Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-20-2019, 03:19 PM

Default ice fishing shack tips?

I am thinking of building a shack for ice fishing this winter and hauling it out to the lake.

I am looking for ideas and tips before I start. How to haul it to the lake. Will it freeze into the ice. Do you lock it. What's the best size. How much ice do I need. Will a quad pull it into position? Do you ever move it during the winter?

Any other/all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
Old 10-20-2019, 06:17 PM

I designed mine to fit in the back of a pickup truck. I set it on a couple pieces of 4x4 so it doesn't freeze into the ice. It's locked to keep the honest people out, not much in it to steal but I really don't want someone using it as an outhouse when I'm not there. Best size? How many people will be fishing in it? Do you want to overnight in it? We camp all weekend in ours - it's got a wood stove, a fold down kitchen table and a fold down double bed. Ice thickness? Depends on your tow vehicle. we don't haul it out until there's enough for a truck to drive on. We don't move it once it's on the lake but use it as a base camp and sometimes fish in other spots with our pop up tent.

I sell detailed construction plans/material cut list for this style shack. You can search for ice shack plans on ebay for more info or to buy some.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg iceshanty3.jpg (55.0 KB, 319 views)
File Type: jpg table down.jpg (27.8 KB, 319 views)
Old 10-20-2019, 06:24 PM

Really nice. Can you post a pic of the fold down beds?
Old 10-20-2019, 07:06 PM

Use a heater that vents outside, ideally.
At least the buddy heaters have a low o2 sensor, so you have a better idea if you dont have enough fresh air for it.
Those propane tank top sunflower heaters throw a lot of heat but also a lot of things you shouldn't breathe in a confined space.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:14 AM

Default ice fishing shack tips?

Ill try and answer your questions. I bought myself a trailer for this upcoming season which should make loading and unloading a breeze.
Two years ago, I moved the shack once and after that I was snowed in until seasons end. Which, I then had to bring out my snowblower and was on the verge of using my rototiller to bust up the drifts to help out it was that tough going.
I use a 20’000 btu vented propane heater. It’s dependable, a 30 lb bottle lasts me about 4 days and it uses no electricity if the generator happens to fail.
It weighs 4000 lbs so no I doubt a quad would pull it easily.
I built it 8x14 and I wish I had went 2 feet wider. As with all toys, it’s never big enough, so overbuild it right from the first step.
Yes I lock mine. It’s windows are bolted up with thick plate when I’m gone and the lock for the door is severely fortified without going into to much detail. Then there’s other measures that I have which keeps me “in touch” with it even when I’m not there. Also my home owners insurance covers it for up to 10% of the value of the house if something goes sideways. This is at no additional charge because it’s my “shed”.
When I leave, I use a jack-all to lift it up 4” or so onto some trim blocks. If someone drills close to you the flood water will cover the skids otherwise. Which also brings me to the purpose of using pipe for skids, so that a tiger torch or possibly even trucks exhaust can melt me enough away from the ice if it did flood. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Really nice. Can you post a pic of the fold down beds?
Here are a couple more pics. The bed was made with 3/4" plywood and has a removable support underneath

I should add that this shack was designed to use the least amount of plywood and lumber possible in order to keep the weight down. It's probably around 500 pounds without the stove or battery. Easy to slide around on the ice or pull with a quad. The floor is 5/8" treated plywood. Walls, roof and seats are 3/8" plywood with 2x2 structure. Ridge beam is a 2x4, skids are 4x4 treated.

With 1.5" of rigid insulation it stays nice and warm even down to -25. I burn Canawick pressed wood logs in it that last about 8 hours and allow us to sleep all night without getting up to fill the stove.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bed and table up.jpg (26.5 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg ice shack - bed down.jpg (23.9 KB, 181 views)
Old 10-23-2019, 04:57 PM

good stuff. Thank you for your suggestions.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:06 PM

I've built a few of them I always like to put my windows Low so I can see my tip ups from where I'm sitting in the shack.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2019, 06:58 PM

A friend of mine built one for use on White Swan North of PA. He was able to get a bunch of sandwich panels cheap. Way lighter than wood framing. Good stuff if you can find them cheap.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:59 PM

Tips: make sure your runners extend a foot or so past shack front and back (way easier to load/unload shack off a trailer)
counter sink and glue puckboard onto base of runners for easier sliding if using wood
I like runners to be at least 6 inch high
For ventalation I bought two 4inch toilet floor flanges drilled 4 inch hole in wall each end shack and screwed and caulked flanges into wall. Then bought two 4 inch cleanouts with screwed lid end and glued in the flanges. You want fresh air unscrew the clean out lids and you get flow through, when you leave screw back on.
I use a third flange/clean out mid shack that I slide my underwater camera through and drill a hole outside to drop camera down. That way I dont tie up an inside fishing hole with camera/cord.Rotational control works right thru wall
I lift shack up with jack all and slide piece of 4x6 under each corner. I start year with 4 inch side and if flood water rises easy to jack up and turn to 6 inch sides for extra clearance
I screw strips of 3/8ths inch plywood skirting along bottom to stop drifting snow and drafts from blasting in under shack, just need a couple screws a side to hold , its just a temporary wind/snow block.
I'm old so cant be horsing or chizeling a heavy stuck shack out of ice or deep snow so I build light. 3/8 plywood walls on 2x3 1/2 inch roof with tin covering and 5/8 floor. shack is 8x6 ft, 2 fishing holes and 5 ft bench. Heated with big buddy propane and I have no problem getting it to 22C even in coldest days. I fish alot outside around it and use it as much for the warm up shelter as fishing inside.
I also attached on hinges and clips a 14x 18 piece of plywood on wall outside that you can fold out and clip in place for use as a small table. Its about 42 inch off ice so great for holding a coleman stove or tackle box outside ( I mentioned Im old I dont like bending over
Old 10-27-2019, 01:14 PM

what are sandwich panels please?
Old 10-27-2019, 01:20 PM

Default ice shack

in the process of building mine now. It will also serve as a Bunkie at the lake for visitors in the summer.
I am using a garage door for the floor on a 2x4 frame with 4x6 skids and puck board under skids. 7x12 shed roof with tin. stained PT plywood walls.
It will have 3 holes, a fold up double bed and a wall tent wood stove to take the chill off.
BTW I have 4 pieces of puck board I just listed on buy and sell
Old 10-27-2019, 01:41 PM

I assume sandwich panels are those foam panels? Foam sandwiched between two peices of tin?
That's what my ice fishing shack is made of, and it's fantastic. Light weight and warm.
The guy I got it from used to build oilfield buildings out of those foam panels. He would build the shack out on the ice, and then take it apart again at the end of the season.
I got it at the end of the season, where it stood out on the ice. Brought it home and put skids under it. The floor is also made out of panels, so you have to lay something on top of it to stop slipping.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I assume sandwich panels are those foam panels? Foam sandwiched between two peices of tin?
That's what my ice fishing shack is made of, and it's fantastic. Light weight and warm.
The guy I got it from used to build oilfield buildings out of those foam panels. He would build the shack out on the ice, and then take it apart again at the end of the season.
I got it at the end of the season, where it stood out on the ice. Brought it home and put skids under it. The floor is also made out of panels, so you have to lay something on top of it to stop slipping.
That's right. A lot of utilidors and small buildings are made with them on oil and gas sites. Good stuff.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:08 PM

find a cheap 14 to 16 foot trailer...drill holes...BOOM ice fishing shack...thats what i have....usually a old trailer at this time of year is cheap.....problem is it sit off the ground 12"...but hey...its easy...cheap and cumfy!!!

happy