Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-03-2012, 01:19 PM
Banned

Default What do you guys think about this idea in shooting ranges

We have bear and wild animal defense training. The reason why I don't want to go to a range is that my friends and I like to have scenarios while practicing. We put a bear picture on a cart and have someone pull it towards the shooter as fast as possible. We then shoot it to see how well we would do in a bear attack situation. We got the idea when we saw the guys from the yukon do the same thing.
Sometimes we use zombies.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerb View Post
We have bear and wild animal defense training. The reason why I don't want to go to a range is that my friends and I like to have scenarios while practicing. We put a bear picture on a cart and have someone pull it towards the shooter as fast as possible. We then shoot it to see how well we would do in a bear attack situation. We got the idea when we saw the guys from the yukon do the same thing.
I'd let the zombies pull the cart all of the time.
Safer for your friends that way...especially since your shooting real fast and all.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:55 PM

What a great idea..and sounds like it would be fun as well.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:05 PM

I like the idea. And I don't even think the number of casualties will be very high.

Seriously, moving targets in an enclosed, controlled indoor range would be very cool. People pulling ropes on home-made rigs out at Sibald, not so much.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I like the idea. And I don't even think the number of casualties will be very high.

Seriously, moving targets in an enclosed, controlled indoor range would be very cool. People pulling ropes on home-made rigs out at Sibald, not so much.
Try and keep up...sometimes he uses zombies.....geez.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
Safer for your friends that way...especially since your shooting real fast and all.
Holy ***t! I just blew Pepsi out my nose. nice one
Old 05-03-2012, 02:59 PM

Definitely saw this on an episode of Sarah Palin's Alaska ...

Looked like fun.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:03 PM
sheephunter

There's some shooting schools in the U.S. that do similar type stuff. Definitely good practice.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:10 PM

Get a handgun and join an IDPA club like Buffalo Target or the like. This way you can practice "real life" scenarios in the comfort of trained individuals. . I'm sure you can also use service rifles and shotguns during practice if your lucky.

Either way, be careful out there. I don't think it’s a great idea using live rounds for that kind of training, especially if someone is pulling any sort of target. The sport doesn’t need an unnecessary fatality gathering headlines for those pro registration folks.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:12 PM
sheephunter

I'm kind of guessing the OP meant someone was pulling a rope attached to the target from a safe position behind the shooter.....at least that's what I read into it.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
We put a bear picture on a cart and have someone pull it towards the shooter as fast as possible. We then shoot it to see how well we would do in a bear attack situation.
Any kind of practise that involves safely shooting your firearms is a good thing, but I wouldn't consider the situation quite the same as a real bear attack. Fear and adrenaline can be significant factors, just as buck fever often is. I have seen people that were normally very good shots miss otherwise easy shots, due to buck fever. I find that shooting skeet helps people to acquire moving targets quicker, and to learn how to lead targets.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:55 PM
Banned

Why not find a hill that someone can roll a tire down at you? The person rolling it can take cover on the other side of the hill before you start shooting and you'll add more realism with the fear of an out of control tire careening down a hill towards you at 30 mph.......! Please video tape it for our viewing pleasure.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:01 PM

yep what dave said.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:13 PM

There is a place in the states somewhere that does this for training hunters to deal with charging buffalo! Watched it on a Roger raglin hunting movie. Guy actually shows how to reload very quickly with a bolt action rifle too! Roger only gets 2 shots off at the target. Most shooters can get 3 in the kill by the time they are done training! Shooting a scoped bolt action rifle. They pull it with a quad, and have it set up on a rail system! It's pretty neat! Good idea I think!
Old 05-03-2012, 06:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz View Post
Get a handgun and join an IDPA club like Buffalo Target or the like. This way you can practice "real life" scenarios in the comfort of trained individuals. . I'm sure you can also use service rifles and shotguns during practice if your lucky.

Either way, be careful out there. I don't think it’s a great idea using live rounds for that kind of training, especially if someone is pulling any sort of target. The sport doesn’t need an unnecessary fatality gathering headlines for those pro registration folks.
Ahaha no the guy stands behind you with a very long rope. There is also a mark about 6 feet away where you have to stop shooting. That way you do not swing around and hit someone. I do agree that you cannot simulate adrenaline and panic. But hey its better than nothing.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:38 PM

Try using those cheap rubber balls you can but at Walmart and roll them down a hill towards the shooter.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:12 PM

Default balloons

We've done similiar practice with balloons out on the bald-azz prairie. Have someone upwind let the balloons go at a regular pace, and see how well you do as the balloons go bouncing off of every gopher mound and sage brush. Just make sure you pick up your targets at the end of the day!
Old 05-03-2012, 08:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerb View Post
Get some old truck tires and bolt some plywood on the sides. You can bolt 2 or 3 together as well.

Roll them around and practice shooting them. Be smart and safe and you can have some good fun and learn a lot!
Old 05-03-2012, 08:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Why not find a hill that someone can roll a tire down at you? The person rolling it can take cover on the other side of the hill before you start shooting and you'll add more realism with the fear of an out of control tire careening down a hill towards you at 30 mph.......! Please video tape it for our viewing pleasure.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
Funniest post I have read in a very long time. Thanks