Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-30-2019, 07:13 AM

Yeah, the cold weather seemed to push them straight south after a short stop. Doesn't help there are so few fields to choose from for feed. Hearing tons in Sask due to all crops off, hope the migration hasn't shifted east. Weather looks better this week, hope farmers are able to get some crops off. Like some said, could be three weeks of insanity coming up or they could eat and run.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:49 AM

Yesterday saw most cranes ever seen in my 70+ years in Alberta. Roughly 15 large flocks with some upto 50 birds. They would climb into the stratusphere and were migrating SE, next stop Montana.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:26 AM

We were between Red Deer and SK all of last week. Specks and snows everywhere and more moved in while we were there. Not much for mallards where we were hunting but we did find some north of the Battle River.

Go get em boys!
Old 10-03-2019, 11:33 AM

Ton of birds have shown up last two days--combines moving--but they seem to be moving steady
Old 10-04-2019, 10:46 AM

After scouting last night and this morning, there are definitely a lot more geese around than last week. Last night I found a field with a few thousand geese, but someone already had permission for the weekend. This morning I found a field with about a thousand geese, and over five hundred ducks, and was able to get permission. I also saw a few other fields with at least two hundred geese, and I was never more than ten miles from home.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
After scouting last night and this morning, there are definitely a lot more geese around than last week. Last night I found a field with a few thousand geese, but someone already had permission for the weekend. This morning I found a field with about a thousand geese, and over five hundred ducks, and was able to get permission. I also saw a few other fields with at least two hundred geese, and I was never more than ten miles from home.
They sure seem to be moving in and out quick--had two great fields lined up on Wednesday---ghost town last two days. Almost no geese around here--some ducks. Been doing 1.5 hours in morning and nights scouting --sure can be frustrating.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
They sure seem to be moving in and out quick--had two great fields lined up on Wednesday---ghost town last two days. Almost no geese around here--some ducks. Been doing 1.5 hours in morning and nights scouting --sure can be frustrating.
I start scouting Thursday evening, for our Saturday morning hunt, for that reason. The field I have planned for Saturday morning held geese last night and this morning, so if they show tonight, we hunt them Saturday.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:27 AM

All my fields are on my way to work, so I check them every day--I like to see how they are moving, where they are roosting in an attempt to more understand their behavior, although think women might be easier to figure out.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
All my fields are on my way to work, so I check them every day--I like to see how they are moving, where they are roosting in an attempt to more understand their behavior, although think women might be easier to figure out.
You are in luck.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:49 AM

This cold weather has really thrown a wrench in things. Doesn't seem to be any birds down our way at all now.

What are you fellas seeing up north?
Old 10-08-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinebeers View Post
This cold weather has really thrown a wrench in things. Doesn't seem to be any birds down our way at all now.

What are you fellas seeing up north?
Well, had a great weekend, three hunts. Yesterday was insane ---sure could tell they knew the temp drop was coming---they were feeding like mad. South of Edmonton. Sure having the feeling that that may be it---almost no birds around this am when I did my loop. Looks chilly north too---unless there are some birds still up there waiting to come down, could be the end for this year. Sure hope not, but has been an incredible season thanks to some great AO members. Hoping to get this weekend out too, but wildly behind on my winter prep—so if not, probably wouldnt hurt either. I do like shooting geese though......
Old 10-08-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Well, had a great weekend, three hunts. Yesterday was insane ---sure could tell they knew the temp drop was coming---they were feeding like mad. South of Edmonton. Sure having the feeling that that may be it---almost no birds around this am when I did my loop. Looks chilly north too---unless there are some birds still up there waiting to come down, could be the end for this year. Sure hope not, but has been an incredible season thanks to some great AO members. Hoping to get this weekend out too, but wildly behind on my winter prep—so if not, probably wouldnt hurt either. I do like shooting geese though......
We've had some good hunts this year my friend!
Old 10-08-2019, 01:10 PM

It seems pretty quiet up here. Couple high profile shoots are spoken for. Groups of big Canada’s scattered around. Going to shoot greenheads tonight. Where are the snow geese?
Old 10-08-2019, 02:05 PM

The Snow geese are flying over Calgary right now.

I've been shovelling and listening to flock after flock for the last two hours.
Can't see them for the snow, but they are up there just a little ways.

Most of these birds won't be stopping anytime soon. Some may rest on Glenmore reservoir. Back in the 70-early 80's there would be thousands of snow geese roosting on the res for a few weeks.... a large reduction in crop fields to the west has ended that.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 10-10-2019, 09:28 PM

Was out for the last 7 days. Had specks all the time til today, they disappeared overnite from the fields we were watching and shooting around Hanna. Lots of snows around, very little for ducks. Birds were switching fields something fierce all week. Last nite we had about 10,000 specks and 20-30,000 snows on a field, no specks in sight this AM, they flat out left. Had a couple of thousand cranes in the area last wk, they left a couple days before the storm came thru. Never seen that many cranes around there before, usually maybe a couple of dozen in a season. Had a few good shoots and a few grinds.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:46 AM

Rolled into Provost yesterday on an invite from a longtime resident .
Shooting has been hot and heavy but Wednesday temps dropped and most of the birds have vacated for unfrozen sloughs!
Seems to be a few good flocks around Killam right now however
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 10-11-2019 at 08:08 AM.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:36 AM

So what are people noticing in the last few days. My dad called me and reported very few birds left east of Edmonton. A lot of sloughs frozen completely over. I can't imaging the larger sloughs are too? Have the birds really moved on before even half way through October?
Old 10-11-2019, 09:59 AM

Been scouting like mad all week. They seem to be moving almost every damn day. All small 20-30 bird pods---which I kinda prefer to be honest---better than trying to pull in a thousand birds. Finally found a good field for tomorrow—imagine this will be our last weekend out. Heading south for next weekend, doubt there will be a hunt on the last weekend in Oct if past years are any indication. Gives me a couple of weeks to keep the wife happy before deer season.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:21 AM

We still have a few big fields of birds , but much of my area had nothing last night or this morning. A lot more geese east of us when I was out for pheasant yesterday.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:25 AM

She’s getting pretty sparse up here. Have a couple good duck shoots for weekend. Not much for big Canada’s. No snows or specks.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:30 AM

yeah guys, birds are all gone near Edmonton. Time to hang up the shotguns for the year.....😉

This is the week I start hunting birds.....lol
Old 10-11-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
yeah guys, birds are all gone near Edmonton. Time to hang up the shotguns for the year.....😉

Hopefully lots more coming.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Hopefully lots more coming.
Doubt it.....😉
Old 10-11-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post

If just getting going, you sure have missed out on 6 weeks of fun!
Old 10-11-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
If just getting going, you sure have missed out on 6 weeks of fun!
I don’t look at that way....I missed 6 weeks of peak competition for fields, mud, very early mornings, brown ducks, pin feathers, mosquitos, roost busters and guides/outfitters.

If you want to see lots of birds right now. Head down the Mirror/Alex area. Lots of birds coming off the west end of Buffalo lake.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:56 AM

Not a ton of Bird action around Athabasca was hoping for a new push of birds for this weekend but sounding pretty bleak.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:57 AM

Been a real good year for my group but not a normal year for migration patterns. Had been warmer in High Level then south and central Alberta almost every day this fall
Old 10-11-2019, 04:20 PM

its always over too soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalan View Post
Last year it was late around me as well. A lot of fields are just now being combined.

Last year had massive flocks on the last few days of the season

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Good feeding when they get here. harvest is way behind.

Grizz
Old 10-11-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astepanuk View Post
Not a ton of Bird action around Athabasca was hoping for a new push of birds for this weekend but sounding pretty bleak.
Not what i want to hear hoping to get one more hunt in on the 19th.