Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-02-2012, 03:18 PM

Default when the campers a rockin!

Just got a truck camper(kind that sits in the box), and chained it down to hooks in the box...... anyways, the truck rocks back and forth like crazy when i drive it. question is, if i put the square tubing across the bottom of the truck to the frame and chain down to that instead,..... will this eliminate all the rocking and swaying its doing now? thanks.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
if i put the square tubing across the bottom of the truck to the frame and chain down to that instead,..... will this eliminate all the rocking and swaying its doing now? thanks.
arent those required by law?

never had a camper but was told it was law many years ago when i looked into buying one.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
arent those required by law?

never had a camper but was told it was law many years ago when i looked into buying one.
i think they are required.... just bought it from guy down the road and brought it home this way..... getting the tubing on friday, but was wondering if all the swaying was from a problem with my truck or after its chained down to the frame and not the box, if that would shape it up....
Old 05-02-2012, 03:31 PM

lol.. My neighbor had this same issue. Turns out a 1/2 ton short box doesn't have enough payload or wheelbase for a TC. Sounds like you have the same issue (ie center of gravity of camper is behind or close to the rear wheels.

If the truck is rocking, this is your problem, if just the camper is rocking, then you need to secure it down more.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
lol.. My neighbor had this same issue. Turns out a 1/2 ton short box doesn't have enough payload or wheelbase for a TC. Sounds like you have the same issue (ie center of gravity of camper is behind or close to the rear wheels.

If the truck is rocking, this is your problem, if just the camper is rocking, then you need to secure it down more.
hmmmm, my old 1/2 ton extended cab shortbox didnt have this problem....
Old 05-02-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:

Tough enough now.

What are we going to do with our campers, when you can't find an 8' box anymore?

Grizz
Old 05-02-2012, 03:40 PM

Look into some helper springs or put airbags on it that should help quite a bit
Old 05-02-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
guy could just need a lighter girlfriend no??
Old 05-02-2012, 03:48 PM

Ya i think it should help you out, especially with the side to side motion. Right now you are getting quite a bit of sway from your suspension. When steadied to the frame, you should lose a bit of the rocking (i think......haha).
Old 05-02-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
hmmmm, my old 1/2 ton extended cab shortbox didnt have this problem....
That's not a short box (6.5ft), I mean the 4.5ft ones on the 1/2 ton crewcabs.

Quote:
guy could just need a lighter girlfriend no??
That or let her ride up front in the cab..
Old 05-02-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Just got a truck camper(kind that sits in the box), and chained it down to hooks in the box...... anyways, the truck rocks back and forth like crazy when i drive it. question is, if i put the square tubing across the bottom of the truck to the frame and chain down to that instead,..... will this eliminate all the rocking and swaying its doing now? thanks.
it should help quite a bit. i always used a belly bar with my campers.
for extra stability i drilled holes in the back bumper & put hooks on it
as well. that way i had it tied down with 4 chains.front & back.
not that we get any wind here in southern alberta of course.lol

good luck!

orv.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:54 PM

i had mounts to my frame that came just under the rockers on my xcab shortbox chev, and the back chains were bolted to the bumper corners. had a set of 3/4t leaves, and never noticed swaying, even on windy days. the glove box stated not for use with overhead camper, but fold down the tailgate and you have 8' of deck to put the camper on. i would also recommend 'e' rated tires. as a side note, my 19' 5th wheeler used less gas than the 8' overhead camper did.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:07 PM

Default campers

I just brought a 9 ft. camper for a 6ft 6 in. box. with the tailgate down i have 6 ins. over the back. No sway as I have 4 tie downs just to the bumper [2] and 2 to the rings in the truck box. No problem with swaying or anything. The last camper I had was on a 95 ford i/2 ton and I needed airbags but truthfully I do not think that belly bars make a difference. thks Piker
Old 05-02-2012, 10:30 PM

The only thing I would feel comfortable tying to the back bumper on today's new trucks is a small dog or misbehaving child..lol. Own a 2010 dodge 3500 and one day when I was backing up to the utility trailer my foot slipped off the brake and tapped the hitch on the bumper hard enough to move the trailer back enough so the trailer jack fell off the 6x6 block it was sitting on. Left a nice dent which took some beating and cursing to push back out.

I know...I know...The dodge jokes are gonna come out now.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:26 AM

How old is the truck? Might be time to change some shocks to better ones. Helper springs may be needed also. Jump on your back bumper a couple of times and stop quickly. If the truck bounces a couple of times after you stop jumping you need new shocks. If it stops after one they are still good.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
How old is the truck? Might be time to change some shocks to better ones. Helper springs may be needed also. Jump on your back bumper a couple of times and stop quickly. If the truck bounces a couple of times after you stop jumping you need new shocks. If it stops after one they are still good.
thankyou, ill try this...
Old 05-03-2012, 12:45 PM

Default Camper sway

Its your suspension, look into some Timbren products or add overloads springs to the truck. Fastening it down more securely is a must but will not help sway.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:19 PM

The best solution is to buy a set of air bags for the back that way you dont ruin your ride when you dont have the camper. but can pump them up and stop the truck from swaying when your hauling it.

they are easy to install and will make a world of difference.

best of luck!
Old 05-03-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
Its your suspension, look into some Timbren products or add overloads springs to the truck. Fastening it down more securely is a must but will not help sway.
What he said. Airbags, overload springs, new shocks.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Did you check your truck's real payload rating? The one on a sticker on drivers door or door column not the one in manufacturer's brochure. Compare it to your camper and equipment weight. Check centre of gravity of your camper. The best mounting is when centre of gravity is above or a little bit in front of a rear axle. Chaining down a camper is like securing a load. Truck is rocking due to weight and weight distribution on a truck bed.