Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-01-2019, 10:50 PM

I have a Kifaru. I like it. It carries a bunch of stuff that weighs a lot. Seems like Stone Glacier, Exo, Mystery Ranch, Seek Outside, and other all do the same. I think the biggest thing at the end of the day is how it personally fits your back, as well as bag layouts and features. I don't think any are objectively better or worse than others.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post
A lot of fighting lately. I need a new pack, I brought a sheep out this year with a tiny asz Eberlestock that had no frame. Ended up with bags hanging off my neck to get that guy down.

So what packs are we saying are awesome?

Mystery Ranch ?? What one?
EXO???? WHat is that?

I want to carry 150lbs of awesomess, weight I don't care. Just strong. I want my body to bet the weak point.

Kifaru AMR is what a sheep guy told me. That a good choice?

I’ve got a kifaru hunter frame you can try on. Are you in red deer or do you hunt red deer? I’m at home in red deer for another two days then off to work for a month. If you want to come try out a kifaru send me a pm.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:06 AM

Default Kuiu

Not much talk about Kuiu packs on here. Anyone have any experience with their pack systems? Looks like they have some good ideas but like said before they all have good and not so good features depending on what a guy wants.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:45 PM

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by katts69 View Post
DLP, I am assuming you are maxed with your 7-9 days of gear with the cubic inches you are running? Where do you put the meat?
You are correct, that is the fully loaded pack. The food is stored in the dry bag resting on the meat shelf and sandwiched between the pack and frame. This is really the most awesome feature about the SG frame is that meat shelf is attached to the frame only.

So, basically the meat goes where the food goes in a separate dry game bag and the food is either cached to be retrieved later or my preference is to eat everything! For all who have been on day 4 or 5, it's not difficult to imagine eating everything you have packed in and looking forward to it!
Old 03-02-2019, 12:58 PM

Ok. I figured you were leaving stuff to haul the meat. I am running a kifaru fulcrum so it all goes in one trip. Quite a bit more capacity. Take care, rob
Old 03-02-2019, 01:04 PM

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by katts69 View Post
Ok. I figured you were leaving stuff to haul the meat. I am running a kifaru fulcrum so it all goes in one trip. Quite a bit more capacity. Take care, rob
Sexy pack!
Old 03-02-2019, 01:49 PM

Haha. Thanks.
Old 03-02-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
A lot of fighting lately. I need a new pack, I brought a sheep out this year with a tiny asz Eberlestock that had no frame. Ended up with bags hanging off my neck to get that guy down.

So what packs are we saying are awesome?

Mystery Ranch ?? What one?
EXO???? WHat is that?

I want to carry 150lbs of awesomess, weight I don't care. Just strong. I want my body to bet the weak point.

I went from an old osprey to a Kifaru duplex light frame and it is night and day. Kifaru has great customer service so that is the main reason I choose them. Aron gives out his phone number to everyone and anyone to call whenever they have an issue and he always answers even on his own time. I even had the opportunity to go see him when he was hunting here in Alberta so he could fit me with my pack.

The shoulder straps and waste belt on the Kifaru are very comfortable and the adjustment of everything is great. I run a water bottle pocket and bear spray on one side of the belt and a small belt pouch on the other side (gps, steripen, etc. in it). They also have a ton of different options for bags, with the fulcrum being what I am likely going to buy as my go to bag. I highly recommend them.
Old 03-02-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks.snow View Post
I went from an old osprey to a Kifaru duplex light frame and it is night and day. Kifaru has great customer service so that is the main reason I choose them. Aron gives out his phone number to everyone and anyone to call whenever they have an issue and he always answers even on his own time. I even had the opportunity to go see him when he was hunting here in Alberta so he could fit me with my pack.

The shoulder straps and waste belt on the Kifaru are very comfortable and the adjustment of everything is great. I run a water bottle pocket and bear spray on one side of the belt and a small belt pouch on the other side (gps, steripen, etc. in it). They also have a ton of different options for bags, with the fulcrum being what I am likely going to buy as my go to bag. I highly recommend them.

IMG_7364.jpg

This is the duplex light frame with a dry bag as my main bag and a guide lid. I used a compression strap and the grab-it to attach the bag to the frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2019, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
I’ve got a kifaru hunter frame you can try on. Are you in red deer or do you hunt red deer? I’m at home in red deer for another two days then off to work for a month. If you want to come try out a kifaru send me a pm.
Live in Red Deer, very nice of you, lets hook up when u get back. I am away working too.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:

I bought a kifaru AMR last year and used it for my first sheep hunt. I found it comfortable and could fit alot of stuff in the bag! Definitely think I'll be running it for alot of years to come!

If you're anal about organization it might not be for you; but a side pocket(s) or a guide lid would probably make it easier for quick access to a few items.

Entire pack and frame weighs 6lbs 9oz with standard lid and nalgene pocket.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:13 AM

Default Robert Redford

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw17 View Post
I'm looking at the kuiu and the exo mountain. Any feedback or other suggestions would be appreciated. Probably going to go with around the 3500 size.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
(" it beats carrying everything in your Arms" Robert Redford,) from "A walk in the woods."
Old 03-03-2019, 09:22 AM
Banned

I love my kuiu 3200 it fits perfectly and super light for day hunting haven’t hauled game yet. Also loved the mystery ranch pop up the meat shelf was great. My sheep pack is elberslee and it’s great pack as well