Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-07-2020, 05:58 PM

One of the biggest I find many people don't understand is that, if you are like many guys who can shoot a sub MOA group at 100 consistently off the bench, that means nothing at 300m, 500m etc... groups open up exponentially the further out you go - Your average 1 MOA gun becomes a 1.5-2 MOA unless you really know what you are doing and aware of, AND considering AND controlling all the variables. And, I'm not even talking about wind ... that a totally different and added issue to deal with.

I'm not embarrassed to say it took me thousands of dollars and many years to begin to understand what was REALLY happening and I'm still not a guy who that would EVER shoot at game beyond 400-500 (and the conditions for those longer shots need to be pristine for me even to consider reaching out that far).

There is soooooo much more to long range shooting than most guys will truly understand - and that includes me ... it's not easy, you can't calculate it, or buy it ...
Old 03-07-2020, 05:59 PM

An average whitetail viewed broadside, has a heart/lung area of around 11" in diameter. Translated into MOA @ 800yds this would be 1.25MOA.
So a GUN with 1.2MOA accuracy is theoretically able to take a WT at 800yds.
A SHOOTER + GUN + WEATHER system is a totally different equation.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
It’s actually child’s play, but I digress. There are adult man feelings at stake here.

I pretty sure duceman has a few spots left in his shoot, chuck, so why don’t you pony up a few dollars and come show us “adults” how it’s done.
I’m sure Lee still answers his PM’s.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-07-2020, 06:12 PM

Long range shooting at game (past 350-400yds) is for most most hunters not a great idea.

Most game can be stalked using skill, and patience. For me its the most exciting, and if successful, rewarding part of a hunt.

Shooting anything at extreme range is risking a wounded animal, and in my opinion unethical.

The long range hunting shows are a poor example of true hunting skills.It encourages lesser skilled riflemen into believing its for them.

Hunters used to talk about how close they could get before shooting. Now it seems, for some at least, its all about how long a shot they made!
Old 03-07-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
It’s actually child’s play, but I digress. There are adult man feelings at stake here.

Well sure but it's easy to hit a hill.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
I pretty sure duceman has a few spots left in his shoot, chuck, so why don’t you pony up a few dollars and come show us “adults” how it’s done.
I’m sure Lee still answers his PM’s.
Dick, I have access to all the shooting I want at any range I want. I have ZERO interest in someone else’s schedule, nor paying money to do what I do for free. I also have ZERO interest in heavy rifles or waiting on any firing line. I also consider Sunday the sabbath and treat it as such.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-07-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Dick, I have access to all the shooting I want at any range I want. I have ZERO interest in someone else’s schedule, nor paying money to do what I do for free. I also have ZERO interest in heavy rifles or waiting on any firing line. I also consider Sunday the sabbath and treat it as such.
It’s on a Saturday, and there’s a hunting rifle division.

Suit yourself, but I’d respectfully suggest if you want to raise your nose so high, maybe somebody someday is going to take a dump in it sooner or later.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-07-2020, 07:00 PM

I’m comfortable with my choice.

-Billy Molls

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 03-07-2020 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:22 PM

to the OP. 1 MOA at 800 would be acceptable and with enough speed left to reliably expand. But the amount of practice and potential for adverse conditions keeps me from trying that shot on game.

For me 500 is a long shot

And haven’t taken game past 350
Old 03-07-2020, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight01 View Post
to the OP. 1 MOA at 800 would be acceptable and with enough speed left to reliably expand. But the amount of practice and potential for adverse conditions keeps me from trying that shot on game.

For me 500 is a long shot

And haven’t taken game past 350
That is assuming the 1 moa groups at 100 have a zero ES muzzle velocity, but add a +/- 30fps variance on your ammo and youve got an additional vertical variable probably 6 to 10 inches depending on your bullet... practice on the range before you decide to hunt based on your computer calculator what your shot is going to do.

And then there is also the issue of wind...

Last edited by Nyksta; 03-07-2020 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-08-2020, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
#1.thank you to all the self acclaimed expertsthat replied,#1.how many of you are out shooting in the snow and wind today,learning to dope wind is done in the wind,#2.how many of you have shot over 300-500 rounds this year,#3.why is it a fluke when someone other then you does it,#4.why join a range so a person can wait and listen to all the negative comments when a 30-378 wby is run just an ex,#5,practice and learn your weapon,6#,calm animals are all over and can be caught in there beds but hard to see from pavement,#7 if the first three go in the same hole why shoot 4,5 waste of money,#8you can make or build a gong for less then 100$ and it can be moble,#9 who runs before shooting any distance lol it’s hunting not a war animals don’t shoot back lmao,#10 with today’s tech and optics there has been No better time ever to shoot extended ranges,it all comes down To dedicated time to practice seriously,My Dad had us shooting at tires rolling down a hill with targets attached to them,learning how to shoot an animal on the run,the more you do it the better you get period. Sorry this is not written to offend anyone just is what it is.oh
AST point not everyone lives in fear of recoil just my $.02 cents have a good day all an year this is my last post ever .......

SIMPLE TEST even you can do it......buy a .22 rimfire....go out to the gopher field find a couple dozen gophers at 300 yards...don't worry they won't even know your there..take a couple bricks of ammo shoot at those gophers then get back to us on all your skills and how many you got..first shot... (PS. only head shots please, that should equate to about the heart/lung area on a big deer at 800 yards). I am sure most here will wait for your report with baited breath........
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 03-09-2020, 02:30 AM

Quote:

Lots of errors in the positioning of your body and rifle, your hunched up to far ahead and to high on your shoulders or maybe it just looks that way, poor habit to get into.. Plus a x on the pic may help to show your target. Looks like a child taught you ,you need a good instructor to teach you the right forms for body aliment .along with rifle .I don't have the time to re correct poor habits.but there's guys that have more patients then me

Just my opinion as I see it, plus keep you rounds on a nice warm dry sheet along with your body, hell man your a wreck.

JD

Last edited by JD848; 03-09-2020 at 02:46 AM.
Old 03-09-2020, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
Lots of errors in the positioning of your body and rifle, your hunched up to far ahead and to high on your shoulders or maybe it just looks that way, poor habit to get into.. Plus a x on the pic may help to show your target. Looks like a child taught you ,you need a good instructor to teach you the right forms for body aliment .along with rifle .I don't have the time to re correct poor habits.but there's guys that have more patients then me

Just my opinion as I see it, plus keep you rounds on a nice warm dry sheet along with your body, hell man your a wreck.

JD

Old 03-09-2020, 07:01 AM

Quote:

JD
This is a picture of a 14 year old kid shooting 550 yds for the first time very successfully. But I’m sure he would appreciate the tips.

This is why it’s soooo funny. Grown men telling grown men that they can’t do things.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-09-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:

JD
I'm interested in seeing the ideal posture you're describing, can you post some pics of the proper field prone shooting form.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:

JD
Now just what do you think you accomplished by posting that?
Old 03-09-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
That is assuming the 1 moa groups at 100 have a zero ES muzzle velocity, but add a +/- 30fps variance on your ammo and youve got an additional vertical variable probably 6 to 10 inches depending on your bullet... practice on the range before you decide to hunt based on your computer calculator what your shot is going to do.

And then there is also the issue of wind...
Yes absolutely. You can’t just shoot at 100 and dial up to 800.
You have to actually shoot those distances and see / learn how your gun and ammo can perform. You are right Wind is huge.
Actual , practical practice. In field conditions are different than range bench conditions too. I freehand, kneel , sit, lie down with a backpack, stand and use shooting sticks. Whatever your likely to encounter.
Practice, Practice, Practice
Old 03-09-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
This is a picture of a 14 year old kid shooting 550 yds for the first time very successfully. But I’m sure he would appreciate the tips.

This is why it’s soooo funny. Grown men telling grown men that they can’t do things.
Good for him.
Most 14 year olds don't get the opportunity to shoot that far.
Too many just shoot of the bench at 100 then get taken out hunting.
He'll have a good appreciation for what that gun is capable of and limited to.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:

Chuck I didn't know it was your son,his position is good and the rest was just to get a rise out of you ,your way to serious about this all through this thread.

If I have offended you I apologize with all my heart, please continue everyone and have a great day.

The men part does make me laugh, so relax and I have always spoken well about you teaching your kids and you know it.

AS for the rest carry on and take care.

JD