Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-05-2016, 05:27 PM

Default Lethbridge Oldman river

Just moved to lethbridge for college and wanted to ask what the river in town was like? What can i expect from fishing here? Is the river any good in town here, or do you have to search for different waters. What kind of fish, consistency of fish, and size of fish, can i hope to find on these in town waters?
Thsnk
Old 09-05-2016, 07:33 PM

Fish the local pond in the city you will likely be more productive.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
Fish the local pond in the city you will likely be more productive.
Whys thats? Just not a very productive part of the river around town? What the city pond like? Is it just like a stocked pond full of smaller fish?
Old 09-06-2016, 10:47 AM

lots of goldeye, just gotta spend some time finding the holes. fishing by the bridges can be productive. if you go for a walk by the river in the evening there are often tons of fish popping. if you're looking to fish trout you will have to head west. best of luck
Old 09-06-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270WINCHESTER View Post
Whys thats? Just not a very productive part of the river around town? What the city pond like? Is it just like a stocked pond full of smaller fish?
Well, I suggest the opposite. Nicholas Sheran is stocked yearly with brookies, and there are pike and dink perch in the lake. It is shallow and weedy, on the west side of town, so if you're going to the College then I assume you're living in the south. Henderson Lake is on the south side, it may produce a few pike for you but that's about it. Used to catch perch there too but not sure about that anymore.

I like to get away from town to fish but I do go down quite often after work on weekdays. The river in town can be very productive. Chuck bugs or use bait, both can produce. If you go down in the evenings, in some areas the goldeye are rising constantly when there's a good hatch. Then there's pike, walleye, burbot, goldeye, mooneye, suckers, and the odd sturgeon. There are browns in the river but have never caught one in town. In my experience, they can be caught as close as Monarch, maybe closer but I haven't tried yet.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacman View Post
Well, I suggest the opposite. Nicholas Sheran is stocked yearly with brookies, and there are pike and dink perch in the lake. It is shallow and weedy, on the west side of town, so if you're going to the College then I assume you're living in the south. Henderson Lake is on the south side, it may produce a few pike for you but that's about it. Used to catch perch there too but not sure about that anymore.

I like to get away from town to fish but I do go down quite often after work on weekdays. The river in town can be very productive. Chuck bugs or use bait, both can produce. If you go down in the evenings, in some areas the goldeye are rising constantly when there's a good hatch. Then there's pike, walleye, burbot, goldeye, mooneye, suckers, and the odd sturgeon. There are browns in the river but have never caught one in town. In my experience, they can be caught as close as Monarch, maybe closer but I haven't tried yet.

A lota in the daytime? I'd like to catch on a fly rod in omr.
270 there is a some good suprizes in the river, get down and fish it!
Old 09-07-2016, 03:07 PM

I was in the same boat a decade ago, I concluded my time was better spent exploring the waters deeper south and west. Castle, Carbondale, Crowsnest, St Mary's etc. Not sure where you're coming from and if you're ever in southern AB often but I'm very happy to have seen and explored the area.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:44 AM

There are Browns and the odd rainbow upstream of the weir in Lethbridge. Not a lot but they are there you gotta work to find them.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:53 AM
Banned

Btw the only fish I've caught on the river in town is goldeye and walleye on the old fly rod, I'm sure by the weir judging by all the pelicans got to be good fishing.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:57 AM

How far up river do you have to go from lethbridge to start finding better fishing? Like is the oldman around fort Macleod any better than around lethrbidge, or do you have to go a ways farther yet? When i say good i dont mean like headwaters good, just a decent chance at catching some trout. I feel awkward asking questions like these, as the best answer obviously is to just explore and find spot for your self. Its just that im new to lethrbidge, just started college here. And dont have much time to get out fishing. So i dont really know where anything is yet. Since i have such little time to make it out i hate wasting days in spots that never produce fish.

If you would like to pm me instead that would be awesome. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 09-25-2016, 09:28 PM

If you want to ensure trout with be around in numbers go upstream of the reserve.