Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-21-2019, 09:02 AM

Default Stettler Phesant Festival

This year we took 2 groups down which include 3 Labs 1 Golden Retreiver and a Brittany who picked up the nick name Connor McDavid as everyone wanted him on their team.

The birds this year we found to be strong and in good health and flew well. We got enough so everyone was happy but certainly left a few in the fields for the folks that followed.

Lots of walking and got to work close enough to the other group to hear them miss a few hahah

To Stacey and your group thanks again for hosting.

HT.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019 Stettler.jpg (28.5 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg Stettler 2019 (2).jpg (43.7 KB, 181 views)
Old 10-21-2019, 09:10 AM

I was up at Stettler as well. Got there Friday afternoon and registered just in time to clean up and go to the smoker. Nice event that, unfortunately, was as well attended as last year. I hunted Saturday afternoon, a bit South of Big Valley, on one of the nicest hunting spots I have been on. We got 7 of our 8 birds and as always happens, the one we missed was the banded bird. The dinner was excellent and the auctions and draws were well done. All told, very, very well worth the time and effort. Plus I met some really nice people. Well done Darcy, Stacey, Donna and all the others I have not met yet.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:28 AM

While we did have fun, half of our quarter was a gravel pit---lot of climbing, wasn't real keen on that
Old 10-21-2019, 11:38 AM

Great weekend. Getting better organized each year. Raffles on Sat. nite a bit confusing though and could have been better explained. Great food, lots of laughs in the field and bonus sighting of hens in two places so the program is working. Thanks to all organizers, landowners and marshalls. See you next year!
Old 10-21-2019, 05:24 PM

Default Hen Sightings

That's awesome they have been spotted. My son released his 4h pheasants on a ranch south of the town just west of Stettler. Can't remember the name of the town.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:08 PM
Banned

How does anyone call this hunting or sporting!? I’ve seen pheasants all over the road, can’t fly you could smack them with a boat paddle they get released outta a cage and than everyone hunts them, might as well shoot fish in a barrel,
Old 10-21-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter guy View Post
How does anyone call this hunting or sporting!? I’ve seen pheasants all over the road, can’t fly you could smack them with a boat paddle they get released outta a cage and than everyone hunts them, might as well shoot fish in a barrel,
I’ve seen wild pheasants on the road before as well as ruffed grouse , Hund and Sharptails what's Your point?
Cat
Old 10-21-2019, 07:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I’ve seen wild pheasants on the road before as well as ruffed grouse , Hund and Sharptails what's Your point?
Cat
Well I’m sure you’d be all for it, atleast they can fly away and we’re free at once not raised in a little box than kicked out they don’t even know where to go
Old 10-21-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Well I’m sure you’d be all for it, atleast they can fly away and we’re free at once not raised in a little box than kicked out they don’t even know where to go
Although I have never participated in something as large as the Stettler pheasant festival I’ve hunted released birds a few times and they do not typically just hang around doing nothing and just wait to get shot .
Cat
Old 10-21-2019, 07:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Although I have never participated in something as large as the Stettler pheasant festival I’ve hunted released birds a few times and they do not typically just hang around doing nothing and just wait to get shot .
Cat
Obviously you’ve never seen them around here than, I think it’s pathetic, people call it sporting I’d say absolutely not
Old 10-21-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Obviously you’ve never seen them around here than, I think it’s pathetic, people call it sporting I’d say absolutely not
I can’t imagine pheasants in one area acting any different than pheasants from another area if they are all coming from the same place ,
I may be wrong but can someone tell me if these Stettler birds come from the same hatchery as the pheasants that are released in Alberta?
Cat
Old 10-21-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Then don't go?
Old 10-21-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
I have hunted around Stettler just not participated in the Stettler festival .
Cat
Old 10-21-2019, 08:11 PM

Here we go again...hunter against hunter. We’re so easily divided, we’ll be easily conquered some day.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post
Here we go again...hunter against hunter. We’re so easily divided, we’ll be easily conquered some day.
Might just be today...
Old 10-23-2019, 09:30 AM

catnthehat, I talked to Darcy, the festival president, and he told me not only are they the same birds but the ACA helped them with release crates and holding pens. A nice help on ACA's part.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:33 AM

Hunter guy, then quit pheasant hunting but don't **** in our corn flakes. This is a very nice weekend that is trying to establish a wild population. What have you done lately?
Old 10-23-2019, 11:00 AM

Don't feed trolls fellas. Anyone who has hunted pheasants knows released birds can be very, very wily and tough to bag.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
I think its pathetic for someone to be so butt hurt about another form of HUNTING that other people enjoy.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:23 AM

Released birds after first dog sniffed them out and hunter missed get the message fast. Also coyotes stalking them all night they learn fast.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:54 AM

Released birds can be confused and easy to bag right after a release, and they can be tough to bag after being chased around for a day or two. If you don't want to hunt released pheasants, then don't, it's that simple.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:30 AM

Hunter guy; I was down in that area and talked with a few of the parties participating. Universally for those folks the festival is just that; a social thing complete with dogs and hunting.

As I age all of hunting has become a social thing from Landowners who open their land and homes to us to fellow outdoors folks. i believe the sooner Sportsmen get away from; I shot this to i had this good of a time, the hunting community will be better off.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:02 AM

Oilngas you are right on. That is exactly what it is about. We chase wild birds all the way down in Dakotas as well. When I was in Saskatchewan my dad and I would walk for days with the dogs. We put in out time. The Stettler Phesant festival is much more than hunting..

This photo is a pic of my dad last year at the pheasant festival with Rusty his prized possession. This was his last opportunity to hunt as he passed away in the spring. Stettler was special as he hunted with family and grandkids and enjoyed a day out when he struggled to walk. To the Stettler folks who accommodated us and gave us a flatter piece of property so he could walk last year (Stacy) I owe them a debt of gratitude.

This year the 8 went down to honor dad and just walk where he did and watch his dog work without him. Many were first time hunters just coming for the comradery. Our time was special and no comment from anyone will change that.

To the guy that wants to bash the Festival get over yourself you don't have any problems fishing a stocked lake as your profile indicates. You do you buddy and the rest of us will try to enjoy life and the opportunities to hunt and fish that abound.

HT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stan.jpg (28.4 KB, 54 views)
Old 10-24-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
The trout has the ability to bite the hook or swim away, you’re pheasant you pretty much have to kick to get moving,
And the pheasant can simply fly away, or walk off of the site, before the hunters even arrive at the site. I see several roosters run across the road ,off of the release sites every year. I also have seen several roosters, miles from the nearest release site.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:48 PM

Default Announcement

Just so people are aware, as outdoorsmen we should be thankful for all manners of hunting festivals / fishing derbies. They are a chance to share fellowship and friendly competition amongst like-minded individuals, made possible through literally hundreds and hundreds of volunteer hours. Maybe you agree with them or maybe you don't, but it will be a frosty day in Honolulu before anyone is allowed to come on and try and bash the efforts of all involved. Just not gonna happen. This site is to build up the outdoors sports not tear them down. People who do, will likely be on the sidelines for a bit.
Old 10-26-2019, 08:59 AM

Default Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Don't feed trolls fellas. Anyone who has hunted pheasants knows released birds can be very, very wily and tough to bag.
I have participated in this festival now for the past 2 years, and have enjoyed it very much. We have never harvested all of the released birds and the hope is that they may lend to rebuilding population in the wild.
The birds themselves are as SNS stated can be tough to bag.