Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-03-2012, 03:57 PM

Default Any FrontPage Experts out there

I know it is not a favorite programmers software for website building but it is all I have to work with.
Motherboard on old computer died so I lost my working copy of my site in FP on old hard drive.
I am supposed to be able to import my whole site from server into FP on new computer so I have an exact copy to modify and publish changes.

Tried a few times and although program says "because site was created in FP the format navigation and borders will be retained on the destination site"

Not happening as tried many times and copy downloaded has no borders or navigation buttons to other pages??

Have book from Plotkin and following exact instructions every time and not working. Do I have to go out and buy new software and start over??
Old 05-03-2012, 04:27 PM

for starters, as an AO supporter, I can't imagine why your website link isn't prominent in your posts. Secondly, if your motherboard died, your harddrive should be fully recoverable, thirdly, toss that frontpage crap as quick as you can.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:17 PM

Default We are all AO supporters

I just happen to be a sponsor as well so a link to my website is on page one of the online gamebird regs. However you are right it should be part of my signature.

I took the old hard drive out of the old computer and copied it to the new computer. Although the website is in My Webs under the label of Old CPU it is not a copy I can work from or publish corrections or changes since the operating program FrontPage was not copied at the same time. I have the Original disk for FP and have installed it on the new computer but when I copy either from the web server in the US or the Old Computer/My Webs on C drive I am not getting the "format" transfer with the text and pictures.

Everyone who has ever taken any web design stuff has told me to stay away from FP as it makes too much code but unfortunatly that is what I made my website from over 10 years ago since I don't know code or anshi or any other program langauge. FrontPage was and I guess stil is WYSIWYG so it was the only option for my self made site at the time.
Trying to salvage what has been working and not start over again
thanks
Rob
Old 05-03-2012, 05:20 PM
sheephunter

Perhaps your old version of Front Page is not compatible with you new Operating System?
Old 05-04-2012, 06:04 AM

as you can see, Frontpage experts are few, if any. Briefly looking at your site It appears that your simply serviing pages and have no server side scripting going on, so it truly is wyswyg, meaning that if you save each page as veiwed through your browers, you'll have it all.

Check with your hoster to see what site development tools they offer as part of the hosting package. Even then, simple sites often only require a text editor and google to familiarize yourself with html syntax.

Personally, your site could use some work. I like tighter graphics, less movement, clear navigation.

At anyrate, you can see I can't help with Frontpage.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:18 AM

FrontPage has not been around for a while. The new version of the software is called Expression Web 4 and you can download a trial version for free to see if it will work for you. You can have someone build you a website and ask them to make it friendly with the Expression Web 4 software so you can edit it.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:29 AM

Default Go Open Source

As simple as HTML is... I get it that not everyone has an aptitude for writing code. That said, if you have to use a WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editor there are much better programs to use than Frontpage or anything else that Microsoft has to offer. The code that is generated by the Microsoft editors is bloated, confusing and rarely supports all the available browsers.

Do a google search for "open source wysiwyg html editor" and try out a few different products until you find one you like.