Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-08-2018, 09:58 PM

Default Fish cameras!

Figuring on buying a camera for hard water this year. Something to keep my 4 year old interested. What is the best option?

Cheers
Old 10-09-2018, 07:25 AM

I have a Marcum 485C, paired with a AquaVu MoPod that has been good to me. The only downside of the Marcum is the carrying case is not the most stellar. It seems a bit tight and the Velcro doesn't hold really well when its cold and stiff. The upside is the video quality is good down to around 27' (I haven't tested it deeper than that) and the battery life seems good too.

If you are getting a camera you will want a panner of some kind. It helps hold the camera steady and in the direction you are wanting to look. Plus its pretty cool to spin it around and see all around your location.

I had a cheap Cabelas Advanced Angler unit for a couple years but it packed it in. A buddy has an AquaVu 715 but I haven't seen it in action so I cannot comment on how the image quality compares.

SS

ETA: The little AquaVu cameras look pretty neat for adults that hole hop and want to minimize bulky gear, but my kids had a tendency to drop stuff down holes when they were younger so I shied away from anything small enough to fit down an 8" hole. The same for the cameras that linked to your phone or tablet. Cold fish slime covered hands and small electronics seemed like a recipe for trouble.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors

Last edited by SamSteele; 10-09-2018 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:13 AM

I have a few Marcums - the high end on 825?? IIRC and the 485c - both are spectacular images compared (side by side) with the high end Aqua View a fishing partner has.

The high end Marcum is better in deeper water, in low light and is definitely a little sharper (you can really see details in the scales of the fish).

For those longer days on the water - buy a spare battery ($30-$35 at Battery World) and you are set.

And yes, I agree, the Velcro and case sucks - a struggle to wind up the camera and wire after a long day out on the ice and unless you wind it perfectly - it isn't going to fit back into the tray/box ...... kind of a minor annoyance.

I just have each camera, and panner, a spare battery, in a milk crate and that's how they get transported. After they get set up the camera sits on top of the milk crate keeping the battery off the cold ice and at a better viewing angle.

I use a pine wooden plank 12"x12"x3/4" with a "keyhole" cut into it to rest the panner over and above the hole as well - keeps the panner out of the melting water, and keeps the hole from freezing over too quickly. Tried hard foam which was awesome for keeping the ice from freezing but it sucks in the wind (ask me how I learned this one ... lol).
Old 10-09-2018, 09:43 AM

I have the AquaVu 715C - I like it fine, except that it doesn't really show well in low light conditions, first it switches to B&W and then it just becomes hard to make anything out at all. But if there's not a lot of snow cover and the sun is shining, I get sweet visibility with great detail. I think if I had to do it all over again I'd probably shop a marcum unit or something else.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:26 AM

I have the Marcum 385c and it works well up to about 25 feet or so depending on sunlight and snow cover. Have the Marcum planner as well. As mentioned before can be tough to get everything back into the case at the end of the day.

Have heard great reviews of the ones found on Amazon for considerably less money. Was a discussion about them this past winter. Longtime member here, muzzy, has one. May want to pm him.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:59 AM

I bought an Eyoyo off Amazon for $160, used it about 20 days and am happy with it so far. Decent battery life and good picture. If you search for "eyoyo" there is a thread where I posted a few screen shots
Old 10-09-2018, 01:29 PM

I also run the Marcum 485C, paired with a AquaVu MoPod works great no issues so far after 3 seasons.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:51 PM

Thanks for the replies! Really considering the marcum but might take a gamble on the amazon job. Hmmm
Old 10-10-2018, 05:19 AM

Default Marcum

I would just bite the bullet. Get the marcum and avoid trading up later on.
You will be happy with there product.
I love mine .
Excellent camera
Old 10-10-2018, 11:33 AM

As John in Ab mentioned I bought a Boblov off Amazon last year. $152 delivered. 7 inch color screen color down to 25 ft crystal clear and still good clarity when I used in in 45 ft although you lose color. 100 ft cable. Comes with nice metal carrying case and battery life was excellent. The Eyoyo someone mentioned above from amazon looks identical in pics to my Boblov. I fired mine up the other day to show my dad who was visiting and still working great. The price is right and so far quality is holding up. I paired it up with an Aqua-Vu pod for rotation of camera.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy View Post
As John in Ab mentioned I bought a Boblov off Amazon last year. $152 delivered. 7 inch color screen color down to 25 ft crystal clear and still good clarity when I used in in 45 ft although you lose color. 100 ft cable. Comes with nice metal carrying case and battery life was excellent. The Eyoyo someone mentioned above from amazon looks identical in pics to my Boblov. I fired mine up the other day to show my dad who was visiting and still working great. The price is right and so far quality is holding up. I paired it up with an Aqua-Vu pod for rotation of camera.
Thanks!
Old 10-12-2018, 12:26 PM

Another vote for the Amazon eyoyo. Used all last season with no issues
Old 10-12-2018, 06:31 PM

I had a Marcum 485C. It was a good unit. Being used now by our resident perch whisperer aka Super Mario
Old 01-05-2019, 06:35 AM

Ended up going with a Eyoyo off of amazon same as the one Muzzy suggested. $175 to the door. Nice little case and seems pretty good. I've yet to wet test it though.

Appreciate the help.

Tight lines.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:42 PM

I’ve been on this issue for a couple years now. I have an older Marcum and Aqua-vu, both B&W and fine in the right conditions.

I’ve looked at the China package types, lots on AliExpress BTW, all the same design.

Now I know a bit about cameras and what’s interesting is that even the $1000 Marcums use $15 cameras. Sony Super HAD II for example. Now there are different resolutions but you can buy them all on their own for $15ish.

For good visibility I’m certain they’ll work just like a Marcum, etc. what I’m interested in, is if those high end cameras use software tweaked for low-light underwater.

I can make a water proof housing for the camera, buy a 5-10 inch portable 12 v TV for $100ish, and I use EPS batteries, which are the same ones cameras and flashers use, just bought and sold in bulk and you can buy them cheaper as EPS (emergency Power Supply) used for computers.

I know the China package cameras use CMOS cameras but don’t usually list what specific ones. The cameras are being used by drones a lot now (FPV).

I got a mini DVR off AliExpress for $40 that’s 12v and is around 4 inches by 4 inches. Connects to the video output of either camera.

Long story short, I plan on putting together a system with a Super HAD II CCD, LEDs, IR lights (not sure IR works well underwater at that power level, as I’ve read it doesn’t yet brand name cameras have IR), DVR, and probably a 9-10 inch display.

Should cost around $200, or less if I can use some parts I already have. At very least I will record video that I can later improve with software, if I can’t manage to process it live. Since it’s the same camera as a $1000 Marcum, it has to capture the same video.

I’m fairly skeptical the brand name units use processing software, since in all honesty there’s not a lot you can improve, after the camera. I’ll try to find if there is a better camera choice since I can afford the upgrade, although if there was such a camera that isn’t $500 or so, I’m sure Marcum and Aqua-Vu would release a $2500 camera since people would probably buy it.

I’m even considering using a DSLR camera, since the water proof housings already exist.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayDoh View Post
I’ve been on this issue for a couple years now. I have an older Marcum and Aqua-vu, both B&W and fine in the right conditions.

I’ve looked at the China package types, lots on AliExpress BTW, all the same design.

Now I know a bit about cameras and what’s interesting is that even the $1000 Marcums use $15 cameras. Sony Super HAD II for example. Now there are different resolutions but you can buy them all on their own for $15ish.

For good visibility I’m certain they’ll work just like a Marcum, etc. what I’m interested in, is if those high end cameras use software tweaked for low-light underwater.

I can make a water proof housing for the camera, buy a 5-10 inch portable 12 v TV for $100ish, and I use EPS batteries, which are the same ones cameras and flashers use, just bought and sold in bulk and you can buy them cheaper as EPS (emergency Power Supply) used for computers.

I know the China package cameras use CMOS cameras but don’t usually list what specific ones. The cameras are being used by drones a lot now (FPV).

I got a mini DVR off AliExpress for $40 that’s 12v and is around 4 inches by 4 inches. Connects to the video output of either camera.

Long story short, I plan on putting together a system with a Super HAD II CCD, LEDs, IR lights (not sure IR works well underwater at that power level, as I’ve read it doesn’t yet brand name cameras have IR), DVR, and probably a 9-10 inch display.

Should cost around $200, or less if I can use some parts I already have. At very least I will record video that I can later improve with software, if I can’t manage to process it live. Since it’s the same camera as a $1000 Marcum, it has to capture the same video.

I’m fairly skeptical the brand name units use processing software, since in all honesty there’s not a lot you can improve, after the camera. I’ll try to find if there is a better camera choice since I can afford the upgrade, although if there was such a camera that isn’t $500 or so, I’m sure Marcum and Aqua-Vu would release a $2500 camera since people would probably buy it.

I’m even considering using a DSLR camera, since the water proof housings already exist.
Would you happen to know which camera hook up will work for my marcum lx9. I've had to replace my camera under warranty before. But since the warranty is gone I rather not buy a 15 dollar camera for the insane cost they charge

Sent from my BBF100-6 using Tapatalk

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 01-06-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayDoh View Post

Play

Any chance you would be willing to share some links to the cams you have found? Also have you ever seen a DVR that has a HDMI output. I have been thinking that a guy could put together a system to run off a small TV similar to the Aqua view that just comes with an HDMI our and no monitor.

Thanks
Hilgy
Old 01-06-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi_man View Post
Would you happen to know which camera hook up will work for my marcum lx9. I've had to replace my camera under warranty before. But since the warranty is gone I rather not buy a 15 dollar camera for the insane cost they charge

I’ll look into it. Keep in mind the $15 cameras don’t have a waterproof housing or cable. Since I’d imagine your cable is good you could reuse it. And even a big glob of epoxy with a piece over the lens would get the job done.
I’ve actually found a very good low light camera last night. It’s $100, and is designed for drone night flight.
Low light is defined mainly by the LUX. Most CMOS and CCD cameras have a 0.1 or 0.01 at best. This one is 0.00001.
It’s a RunCam night eagle pro 2
https://m.banggood.com/RunCam-Night-...728901201408U4
Old 01-06-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilgy View Post
Play

Any chance you would be willing to share some links to the cams you have found? Also have you ever seen a DVR that has a HDMI output. I have been thinking that a guy could put together a system to run off a small TV similar to the Aqua view that just comes with an HDMI our and no monitor.

Thanks

Hilgy

AliExpress has hundreds. I’m not sure if shipping to Canada is back to normal yet. It wasn’t a few days ago, and the only shipping options were like DHL for $30 or so. I always use ePacket shipping which takes a week or 2 and is usually $5.
What ever you do don’t choose the free shipping. Canada Post takes 3 months to ship parcels from China if they don’t get paid for it at all.
Things to consider about DVR. The one I got records to micro SD card. It has 2 inputs and 2 card slots, 32 gb max each, and can record for probably a week straight.
With SD card you can put it on a computer then either HDMI to a TV from PC, or put the files on a USB drive and plug that into the TV. I do either, but not sure if that’s an option for you. You could even use a SD-USB adapter that some SD cards come with even, and just plug that into the TV.
They have HDMI output and or input small DVR’s for around $50 or less without a housing.
I’m not sure what camera you have but unless it is true HD, an HDMI connection isn’t going to do anything an RCA component connection will. Plus there’s no audio.
If you want help choosing or figuring things out, feel free to ask.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:39 PM

I got the marcum 485c. Love it.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I got the marcum 485c. Love it.

Works great for me as well, purchased the panner as well, it’s a must.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2019, 04:38 PM

So how deep do you guys use your cameras? I've got the AV 715c, and we're thinking about using. It at Kanasakis during an upcoming Bully trip, but the cable only goes 50' and we'll be targeting around 70'. Curious if there's a longer cable I can get or if it's even worth it because maybe it's too dark at those depths...
Old 01-06-2019, 06:01 PM

You are out of luck my friend. Better get a sonar of some type. Saying that on the right day many of the K lakes you can see at those depths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
So how deep do you guys use your cameras? I've got the AV 715c, and we're thinking about using. It at Kanasakis during an upcoming Bully trip, but the cable only goes 50' and we'll be targeting around 70'. Curious if there's a longer cable I can get or if it's even worth it because maybe it's too dark at those depths...
Old 01-06-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
You are out of luck my friend. Better get a sonar of some type. Saying that on the right day many of the K lakes you can see at those depths.
Thanks for the info... Appreciate it. Looking forward to trying anyhow!
Old 01-06-2019, 06:20 PM

Done Spray several times and you would be surprised how far down you can see with a camera or look down the hole to see your bait. The short cable is the challenge. I don't fish often at that depth so rely on others that have longer cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
Thanks for the info... Appreciate it. Looking forward to trying anyhow!
Old 01-06-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi_man View Post

LX-9 uses the Sony Super HAD II CCD. I couldn’t find details to the lens, or the viewing angle. I found a Camera on EBay with a 120° view angle and 700 TVL (resolution effectively)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-700TVL...sAAOSwkNpaUx7F

You can certainly find one cheaper, but I’m not sure how much cheaper.

Dealextreme has the same camera with a narrower lens and likely the same housing for $15, and $2.50 shipping. I’ve bought from DX and it’s legit.

https://www.dx.com/p/fpv-700tvl-1-3-...5#.XDKzU6RlCEc
Old 01-06-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Done Spray several times and you would be surprised how far down you can see with a camera or look down the hole to see your bait. The short cable is the challenge. I don't fish often at that depth so rely on others that have longer cable.
Do you know if it's possible to buy a longer cable online somewhere?
Old 01-06-2019, 08:31 PM

Bass pro has the marcum 825 on sale for 500$. Lower than the 485. Clearing out for the new models. I have one and bought another one just as a back up for that price
Old 01-06-2019, 09:02 PM

Good move. For Marcums you should always have a backup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old dog View Post
Bass pro has the marcum 825 on sale for 500$. Lower than the 485. Clearing out for the new models. I have one and bought another one just as a back up for that price
Old 01-07-2019, 11:13 AM

I got my Marcum used and the guy had 2 cameras with it. He said the original one would fog up so they sent him a replacement.
After sitting around for however long the moisture evaporated and picture was fine when I got it.
So what I did to both cameras, and would do to any camera now is I put some 3M 5200 (marine adhesive) at the end of the cable, since I’m guessing that’s where the leak came from.
After the 5200 cured, I taped over the lens and sprayed the whole thing with Leak-seal, same as the Flex-Seal. Put 2 coats on, and add another at the end of the season. The camera doesn’t leak / fog anymore so it seems to have worked.
Cheap insurance even if it’s not leaking.