Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-03-2012, 08:46 PM

Default When will it happen?

A friend and I were talking at work today and got me thinkin...

When do you think our newly elected provincial government will be adding a Provincial Sales Tax to help raise money for their "budget"?

I am guessing within 18 months, so that we will "forget" about it and be used to it by the time the next election comes in...
Old 05-03-2012, 08:50 PM

Just before Christmas next year, so.they can cash in all the Christmas shopping season.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:00 PM

12-18 months would be my guess. Then more money will be given to the special interest groups by way of "programs" and funding - teachers, unions, government workers, etc. Once people form the habit of sucking at the government teat, they'll elect you forever.

I'd also watch for some giveaway of our provincial resource revenue, whether by direct payment or by stealth - a la Dion's "Green Shift".
Old 05-03-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
12-18 months would be my guess. Then more money will be given to the special interest groups by way of "programs" and funding - teachers, unions, government workers, etc. Once people form the habit of sucking at the government teat, they'll elect you forever.

I'd also watch for some giveaway of our provincial resource revenue, whether by direct payment or by stealth - a la Dion's "Green Shift".
Old 05-03-2012, 09:19 PM

so how much sales tax would one expect to see ? i guess gst applies there as well?
Old 05-03-2012, 09:20 PM

hmmm we are not amused
Old 05-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Banned

They'll call it HST
Old 05-03-2012, 09:30 PM

I'm figuring 8% gst included. 3% isn't much right, surly in the richest province in Canada we can afford a little 3% increase can't we? How much will it really effect you
Old 05-03-2012, 09:49 PM

Its not whether we can afford it or not. A goverment that lies and spends beyonds its means, in what you said is the richest juristiction in Canada, and then adds a sales tax to support their crack spending habits.

Alberta deserves the goverment they elected.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:29 PM
Banned

are there any pst's in Canada less than 5%? That would be my guess. When they'll bring it in? probably not for a year...after memories of election promises etc have worn off, and soon enough as was said before, that people will be used to it by the time the next election rolls around.

I'm guessing it will be under the guise of "Alberta is the last and only province in Canada without a provincial sales tax. None of the experts on our no-meet committees ever thought oil would go under $100, so as a responsible "conservative" gov't we have no choice but to implement a pst to assure continuance of essential services Albertans have come to expect and deserve, we will not sacrifice the health care, safety or education of Albertans!" or something like that.

The nodding masses will cheer, "Hoorraahh! Premier Mom has saved us once again!"

Old 05-03-2012, 10:35 PM

If a PST comes in, that will be the sword that the PCs flop themselves onto and the icing on the cake for a WR majority.....maybe even clean sweep.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
are there any pst's in Canada less than 5%? That would be my guess. When they'll bring it in? probably not for a year...after memories of election promises etc have worn off, and soon enough as was said before, that people will be used to it by the time the next election rolls around.

I'm guessing it will be under the guise of "Alberta is the last and only province in Canada without a provincial sales tax. None of the experts on our no-meet committees ever thought oil would go under $100, so as a responsible "conservative" gov't we have no choice but to implement a pst to assure continuance of essential services Albertans have come to expect and deserve, we will not sacrifice the health care, safety or education of Albertans!" or something like that.

The nodding masses will cheer, "Hoorraahh! Premier Mom has saved us once again!"

That reason you gave sounds believable, is swear you work for the pc
Old 05-03-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post
If a PST comes in, that will be the sword that the PCs flop themselves onto and the icing on the cake for a WR majority.....maybe even clean sweep.
Maybe, but I wouldn't count on it.

Most people like free stuff. Canadians like that to be called "programs" and "investments". I used to think Albertans had more sense than that, but now I'm not so sure.

Progressives like to spend. They have lots and lots of good ideers.

It's a match made in he___.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:41 PM
Banned

12 to 18 months sounds reasonable. That would be when all the special interest groups start threatening strikes.

Allison will pay these groups their extortion money. A sales tax will keep them quiet until the next time the extortionists come around.

It must be nice to be a conservative in Alberta and want a sales tax and give money away to the other provinces.

This was never the conservative party I knew.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'd like to think you're right, and hope you are, but when I look at the results of the last election, I have to wonder. Redford will use her time to grow the government, expanding her voter base, more people from left leaning parts of the country will move here. Once gov't programs become entrenched they are hard to get rid of, and this is the risk people see in the WR. ("What will they take from me?")

Hope you're right though. It will be very interesting to see what happens in Alberta over the next 4 years. Whether Redford (or the PC mandarins) moves the PC party back to the right of center, or they hold their position to the left.

My assumption that Alberta was a conservative province sure got schooled last election, and I would never again underestimate the will of the people of this province to look to the gov for answers. The times they are a changing.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:50 PM

What he said.

Fingers crossed, but not expecting much good.

If the WR backed off their platform (and they are not going to, btw), they would become a footnote in history and we would be headed toward another false Utopia.

The WR is going to need help to hold the PC government to a trot, but I don't see many that are both informed and willing.

On the other hand, pain is always a good motivator.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
This was never the conservative party I knew.
The $64 dollar question now is whether there were not enough conservative people who "get it" or whether there are now too many people who do get it and like it.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:45 PM

I cannot see a PSTin this term. It would be political suicide and they know it.

One more majority.........perhaps.

While the PCs managed a 'Hail Mary' catch at the 11th hour via fear mongering this time, it will not work the next.

The old timers chickened out, and newbies (due to emmigration) liked the social values appeal in comparison to the WR.

Lack of a PST is a unifying pride of being an Albertan. Almost a cherished thing.

A PST would be the final straw to tip the old timers (provided the WR get their house in order), as well as the hundreds of thousands of us who were not born here and came to Alberta as economic refugees.

I can see them somehow altering the 10% flat tax quietly to make it not so flat, but who knows.

The price of oil isn't going under $100/bbl anytime soon. Ft Mac isn't getting any smaller. Loads of money to be hauled in at the status quo.

Be a shame to see them fak it up again and make eddie look good.

I suppose anything is possible with liberals though.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:57 PM
Banned

Won't happen.

First off you can't set back and brag about how great Alberta is doing and then prove it by starting up a sales tax that is going to make most Albertans go a little bit nuts.

Second thing is once you start talking about that...someone is going to figure out that Albertans are already paying more in taxes than almost anyone else in the country. It's just been called something else or hidden so we don't notice it.

They'll break promises...cut programs ...find some money they didn't know was there, take on debt or stick it to us at the end of the tax year... but there won't be a sales tax.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
I'm figuring 8% gst included. 3% isn't much right, surly in the richest province in Canada we can afford a little 3% increase can't we? How much will it really effect you
Yes but with the tax increase will prices of certain things go down. For example in B.C. we pay only 25$ in student fees for highschool. In Alberta its well over a hundred per child.
B.C. also has a set fee for water usage and you can use as much water as you like. I'm pretty sure many albertans would welcome a slight tax raise if prices for public services went down due to it.
The problem is a pst introduction will probably be spent on useless things hardly help the public in any way.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:18 AM
Banned

don't see a sales tax soon but i do see them accepting huge pay raise for themselfs.
p.s. don't know why this thread is in hunting section, should be in general.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
I'm hoping this was more sarcastic?? 3% plus inflation, plus local tax hikes.. When will the governments realize that with lower taxes people will spend more money.. Tough to spend what you don't have...

Quote:
Hope so!! The last polls before the election figured we'd have a change in the province and they were a TAD off....

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Ummm.... It is....
Old 05-04-2012, 08:25 AM

I am guessing the same day they no longer want to be in power!
Old 05-04-2012, 08:33 AM

I'm unclear why one would ever be required. Way less political heat to raise income tax rates than to implement a sales tax. Seems suicidal to go there in Alberta.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:34 AM

Whatever the PST or HST will be it's going to have to be calculated to round up to the nearest nickle or dime... once we lose the penny, both levels of govt will be grabbing the round ups.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:36 AM

I have heard that by not having a sales tax we are missing out on revenue from visitors and tourists. I just about choked when I heard that from one of the so called "experts".

I don't care if we miss a few bucks on tourists. They spend enough in this province. I spend enough in this province. You want to see a government go down in flames in Alberta. Bring in a sales tax.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:37 AM
Banned

I wish Alberta would implement a 10% sales tax tomorrow so you can send more transfer money up here,

someone has to pay for "northern sovereignty and it may as well be you

just kiddin, if she implements a PST you all need to find a tall tree and a short rope
Old 05-04-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
don't see a sales tax soon but i do see them accepting huge pay raise for themselfs.
I am reading it in the General Discussion forum....But your right about the sales tax,the gov't will not even go there,pay raises...well i dought they will go there either as that one has already caused problems for them.
We pay tax on every dollar we make...then we also pay taxes on the money the gov't leaves us with as with every purchase comes the dreaded gst...and didn't a gov't use "we will get rid of the gst"..we promise that as a platform...or has everybody forgot about that one already?
If we as the general public could ever figure out how much of our money goes to tax us...we may not be the passive canadians that the gov't wants us to be...alot of our tax dollars go into stuff we don't even know about and if we did,i think most of us would very very upset over it.

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 05-04-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yéil View Post
Whatever the PST or HST will be it's going to have to be calculated to round up to the nearest nickle or dime... once we lose the penny, both levels of govt will be grabbing the round ups.
Good point...and your right,taking the penny out of service will give all the retailers and suppliers of all we buy an opportunity to make a penny or two on every sale...then in steps the gov't to get their unfair share!

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 05-04-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post
I have heard that by not having a sales tax we are missing out on revenue from visitors and tourists. I just about choked when I heard that from one of the so called "experts".

I don't care if we miss a few bucks on tourists. They spend enough in this province. I spend enough in this province. You want to see a government go down in flames in Alberta. Bring in a sales tax.
Most jurisdictions that charge a sales tax will re-imburse a foreign tourist once they leave the province. (see Ontario as an example - http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/refund/visitor/) I can't see Alberta using that as a rationale for putting on a sales tax. If they followed the rest of the jurisdictions that refund it, they'd only be returning it to the visitor.