Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-02-2012, 10:11 PM

Default playground speed zone

Don't normally rant but..........

I'll start with a question but only you will know if you answer correct and without hesitation.

How late is the playground 30km/h in effect?

Well.........little miss you're in my way was all over passing my slow arse and blaring the horn and swearing at me for blocking her road proceeded to tell me at the next intersection that sunset was more than an hour ago and she was going to call 911 if I slowed down in front of her again!

The funny thing is that this occurred at 7:45 pm today.

According to average sunset tables, sunset in calgary was at 9:01pm today, so.......playground 30 speed limit in effect until 10:01 pm.

My rant. Thank you.

BTW did you know it correctly without hesitation?

Geo
Old 05-02-2012, 10:20 PM

I always treat it as a 30 zone, regard less of time. Not worth the fine to not slow down for 2 minutes.

Buddy of mine got a ticket for doing 115 in a school zone once. On hwy 32 south of whitecourt there is a school on the highway, goes from 100km/h to 30. It was at 10:00 pm in early July on a Sunday, he said he just kept on trucking, and then he.seen the lights come on. Cop explained the school/ playground rule to him and gave him a ticket for 15km over, instead of taking his licence on the spot.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:35 PM

School zone is 7:30-5:30 on school days only (not in effect summer or weekends, unless otherwise posted)
Playground zones are 8:30-one hour after sunset 365 days/year.

Also, most two-lane playground/school zones there is NO passing. So even if the car beside you is going 20 kmh, you cannot pass them.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:49 PM

I think most/many school or playground zones are great, while others are simply money-grabs. I'm a parent of a 4-year old so I'm certainly cognizant of kids safety, but when one considers the physical barriers present adjacent to some schools there's little common sense with the playground or school zones. Take for instance 14th street NW north of nose Hill Park: the limit slows to 30km/h where there are two high chain-link fences that would prevent people from crossing the street from the playground/field. The intersection there is fully controlled by traffic lights so that should be fine for a 50km/h limit (And no, I've never got a ticket there). I'm also not big on the timing of school zones, I mean they're only a minor inconvenience so it's nothing I'd bother to pursue through a politician; but why are we slowing down at times other than lunch and the beginning and end of the school day? Those times are when the kids are outside, but somehow we have to drive by more slowly while they're in their desks learning about Confederation and long division? There are playground zones where in 25 years of driving I've not once seen a child at the playground (Flint Road near Heritage Drive, in addition to others) or perhaps have seen them less than twice over the same span. These spots are actually often much less dangerous than spots that might not be playground zones, but due to busy pedestrian activity are much more statistically likely to have kids present.

I agree with sprinklerdog that the limits should be adhered to, and in fact I find there are some areas where I'll slow down when lots of youngsters are out even if no signage is instructing me to; but I do find some ghost-town playground zones and physically-impassible-by-pedestrians school zones somewhat absurd.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:22 PM
Banned

Unless it's after midnight...I expect kids to be about... especially in summer.
Schools... playgrounds... parks...I always slow down a bit.
I wouldn't feel one bit bad about inconveniencing her by being safe.

Those regulations might help you if a tragedy occurs but they sure won't help any kid that happens to be out a bit later than expected when he hops out in front of you....and who wants THAT on their conscience?
Old 05-02-2012, 11:27 PM

One of the girlfriends friends just had their kid killed last week in a playground zone. Just about to turn 3. His ball rolled out in to the street, he went after it. The mom tried to catch him and yelled for him to stop but he didn't listen. Got hit by a car. The person never even stopped, they actually sped off . She seen the plate and called the cops and the plate came back as a stolen plate. Hope the pos gets what he deserves one day.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Dave View Post
Also, most two-lane playground/school zones there is NO passing. So even if the car beside you is going 20 kmh, you cannot pass them.
I found this out a few years ago and it is a major ticket that boosted my insurance. Still wish I had fought it but didn't know how bad it was when I went and paid it.

I was going down a 4 lane road (2 lanes in each direction) I was the only car in the left lane, and slightly behind 4 cars that were in the right lane.
All of us were doing 30 km/h.
At the end of the Playground Zone was a pedestrian crossing with the Lights. As I was half way through the zone (went for about 800 meters) 2 kids on bikes hit the button and proceeded to walk across. The 4 cars in the right lane slowed down for the kids and stopped at the stop line. I also slowed down but passed 3 cars coming to the stop line for the pedestrian crossing. F***ing female cop hiding behind bus stop shelter at the end of the playground zone stopped me for passing in a playground zone, which like I said is a major ticket. But when you hear that - it sounds like you drive like an A**hole and passed some granny doing 28 in a playground full of kids.

Still makes me mad thinking about it today.

I paid for that one with 3 years of increased insurance + the ticket.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:40 AM

GUILTY. I thought it was 1/2 hr after sunset. That being said I try and drive defensively all the time and always slow down in areas where there are kids no matter what the time.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
School zone is 7:30-5:30 on school days only
I believe it is actually 7:30am to 5:00pm.

I can't remember where, but there are some cities contemplating getting rid of school zones. I think it was Regina...
Old 05-03-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
One of the girlfriends friends just had their kid killed last week in a playground zone. Just about to turn 3. His ball rolled out in to the street, he went after it. The mom tried to catch him and yelled for him to stop but he didn't listen. Got hit by a car. The person never even stopped, they actually sped off . She seen the plate and called the cops and the plate came back as a stolen plate. Hope the pos gets what he deserves one day.
This is my nightmare....

I have 4 rambunctious boys and when outside on their bikes etc. i always worry...

I live in a little hamlet just out of Edmonton and have seen delipfarts boiling through town. There is a 50 zone there and one guy decided to do 100km and passed me in town and the stopped at store...

I waited until he came out of store and I casually and calmly explained that he did not need to go ripping through town like that that there are kids all over and that his red bull was not worth killing one of my kids...

He apologised profusely and I thanked him for slowing down next time....

Now when he comes through town he is very cautious and careful...and when I see him at store I always say a friendly hello!...

One day while I was at store he was giving another guy supreme crap for driving too fast through twon... and said it was not worth killing a kid... for cigarettes...

This guy told the young fellow to (Rhymes with puck and bug repellant) The kid camne completely unglued and kicked the living bejeesus out of the diptard... When all said and done I walked over and shook his hand and told him i did not see a thing!...

It was awesome!...

I once had a situation going through Spruce where I saw a toddler running away form his Mom towards grove drive so I blocked both lanes and stopped and a pair of teens in car behind me started honking...and shouting...until they saw the toddler get caught by his mom on the road in front of our cars....

I got out and explained that they need to always beon the lookout and how they would have felt otherwise... They were white!....

It can jappen so fast!... and for the one that posted about the barriers to the playground....It is not the ones on the playground that need to be protected but the ones going to and from....
Old 05-03-2012, 11:10 AM

I always do 30 in school zones till at least 5:30, it's really amazing how many people will ride your bumper in school/playground zones! Funny how abiding the laws makes you the bad guy these days! Maybe we need stiffer speeding penalties? Oh wait....the cops don't want to punish speeders, they want them to keep speeding so that they get more tickets!
Old 05-03-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
Two hours after your first story about your buddy getting a ticket in a zone you remember this way more impactful one? You must have a memory like mine. Where did this happen? I don't know how one is ever able to live semi-normally after losing a child.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:17 PM

Default zone or area?

Was this a playground area or playground zone? I beleive it makes a difference if not posted.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:29 PM

Well I flunked this one but on the caution side. The only playground zone I drive through around our area is in the North Star Hamlet and because there are no times posted on the playground zone speed limit signs I have always taken that to mean it is 30 kph all of the time, day or night. In this hamlet I could actually see older kids being allowed out late and even in the dark and they have to cross at least a gravel road or an asphalt road to get to the playground (depends where they live in the hamlet). I think I am gonna stick to my 24 hour playground zone speed limit. I would rather be safe than sorry. Had a coworker's 3 year old hit by a car in the early 70's - she survived but it sure is tough to go visit a little one in the hospital who is not understanding how what she did had anything to do with her ending up on the wrong end of a moving vehicle.

Interesting thread. Could someone make a thread on the left turn lights? I can never remember if blinking arrow means OK go or if you wait till solid arrow.............When in doubt I STOP and wait till there is no traffic that might hit me then I go but not when the arrow is red, not anymore I don't.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:58 PM

Default playground

ATF it was a playground zone, clearly marked no signs or trees to block the signage either. If the wide open park area or playground structure wasn't a clue for her, I don't think anything would help.
Looking back on it, it's kinda funny how mad she was, and what a foul mouth. Oh well.

Geo
Old 05-03-2012, 05:05 PM

School Zone times as taken from the Alberta Drivers Handbook

Times (school days only) are:
• 8:00 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.
• 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
• 3:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.

These hours may vary for different
towns and cities according to municipal
bylaws. If a municipality does establish
times different from these, the times will
be posted beneath the school sign.

You are not permitted to pass or
attempt to pass another vehicle travelling
in the same direction within a school zone,
when the zone is in effect.

The speed limit for both urban and
rural school zones is 30 km/h unless
otherwise posted.

Playground Zones

When you approach
a playground sign with
a maximum speed sign
attached to it, you are
entering a playground
zone. You must not
exceed the posted
speed, when the zone
is in effect.
Playground restrictions are in effect
every day from 8:30 a.m. to one hour
after sunset.

You are not permitted to pass
or attempt to pass another vehicle
travelling in the same direction within
a playground zone when the speed
restriction is in effect.

The speed limit for both urban
and rural playground zones, when the
times are in effect, is 30 km/h unless
otherwise posted.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbAngler View Post
I believe it is actually 7:30am to 5:00pm.
You're right. My error was half brain-fart, half typo. I knew it was 5:00.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinklerdog View Post
ATF it was a playground zone, clearly marked no signs or trees to block the signage either. If the wide open park area or playground structure wasn't a clue for her, I don't think anything would help.
Looking back on it, it's kinda funny how mad she was, and what a foul mouth. Oh well.

Geo
So it wasn't just the playground sign which indicates a playground area. It had a speed limit posted beneath it which makes it a play ground zone. Then yeah she needs an edumacation.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Two hours after your first story about your buddy getting a ticket in a zone you remember this way more impactful one? You must have a memory like mine. Where did this happen? I don't know how one is ever able to live semi-normally after losing a child.
I didn't remember it. I was telling her about this thread and she told me the story. I asked why she didn't tell me before and she said it wasn't something she really wanted to talk about. Her friend is in London, ON.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:18 PM

What's really entertaining is when you have a playground zone followed immediately by a school zone. And then at 5:00, you have the school zone no longer valid, so half the drivers are zooming through at 50, others are still doing 30..then you hit the playground zone and back down to 30....
They should just have them all a school/playground zone valid 365 days a year during daylight hours. Confusion solved.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinklerdog View Post

BTW did you know it correctly without hesitation?

Geo
I did...and I am aware of sunup and sundown times each day during my morning shave. My max speed for all playground and active school zones is 25 kph...unless you are riding my ass and being an ass...then it is 20 kph.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
They should just have them all a school/playground zone valid 365 days a year during daylight hours. Confusion solved.
I agree, a standardised 'zone' active 365 from 7am-9pm works for me.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toirtis View Post
I did...and I am aware of sunup and sundown times each day during my morning shave. My max speed for all playground and active school zones is 25 kph...unless you are riding my ass and being an ass...then it is 20 kph.
I like your style. I too find that when someone rides my butt, I some how seem to slow down a little extra. Maybe I get nervous.