Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-06-2019, 12:36 PM
fishinhogdaddy fishinhogdaddy is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 100
Default Mustad hooks

Old school guys like me learned to tie on Mustad hooks.
My last purchase turned out with the majority of the hooks ďdaisy chainedĒ to
together hooked through the eyes by the next ones barb. Iíve had this before but only on a couple. In the same pack two were inseparable as they were interestingly configured around each other.
Now, the shake test is the only way to really see the hooks. Iíve found if you donít have three or four visible after shaking, likely their joined.
Since they arenít made by the ďold schoolĒ manufacture anymore the cost has certainly gone up for alternates such as Daichi, etc. Sign of the times I guess.
Sure makes it bit more of a challenge searching the shelves for a particular type of hook. I, like others like to see and feel the materials before deciding on what to buy. Never have bought online hooks. Probably wouldnít ever.
But, Iím always learning and challenging myself to get better at my hobby.
Realism is satisfaction, for me.
FHD
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-06-2019, 06:28 PM
FlyTheory's Avatar
FlyTheory FlyTheory is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,167
Default

From my experience mustadís suck. Out with the old, in with the new. Companies now are at an arms race to provide the highest quality hook. For all Iím concerned, mustad fly hooks are poor quality compared to Daiichi, Gama, and even newer brands like Kona and Ahrex. Way she goes. Side note, OPST hooks are amazing too.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-06-2019, 09:22 PM
flyrodfisher flyrodfisher is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
From my experience mustadís suck. Out with the old, in with the new. Companies now are at an arms race to provide the highest quality hook. For all Iím concerned, mustad fly hooks are poor quality compared to Daiichi, Gama, and even newer brands like Kona and Ahrex. Way she goes. Side note, OPST hooks are amazing too.

It is probably more accurate to say that companies are at an arms race to provide the highest profits to their shareholders.
To do so, many have relocated production to Asian facilities....often sacrificing quality.
Mustad has done the same.
That said, if you can find new old stock of NORWAY made mustad hooks....BUY them immediately, you will not find better quality.


I will not buy China made Mustads...nor will I buy any House of Hardy products that are not made in Alnwick England.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-06-2019, 09:46 PM
tallieho tallieho is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: calgary
Posts: 692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinhogdaddy View Post
Old school guys like me learned to tie on Mustad hooks.
My last purchase turned out with the majority of the hooks ďdaisy chainedĒ to
together hooked through the eyes by the next ones barb. Iíve had this before but only on a couple. In the same pack two were inseparable as they were interestingly configured around each other.
Now, the shake test is the only way to really see the hooks. Iíve found if you donít have three or four visible after shaking, likely their joined.
Since they arenít made by the ďold schoolĒ manufacture anymore the cost has certainly gone up for alternates such as Daichi, etc. Sign of the times I guess.
Sure makes it bit more of a challenge searching the shelves for a particular type of hook. I, like others like to see and feel the materials before deciding on what to buy. Never have bought online hooks. Probably wouldnít ever.
But, Iím always learning and challenging myself to get better at my hobby.
Realism is satisfaction, for me.
FHD
What hook are you looking for.If i have it .It's yours They are old ...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-06-2019, 10:04 PM
Jason.seaward Jason.seaward is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 240
Default Mustad hooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
What hook are you looking for.If i have it .It's yours They are old ...


Likewise. I have a bunch of older hooks that I am not a big fan of. I now have a preference for some of the more modern hooks, like Hanaks. I like some of the hook shapes, gap sizes. I find they are great quality. Not all modern hooks are poorly made. They might be more expensive, but I donít mind paying more for quality.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Jason.seaward; 09-06-2019 at 10:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-07-2019, 05:30 AM
ShortsideK ShortsideK is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason.seaward View Post
Likewise. I have a bunch of older hooks that I am not a big fan of. I now have a preference for some of the more modern hooks, like Hanaks. I like some of the hook shapes, gap sizes. I find they are great quality. Not all modern hooks are poorly made. They might be more expensive, but I donít mind paying more for quality.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I absolutely agree with you. They are the best hooks that I have ever used.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-07-2019, 10:14 AM
goggin goggin is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 87
Default

Badly made Chinese crap again, brought two hardy rods to Canada with me, shut my truck door on the two of them, I refused to buy hardy again as they are now made in China, itís hard to get away from Chinese crap, seems a lot of companies are sacrificing quality for Chinese crap, did I mention I hate Chinese crap
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-07-2019, 10:28 AM
FlyTheory's Avatar
FlyTheory FlyTheory is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,167
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goggin View Post
Badly made Chinese crap again, brought two hardy rods to Canada with me, shut my truck door on the two of them, I refused to buy hardy again as they are now made in China, itís hard to get away from Chinese crap, seems a lot of companies are sacrificing quality for Chinese crap, did I mention I hate Chinese crap
Hahaha I donít think any rod is strong enough to put up with a door being shut on it,I donít care who makes it ;p
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-07-2019, 10:32 AM
FlyTheory's Avatar
FlyTheory FlyTheory is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,167
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrodfisher View Post
It is probably more accurate to say that companies are at an arms race to provide the highest profits to their shareholders.
To do so, many have relocated production to Asian facilities....often sacrificing quality.
Mustad has done the same.
That said, if you can find new old stock of NORWAY made mustad hooks....BUY them immediately, you will not find better quality.


I will not buy China made Mustads...nor will I buy any House of Hardy products that are not made in Alnwick England.
I donít really care where my hooks are made, to be honest if theyíre good quality, Iíll use them. Thereís no point looking at where the origin of manufacturing is from when itís good quality and stands the test of time... thatís why I drive a Tacoma with parts from Canada, Japan, China, USA and more.
Btw daiichi and gamakatsu are Japanese companies, and japan Is super OCD with quality. So thatís why I like them. Sweden is the same for the most part haha
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-08-2019, 09:50 AM
Mr Flyguy Mr Flyguy is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 765
Default

I'm still working through my inventory of Mustad 9672 and 9671 hooks made in Norway, the're as good as anything else on the market today. However, I will never buy Mustad chironomid or jig hooks (for balanced leeches) again.
__________________
I fish, therefore I am.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-09-2019, 08:28 AM
fishinhogdaddy fishinhogdaddy is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 100
Default

First, thanks for the offer of the older Mustads from a couple of you. That wasn't my intention to ask anyone to donate. But, I appreciate your offers!

Some great info on the new suppliers of hooks that are out there now. I'll have to look them up and educated myself on them.
Appreciate the feedback guys!
FHD
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-10-2019, 05:29 PM
Don Andersen Don Andersen is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Central Alberta
Posts: 1,348
Default

Hate to be a heretic but I use Mustad R50ís for dries. Last Saturday I landed 5 rainbows over 22Ē in weedy waters where ****ing around would have resulted in lost fish.
And my go to chironomid hook is a Mustad C068. Best fish landed was in excess of 7 lbs.
I agree that some hook manufactures produce poor products however iíve tied perhaps 10,000 flies and Mustad have not let me down
TMC 100ís are crap, as are 2487, 2457 works.
Once caught a 7+ lb. rainbow on a #20 Mustad C49.

Don
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-11-2019, 07:09 AM
Lornce's Avatar
Lornce Lornce is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,214
Default

Tying commercially for quite a number of years I gave up on new Mustads, had a few batches that bend too easily or the opposite broke at the barb when some of my clients requested de-barbing. The older Mustad where great. Lots of better brands in my view better suited for fly tying. Dohiku, Partridge, Hanak and Togen to name a few.
__________________
Often I have been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, cold, briar scarred, sunburned, mosquito bitten,
but never, with a fly rod in my hand have I been in a place that was less than beautiful.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.