Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-27-2009, 08:30 PM

Question Premier Lake BC

Hello I am planning to go to Premier lake in early August. I have a zodiac inflatable boat and an electric motor. I have never fished here and would like to get some advice on what to do to catch some? No even sure what all lurks within its depths I would like to troll about. What should i use and maybe how to set it up. Any advise would be apreciated. Thanks
Old 06-27-2009, 09:05 PM

We've gone to Premiere in August the last couple years. I have a canoe and electric motor and found the fishing to be challenging due to the depths the trout get to in the heat of the summer. That said, it will be hopper season probably then, and in the evenings you could have some fun with topwater action.

I didn't have any luck trolling full sink line but got a few decent ones on the left (south?) side of the lake just past the white sign indicating where you are allowed to start fishing. I used sink tip and prince nymphs and fished the from shore to 30 yards out. Mind you, these are the smaller (14-16 inch) fish as all the big ones are deep at that time of year.

If you have a truck or suv, I would recommend taking your zodiak to Quartz lake. It's a little more difficult to get to but much less busy and really well suited to your set up. It would take you over an hour to get from one end of Premiere to the other with an electric (I tried and gave up about half way.)

Hope this helps. Best of luck. We'll be there in July.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:25 PM

Default Thanks Spidey

Thanks for the info on Premier Lake. Anyone else have something to add?
Old 06-29-2009, 01:56 AM

Smile

I have fished Premier Lake a number of times at various times of the year. I was at Premier last weekend. I landed 12. I was also there in early May just after the ice came off. Then I landed 16.

I also have an inflateable with an electric. I've fished all over the lake and as Spidey says the fish go deep later in the summer. I fish slow with lots of line out. I have caught fish on either side of the lake.

I have had success though even in the hottest of weather with a full sink and a clear intermediate. Try leech patterns and dragon fly nymph and damsel patterns.

Rob