Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-02-2012, 07:22 PM

Default Anyone watching whale wars?

As much as I am torn about what they are doing, I had to change the channel when they showed the corralling and slaughter of hundreds of whales at a time.

That was too much.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-03-2012, 02:56 PM

As much as alot of animal protection groups annoy me, I kind of empathize with the people who are battling the whalers.

Massive whaling operations should be a thing of the past. There are other ways of obtaining food that do not depend on hunting and killing an endangered species.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:49 PM

Default Whales

I am not sure that all varieties of whales are endangered. That being said, I for one am not a big fan of whale hunting/killing, and am even more against dolphin hunting. These top level predators are full of harmful chemicals (mercury being one) and from what I understand, a significant amount of whale meat is too toxic for regular consumption........... of course if you know better by all means correct me........

Old 05-03-2012, 04:36 PM

Default Whales

As someone who has killed whales for food, I caution everyone to find more then one source of info to base their decision of the whaling industry.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:41 PM

Ya, very terrible...next thing you know their gonna shut down Alberta's Grizzly Bear season.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:09 PM

In the last episode they were fighting a town killing pods of pilot whales. It got wound right up, and as much as I sympathize with the people that liken eating whale to us eating chicken and beef, I do feel for whales and dolphins. (seals, bears, etc)

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-03-2012, 07:13 PM
Banned

Muk Tuk tastes good.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:30 PM

I love the show. More for the antics of crew than for the actually saving the whales. If a show was made about whales destroying an endangered fish species than peoples attitude would be kill whales and get their population down to save the endangered elf fish. 2 sides to every story, whale wars just shows one.

Btw, I'm pro whaling and pro sealing, as long as its within reason. Why is the fact that Russia and Norway each kill as many or more whales than Japan never mentioned