Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-10-2024, 11:59 AM

Default Trolling setup for big Dipsey Divers - Cold lake

Howdy fellas, I know there's some expert knowledge and experience here regarding trolling rod setups so I want to pick your combined brains.

The kid and I are getting ready for some week long trips to Cold lake with the new boat and we'd like a nice setup for running dipsey's. We've been using a gigantic Penn combo that we got on a big discount last year at the fishing hole but there's no line counter and it's ridiculously large, the drag doesn't adjust very nicely, etc.

I don't think I'm going to mess with downriggers quite yet but I'd assume a reel for dipsey's would also be ideal for downriggers (just a rod change perhaps).

For reels I've been looking at Okuma Coldwaters and Daiwa Lexa's (a little expensive but if they're worth it I'll bite). I'm hesitant on the Coldwaters as I've seen some comments that Dipsey's are hard on them.
Am I in the right neighborhood with these? Is there a sweet spot for size? I've been looking at the 300 series' but I found a great deal on a 400 Lexa.

I'm not quite sure where to start on rods but I've heard the Shimano Talora mentioned with some good comments. Open to any other suggestions.

Also, is the Lund track strong enough to mount my rod holder on for trolling with the big Dipsy Divers? We definitely couldn't use the rod holders on the old inflatable and kid had to use his leg to brace the rod when holding it...lol.

As always many thanks for helping with my novice questions!
Greg
Old 05-10-2024, 04:18 PM

Sorry I can not help you with dipsey divers , I always wondered about them if you can set to the the dept you really want them at . And how would you now as they would be so far behind the boat your sonar would not pick them up .
I guess a line counter would be needed to do the same thing, every time you reset . They must have a chart how deep it goes when you have so much line out at a given speed .
Old 05-10-2024, 07:00 PM

I'm sure your dipsy diving experiments and research are great fun and what not...just curious what your adversity to down riggers is? They are fairly cheap for a manual scotty, have counters built in so you can use pretty much any rod with them, simple to use and pretty fool proof. Just get fish on your sonar, or observe the thermocline, drop down to that depth, reel in the slack line, troll, pull in laker, rince and repeat! It's "Almost" to easy...lol...plus you can mount 1 on each side of the boat and turn on a dime without getting tangled because the lines are directly beneath you and just 10-15 feet behind the boat.
Old 05-10-2024, 08:35 PM

For dipsey divers we always used a 3' for strip for 2' of depth for the big DD's... to 60' it worked for us...idk about going deeper but I would try a 4' strip for 2' of depth after that
Old 05-10-2024, 08:49 PM

You came to the right place to ask these questions .....

We have had the best luck running the dipsy 4'-5' ahead of a spoon. Naked. Seems to produce constantly for us. Spoons will vary day to day but some to try are five of diamonds, a Williams wobbler in silver/gold and the good old red devil (in a standard size like No2)

The "chart" will tell you what to let out on your line counter and the big dipsy goes down surprising accurate when compared the the chart (100 out is roughly 40 down).

I run these right off my Lund's standard rod holders which are in the track. No problem there. Yeah it pulls hard but there is no risk of damaging it or anything like that ..... it's fine ..... just gotta grip it hard if you need to pull it out while you are still moving forward and not tripped. My wife has a bit of a struggle with it, but for an average guy, it's no big deal.

I also run the Okuma cold water reels. Absolutely rock solid, great drag, excellent reels. Probably the best bang for your buck at that price point ( I also have Shimanos and ABU's) so it's a fair comparison. Love them, bought 2 more Cold Waters last year.

Here's the Okuma cold water in action, on the Lund track with a standard rod holder at Cold Lake (so we hit all your questions !!!!) .... The below picture is on the downrigger here, but you get the idea ..... it works, no problem. I like to have the rod loaded and do prefer downriggers, but sometimes to test an area for the bite (or where the depth goes up fast and drops) it's quick/easy to pull in or deploy more line with a dipsy (especially If I'm on the steering wheel) - so I'm on a dipsy probably 30% of the time.

Last edited by EZM; 05-10-2024 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-10-2024, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Sorry I can not help you with dipsey divers , I always wondered about them if you can set to the the dept you really want them at . And how would you now as they would be so far behind the boat your sonar would not pick them up .
I guess a line counter would be needed to do the same thing, every time you reset . They must have a chart how deep it goes when you have so much line out at a given speed .
Yep, the chart tells you how deep they dive at certain lengths of line out. Thats why I’d like a rock solid line counter.
Old 05-10-2024, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
I'm sure your dipsy diving experiments and research are great fun and what not...just curious what your adversity to down riggers is? They are fairly cheap for a manual scotty, have counters built in so you can use pretty much any rod with them, simple to use and pretty fool proof. Just get fish on your sonar, or observe the thermocline, drop down to that depth, reel in the slack line, troll, pull in laker, rince and repeat! It's "Almost" to easy...lol...plus you can mount 1 on each side of the boat and turn on a dime without getting tangled because the lines are directly beneath you and just 10-15 feet behind the boat.
Good point. I guess we’ve been having good luck with the dipsy’s and the unknown is scary 🫣. Maybe I’ll watch some vids on people using them.
Old 05-10-2024, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
I bought electrics after running manuals for many years - there were literally many many days on cold lake where the lakers where biting so well, I was sweating my butt off winding that manual downrigger !!!!! like a circus some days ..... but what a blast !!!
Old 05-10-2024, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
You came to the right place to ask these questions .....

We have had the best luck running the dipsy 4'-5' ahead of a spoon. Naked. Seems to produce constantly for us. Spoons will vary day to day but some to try are five of diamonds, a Williams wobbler in silver/gold and the good old red devil (in a standard size like No2)

The "chart" will tell you what to let out on your line counter and the big dipsy goes down surprising accurate when compared the the chart (100 out is roughly 40 down).

I run these right off my Lund's standard rod holders which are in the track. No problem there. Yeah it pulls hard but there is no risk of damaging it or anything like that ..... it's fine ..... just gotta grip it hard if you need to pull it out while you are still moving forward and not tripped. My wife has a bit of a struggle with it, but for an average guy, it's no big deal.

I also run the Okuma cold water reels. Absolutely rock solid, great drag, excellent reels. Probably the best bang for your buck at that price point ( I also have Shimanos and ABU's) so it's a fair comparison. Love them, bought 2 more Cold Waters last year.

Here's the Okuma cold water in action, on the Lund track with a standard rod holder at Cold Lake (so we hit all your questions !!!!) .... The below picture is on the downrigger here, but you get the idea ..... it works, no problem. I like to have the rod loaded and do prefer downriggers, but sometimes to test an area for the bite (or where the depth goes up fast and drops) it's quick/easy to pull in or deploy more line with a dipsy (especially If I'm on the steering wheel) - so I'm on a dipsy probably 30% of the time.

Thanks, very helpful as always! We run the divers roughly the same but usually use those Apex trolling lures that open up and let you stuff a minnow in there.
Do you prefer the downrigger?
Old 05-11-2024, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koleswrath View Post
Thanks, very helpful as always! We run the divers roughly the same but usually use those Apex trolling lures that open up and let you stuff a minnow in there.
Do you prefer the downrigger?
I have heard of cut plugs that you open up and you place a bait inside .
When did Apex come out with one ? Where did you find them ?
Old 05-11-2024, 09:41 AM

Quote:
I have heard of cut plugs that you open up and you place a bait inside .
When did Apex come out with one ? Where did you find them ?
Sorry, not Apex….Brad’s. The only place I’ve ever seen them is the tackle shop out at Evergreen campground and lodge. He bought everything he could find after he heard they weren’t making them anymore.
Old 05-12-2024, 08:07 AM

2 times on electric down riggers . I also started on the manuals down riggers . When you get a fish on ,your partner normally cranks up the down rigger when you real in the fish . Its a lot of work when they start hitting every 15 mins . Electric was a game changer as they have the auto stop when they come up .
We went from 20 a day to 50 fish a day when we went to electric . Some good deals now on used units as well .
Old 05-12-2024, 09:08 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I constantly now run the deep six #2.
Attached directly to that is a lucky strike gang troll and off of that 3-4 feet behind a apex trolling lure in a few colours such as brown trout, rainbow trout, and my favourite water Mellon.
Generally in the 4 inch size and keeping my speed at about 2mph mark.
This will get you down to about 80 fow deep depending on amount of line out.
Rod/reel combo is 7 foot ugly stick medium action spooled with 20lbs braid.
Real easy outfit to use and get on lakers all day long.

The watermelon color gets chewed up real quick!
If the situation is good to drop down and jig then be prepared to get sore arms too!
Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-12-2024, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I constantly now run the deep six #2.
Attached directly to that is a lucky strike gang troll and off of that 3-4 feet behind a apex trolling lure in a few colours such as brown trout, rainbow trout, and my favourite water Mellon.
Generally in the 4 inch size and keeping my speed at about 2mph mark.
This will get you down to about 80 fow deep depending on amount of line out.
Rod/reel combo is 7 foot ugly stick medium action spooled with 20lbs braid.
Real easy outfit to use and get on lakers all day long.

The watermelon color gets chewed up real quick!
If the situation is good to drop down and jig then be prepared to get sore arms too!
Good luck.

Awesome to see, how do you count the line out?
Old 05-12-2024, 04:34 PM

Quote:
2 times on electric down riggers . I also started on the manuals down riggers . When you get a fish on ,your partner normally cranks up the down rigger when you real in the fish . Its a lot of work when they start hitting every 15 mins . Electric was a game changer as they have the auto stop when they come up .
We went from 20 a day to 50 fish a day when we went to electric . Some good deals now on used units as well .
Yep me too all day long! Played with manuels for a few years as well...now all power. Speaking if with, I have 2 scotty manuel depth masters I have to get rid of....any takers?? Lol....
Old 05-12-2024, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koleswrath View Post
Awesome to see, how do you count the line out?

So what I did to get a ball park feel was watch the spool for amount
Of line out until I would touch bottom coming in from 100 fow to 50 fow and when I started to touch bottom. Adjust from there.
So many times later in the season I troll in deeper water and catch suspended fish or ones that would zip up to the spinning blades thinking they were bait fish and pick off the apex trolling lure not far behind.

It’s simple but very productive.

Old 05-12-2024, 05:10 PM

Line counters are a must. Lexas and Tekotas are ideal. No guessing can repeat results.
Old 05-12-2024, 09:04 PM

Thanks all, appreciate the info! Lots to consider.
Old 05-13-2024, 09:42 AM

If you already have some nice baitcaster reels you can look at getting some metered braid as well instead of getting new reels. I really like daiwa J braid x8 in 30lb or you could get some power pro depth hunter. Daiwa changes color every 10 meters and the power pro changes color every 25 feet. Count the colors until you're at the desired depth based on your dipsy chart and away you go.

I pretty much run metered on all my reels now, works for bottom bouncing eyes, trolling cranks, vertical jigging etc
Old 05-13-2024, 10:46 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by honker_clonker View Post
If you already have some nice baitcaster reels you can look at getting some metered braid as well instead of getting new reels. I really like daiwa J braid x8 in 30lb or you could get some power pro depth hunter. Daiwa changes color every 10 meters and the power pro changes color every 25 feet. Count the colors until you're at the desired depth based on your dipsy chart and away you go.

I pretty much run metered on all my reels now, works for bottom bouncing eyes, trolling cranks, vertical jigging etc
Been looking at spooling up next time with indicator tuf line from mustad.
Changes color every 10 feet.

https://mustad-fishing.com/ca/produc...0yd+%7C+274.3m