
Donny / Jaime with the oiled stock have you tried a re-oil program on the stock with UV tung oil? I just picked up an ME Special and it is on the 3rd oiling coat -- major difference in wood grain. Very pretty before and now the colors and grain are getting better after each coat.

Jaime did you put a limbsaver on your Yildiz 12 or did you stick with the factory pad?
2 Tollers. I have a slip on Limb saver from when I was shooting competion Trap with it, but now that it is mostly a hunting gun, I dont use it.
I also have heard about the trick with the tung oil. Perhpas this summer I might play with it a bit. Right now I have it packaged up in the original packaging. By my best guess I dont think any shotguns will see the light of day till June or so. Life is just to busy right now. To bad, I love shooting clays, but with work, Kids, Baseball and this Brown bear hunt I am to busy right now.

Do you have any before and after pics?

Thanks
Jamie
Old 04-05-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
THANKS GUYS!!
BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Jamie
this is what i have being shipped to me a long with an elegant A5E sxs for my dad....can't wait.