Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-24-2019, 09:49 AM

Default What could ALBERTA do with so much money for conservation

http://exclusive.multibriefs.com/con...eation-leisure
Old 04-24-2019, 10:58 AM

Thanks for putting that article up. It is a good read.

The first step to follow would be the concept of "fenced funds" preventing politicians from putting the money in general revenue and using it for other things. Habitat is hugely important as is public access. I am not sure which one of those two are the most threatened in the future as both are in jeopardy.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:30 AM

Access opportunities from Red Deer south to the border are key.

You can see the battles over access every year over something which is already public, being grazing leases. This will only get worse.

Large blocks of land have to be bought up to allow future access in this core area. This is the area that is seeing the greatest pressure for access, which is quickly becoming a private club.

Farm acreages keep getting larger, and more efficient, meaning no habitat. This trend will continue. As such, before the last slough is drained, and the last ravine is turned into pasture, it has to be bought up to give wildlife a chance.

Nothing more needs to be said.

Drewski
Old 04-24-2019, 11:49 AM

If we implemented these ideas we would have millions every year to BUY land and keep it for conservation forever. That’s huge. Imagine if this would have started 25 years ago, we could have areas up and down this province for everyone to access. Berry and mushroom picking, hiking, fishing, hunting...
Old 04-24-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
If we implemented these ideas we would have millions every year to BUY land and keep it for conservation forever. That’s huge. Imagine if this would have started 25 years ago, we could have areas up and down this province for everyone to access. Berry and mushroom picking, hiking, fishing, hunting...
Agreed. But over the past many years the provincial powers that be, had and still do have little regard for hunting, fishing, and recreation in Alberta. It has always been the portfolio to take from, and to underfund.

BW
Old 04-24-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Agreed. But over the past many years the provincial powers that be, had and still do have little regard for hunting, fishing, and recreation in Alberta. It has always been the portfolio to take from, and to underfund.

BW
Agreed, we shouldn’t be waiting for the government to set aside areas for us. We need to pay for them ourselves. Once bought that land is ours forever
Old 04-24-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Agreed, we shouldn’t be waiting for the government to set aside areas for us. We need to pay for them ourselves. Once bought that land is ours forever
I fully agree and support that idea, however if the government doesn't believe in conservation or providing effective enforcement of what we already have, we haven't got a snowballs chance in hell of ever getting what is needed.

They only see a benefit in projects like the Castle or Bighorn or selling to companies that will reap the resources and take the land away from recreational use.

It would be nice to see JK, take a stand on Conservation, but I think he would see that as an expense and as he has said we are broke.

BW
Old 04-24-2019, 12:23 PM
Banned

Oh boy here come the attacks on grazing leases.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:22 PM

Old 04-24-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Not sure how much support you would get here in Alberta for a new tax.

"Better known as the Pittman-Robertson and Dingell-Johnson Acts, respectively, those programs fund fish and wildlife conservation efforts through excise taxes placed on firearms, ammunition, archery equipment, fishing tackle, and boating equipment."
Old 04-24-2019, 05:49 PM

Meanwhile, in British Columbia :

The Freshwater Fisheries Society and HCTF receive 100% of angling licence revenue. This licence revenue is comprised of a fee portion which is transferred to the Freshwater Fisheries Society and a conservation surcharge portion administered by HCTF.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
Not sure how much support you would get here in Alberta for a new tax.

"Better known as the Pittman-Robertson and Dingell-Johnson Acts, respectively, those programs fund fish and wildlife conservation efforts through excise taxes placed on firearms, ammunition, archery equipment, fishing tackle, and boating equipment."
It's a shame this wasn't put in long ago. Money talks. The government will put more into habitat & increasing opportunities if there is revenue to be made. It would kind of change the conversation when it came to access to public lands, wolf populations, etc. Why do you think the former government was looking to put in revenue generation not linked to hunting?

Best thing for US hunters with their tax on ammunition is that the hunters buy some ammunition...but the guys at the range by buckets of it.

But I'd go a step further & do what Washington State is trying to do with taxing other outdoor recreational equipment:

http://nwsportsmanmag.com/tax-on-hig...fe-management/
Old 04-25-2019, 08:14 AM

We already pay through our licenses and quad registration fees, also through camping fees.

I'm all in favor of user fees. But I am against blanket taxation. In a perfect world the funds collected for x would be put back into x - I drive, so fuel taxes used for infrastructure improvements make sense.

How about the idea that everyone not just hunters and anglers requires a WIN card and it comes with a, say, $10 annual renewal fee. Everyone contributes equally. And if you abuse our crown land, your WIN card is suspended

My $0.02

Colin
Old 04-25-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colroggal View Post
We already pay through our licenses and quad registration fees, also through camping fees.

I'm all in favor of user fees. But I am against blanket taxation. In a perfect world the funds collected for x would be put back into x - I drive, so fuel taxes used for infrastructure improvements make sense.

How about the idea that everyone not just hunters and anglers requires a WIN card and it comes with a, say, $10 annual renewal fee. Everyone contributes equally. And if you abuse our crown land, your WIN card is suspended

My $0.02

Colin
How could you ask a non outdoorsman to buy a win card? What would it be used for? However a tax on outdoors gear is only paid by folks who use the outdoors.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:44 AM

I predict private parks open to the public with "conservation" in mind would quickly become garbage dumps if what I've witnessed in the past is any indication. Who wants to get sued because little Johnny rolled his quad on your 'open to the public' land? Ideas are nice in theory though.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfBreed View Post
I predict private parks open to the public with "conservation" in mind would quickly become garbage dumps if what I've witnessed in the past is any indication. Who wants to get sued because little Johnny rolled his quad on your 'open to the public' land? Ideas are nice in theory though.
Are these areas in the states public garbage dumps?