Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-27-2020, 01:28 PM

Default I agree with this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
The Tikka stock is just fine. I'd keep it.
If the following upgrades have not been made to your T3, I'd do them.
1 Metal bolt shroud
2 Limbsaver recoil pad
3 Stainless steel recoil lug.
The above were changes that were made when Tikka introduced the T3X. They are not that expensive to do.

And now for that advice that you weren't asking for.

Hold off on the reloading. It's expensive to get into. If shooting becomes a hobby, you will probably want to get started with reloading. You can create ammo tailored to your firearm that is better than factory ammo. If you shoot a large volume of ammo, it can also be economical.

When shooting factory ammo, save your brass. Try to use just one brand of ammo. If you eventually decide to start reloading, you'll have a good amount of brass saved up. With brass running about a buck each, it is a fairly major expense when starting up. IMO, shooting factory ammo is not that expensive IF you are going to use the brass later for reloading purposes.

To become a good shot it is important to shoot. (duh!!) The more you can shoot, the better you will become. IMO, the best way to become a good shot is to get a rimfire. When you head out to practise with your 7mag, take a 22 along with you. Fire a box of 7mag and a couple boxes of 22. Shoot prone, offhand, kneeling, off of sticks, off your backpack, etc.

A better stock may improve the accuracy of your rifle, but I highly doubt that your Tikka stock will be inadequate for hunting. I'd wait before replacing the stock.
The improvement in your shooting that will happen from shooting that rimfire thousands of times will be much greater.

A rimfire is where I'd be putting any extra money that is burning a hole in my pocket.
This is good advice.
Hoopi