Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-21-2018, 09:14 AM

Default Fish and wildlife

So I was talking fishing with my buddy at work last week and we got on the subject of Fish and Wildlife encounters. I was telling him that in the 12 years that I've lived in Alberta, fishing everywhere from Edmonton down to southern Alberta, I've never once ran into a Fish and wildlife officer.

On Saturday the girlfriend and I hit up a few of the reservoirs, our last stop was McGregor. As we grabbed our gear from the car and started walking down the rocks to the water we hear a pickup aggressively pull into the parking lot, the driver quickly getting out of the vehicle. We look up to see who it was and sure enough it was a F&W officer. He asked to see our licences, we chatted for a bit and he went on his way.

On Sunday we were fishing the Bow across the street from my house near Fish Creek, and who comes ripping up the river in their boat? F&W again! They pulled their boat right up to the rocks where we were and we got checked for our licence again!

So nothing for 12 years , then twice in less than 24 hours haha! I thought this was pretty funny that this actually happenned to us this weekend . Nice to see them out and about making sure everyone is legit. Both officers were super nice and were all for chatting about fishing!
Old 05-21-2018, 11:21 AM

Good to hear that they are out and about or aboat.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:52 AM

Depends where you fish. They were at lac ste anne this weekend. Most likely wabamun too.

If you fish the more popular lakes more likely to see them.

Ive been getting checked more and more which i think is a good thing. Ive said it once and ill say it again; they have gotten way better when dealing with people and i have found them to be a good chat once we do run into them. Doing a nice job for sure!
Old 05-22-2018, 10:05 AM

I was coming back into town last night about 7:00 PM (Hwy 2 North just past Aldersyde) and a F&W truck and a Sheriff pull out of a side road lights flashing and pull me over on the side of the highway with long weekend traffic screaming past.

They wanted to check that my plug was out (which it was) and my live well we empty (again it was).

I support the program to limit/stop mussel introduction into Alberta, but couldn't this have been done somewhere else?
Old 05-22-2018, 08:22 PM

Been checked once ever in years. Was up at pinhurst and a buddy was cleaning a fish when they drove by. Asked if everyone in are party was fishing and wanted to see licenses. Very friendly and no hassle.

I wouldn't mind seeing more of them
Old 05-22-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmo View Post
I was coming back into town last night about 7:00 PM (Hwy 2 North just past Aldersyde) and a F&W truck and a Sheriff pull out of a side road lights flashing and pull me over on the side of the highway with long weekend traffic screaming past.

They wanted to check that my plug was out (which it was) and my live well we empty (again it was).

I support the program to limit/stop mussel introduction into Alberta, but couldn't this have been done somewhere else?
That's insane....I am in favor of the boat inspections stations but if F&W and a sheriff have to stop you, that is ridicoulous and almost constitutes an illegal stop and search on your behalf.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:47 PM

Yes be in your toes. We are on Facebook and will be branching out here shortly as well.
Sgt. Moose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2018, 09:59 PM
Banned

I really like and respect the new CO's hired in my hood the last couple years, i always talk their ears off until i tell them to get back to work!, i like to give them some of my home tied flies that are working at the time so that they can come back after work or on their weekends and have some fun!

They are welcome to fish with me anytime.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:14 PM

I too have had a few positive encounters with them so far. I haven’t been fishing for long, but in both bc and Alberta my encounters have been pleasant. Pulled in to Devon right after he finished up a ticket for no licence to someone. All he did was check my licence and chat for a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2018, 06:30 AM

Was amazed not to see any at Pigeon. We were gone by noon usually, still surprised, especially given the traffic out there.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:29 AM

I've had a couple of encounters with CO's in AB and Guardians in BC, all very positive and pleasant. Nice chat with all after the formalities were out of the way.

I've also flagged a couple CO's down on occasion to ask for advise on the waters I was planning to fish, on both occasions they were very willing to divulge their knowledge and secrets.

Great people!

Only complaint I may have, is how on one occasion, a guardian in BC came up behind me while I was in the water working a section of the river and absolutely scared the crap out of me when he said "Good morning"!! After we both stopped laughing, I stepped out and had a great chat and more chuckles as to how high I jumped when he startled me.

All good people, doing a necessary job, we need more.