Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-03-2012, 06:25 PM

Default Cost Effective Methods of Growing a Business

I've owned a business in the Edmonton area for a couple years. Not related to hunting or fishing, and I'm not going to say what it is cause I don't want to use the forum to pick up business.

Anyways the most effective method to picking up new business is always referals. I've done a whole gamit of advertizing and only gotten what I feel is minimal return. Yellowpages advertizing (prohibitive and ineffective), newspapers, coffee news, etc have only shown some return. Ive spent conciderably and ironicly after a cancelled a bunch of it I'm doing greater business.

I am looking for any effective ideas of cost effective advertizing, I know that it may help some out there to know more about my company, but I want to keep that hush hush, so I don't have to watch my peas and cues so much on here.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:27 PM
sheephunter

Social media is big.

Check this video out....it will really open your eyes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpMZbT1tx2o&feature=fvst
Old 05-03-2012, 06:36 PM

Social media is the key and I agree. Ive looked at everything from local business websites, groupon, etc. Im not sure how effective facebook is for attracting new business. Maybe I'm a dinosaur, but I see facebook as a way to get people to link to your site.

I am not sure how it gets the new customer other then someone telling there friend that you have an online coupon or something.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:36 PM
Gone Hunting

One thing you need to do is tell people more about your business.

I'm already losing interest.
Seriously different businesses require different approaches. Sometimes a website works but it wouldn't be great for a restaurant. More info please

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-03-2012, 06:38 PM

Another vote for social media

I havent looked at the yellow pages in years

A website can be gold
Old 05-03-2012, 06:38 PM
Banned

What kind of business do you own? My question is very important if we can help you.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:47 PM

depends on how you define your market segment, as to which vehicles are applicable. The specifics of your business are not really that important, but who you sell to is.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:57 PM
Banned

I'm just starting an IT biz in Edmonton...

Word of mouth is good, but doesn't seem to bring in as much business as I thought.

Website is good - but it has to be well written, submitted to search engines and even then there's no guarantee of good hits. I find simple is better, if I have to spend more than a minute looking for an address or phone number or any other info, i'm moving on.

Facebook, twitter and other sites are great - but you have to be willing to work at it, update and post.

Blogs are great too, they show your interests and they show you know your stuff.

Customer service is number one as you know.

yellow pages and other older advertising means are dead. I haven't looked in a phone book for eons.

when I buy my truck, it's going to be an advertising banner in itself.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:01 PM

If companies don't have websites or some form of internet presence, I don't tend to visit them. I like to know what I'm getting before making the 400 km round trip to the city to be disappointed.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:19 PM
Banned

Other things as well...

I don't deal with companies that use hotmail/shaw/telus or any other freebie email addresses, doesn't look very professional.

If you don't have a website, at very least register a domain and put up a splash page, something that details what you do and your contact information. A domain name averages $10 a year, and a good hosting package comes at $50 a year. I host 7 websites, doesn't cost me any more. Email addresses are unlimited and the extra space will give you room to upload and store files of any type.

If you have clients that have an office, drop some business cards off to them. Mine will put them in the card rack at reception.