Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-22-2017, 08:38 PM

Default Antlerless Elk - WMU 522

Hello all,

Just looking for a little assistance. Any info would be appreciated.
Anyone hunted in 522 recently that could help out a
couple of first time elk hunters?

If you are going to roast me on a spit for trying to get tips, all I ask is you make it funny. At the very least I could use a good laugh.

My father and I have 2 days left to hunt and have not had any luck whatsoever.
We are seeing some pretty old sign on some leased land we have permission to hunt on, but haven’t seen anything remotely promising.

We’ve been hiking the fields and bush. We’ve been driving the grazing reserve and oil and gas roads. Nothing.

Next plan is to start driving rr and twp roads looking for animals and then requesting permission if we happen to come across anything.
We are kind of scratching our heads right now wondering what we aren’t seeing anything that might lead us to even the possibility of seeing elk.

Like I said, any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:41 PM

...just cause you asked for it

Maybe stick to buying your meat at the grocery store...with a name like "Munchymoo" you are destined to a life of eating beef

LC
Old 11-22-2017, 08:54 PM

3 year old daughters nickname (my wife comes up with them).
Figured it was easy to remember since I hear it 30 times a day.
She calls our son buddy bud bud bud. Munchymoo is quicker to type.
Beef it is I guess. Except for the minimal amount of grouse in the freezer.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:17 PM

with all the snow we've had id say the majority of elk will be down by the agricultural fields. one of my favorite methods for a new area is walk along the edges of fields that border crown/AG land you should be able to find a good set of fresh tracks headed up into the bush get on that and be prepared to walk a few miles but if the elk haven't been pressured to much they wont go farther than they have too. I've found this late in the season most elk calls wont work except a lost calf call you might be able to get some of the younger calves traveling with the herd to respond to you. make sure to always keep the wind in your face that is the #1 rule if you can do that you'll have a decent chance of finding some elk. you can also go and search old elk hunting threads on this forum for some other tips. good luck
Old 11-22-2017, 09:24 PM

Thank you. Some of the best sign we did find was on the edge of a grazing reserve that bordered private ag land. We figured it was a couple of days old now and was mostly one way traffic.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchymoo View Post
3 year old daughters nickname (my wife comes up with them).
Figured it was easy to remember since I hear it 30 times a day.
She calls our son buddy bud bud bud. Munchymoo is quicker to type.
Beef it is I guess. Except for the minimal amount of grouse in the freezer.
All good man

I hope someone can point you in the right direction to fill a freezer.

LC
Old 11-23-2017, 09:31 AM

Have you tried the road North of Tangent towards the ferry it usually doesn't get a pile of pressure since the road is kind of a dead end.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:50 AM

We have been focusing on the west end of the WMU mostly.
Tried getting permission after seeing a cow elk across the ravine (smoky river) this morning. No luck there.
According to the landowner “Too many a!&@holes given permission in the past who didn’t follow the rules”.
Checking out some area near wanham this afternoon evening.

We will see.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:58 AM

Clarification. The cow was on crown land on a south facing slope.
We would have needed private landowner permission to get to it.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:07 PM

Call the Hutterites! I believe it's the eaglesham colony. They'll more than likely set you up due to bale loss from elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-23-2017, 12:23 PM
Gone Hunting

Not to pee in your post toasties, but elk are tough to hunt. Active early and late in the day. Not sure why you put in for that area, but some areas have small herds and their locations are usually well guarded secrets because of the locals are in competition with city guys who only show up for a few days each year to kill elk.
I would start with F/w to see if anyone has crop/hay damage complaints in the late winter. Talk to those landowners. Even if the elk are not there now they may know where to try. at least it is an opportunity to introduce yourself to the locals.

And the guy who told you nope may change his mind. Always thank them whether or not they gave you permission and the next time you pass through say high bring donuts and ask how hunting season went. Sometimes it takes a few years to develop an understanding.

Not sure why guys put in for an area they do not know and have no plans to scout. If you could just buy a tag and drive the lease or backroads for two days and kill an elk, it would get kind of crowded. If you want to hunt elk in 522 then find out what you can in the off season or deer season and establish a rapport with the locals. It's not Sobey's, and I'm not trying to give you a hard time. Your results will depend on your efforts. Driving around mostly never works. If you saw a cow, then you found the elk. Figure out how to get into that area. They won't be in just that 10 acres.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-23-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astepanuk View Post
Have you tried the road North of Tangent towards the ferry it usually doesn't get a pile of pressure since the road is kind of a dead end.
I have been there a few times over the past month or so. There is always someone there putting miles on the wheels doing circles looking for moose and always ask if I saw any. Having said that, there is good bush to walk through. All elk I have seen lately were deep in it and most were by themselves, for whatever reason. There are some that go out to feed on posted land "up on top", but even those are hard to catch in daylight, from what I figure. By no means it is an easy hunt in that bush. Packing the guy/gal out is a pain. Note, I haven't been targeting elk, but hoping to find a half decent whitetail and just love the area to hike at. Driving around most likely will not work, but good luck.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:14 PM

I've had good luck getting between there feeding area and bedding area pretty those east fields have roads between the fields and crown just need to locate the travel routes.

Old 11-23-2017, 01:23 PM

That'll work too. The very first field is what I meant by the "posted land up on top". There is quite a bit of traffic there as well.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:18 PM
Banned

Late season cows in 522 are simple if you follow this simple formula:

Line up permission on 1/2 a dozen (minimum, more the better) hay fields with Elk tracks on / around them. It’s easy permission to get.

Wait for -20 or colder (colder the better)

Get out there at first light and hit every hay field. They’ll be on one of them.

In the meantime phone the local F&W branch. They have a list of landowners having trouble with Elk.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Not to pee in your post toasties, but elk are tough to hunt. Active early and late in the day. Not sure why you put in for that area, but some areas have small herds and their locations are usually well guarded secrets because of the locals are in competition with city guys who only show up for a few days each year to kill elk.
I would start with F/w to see if anyone has crop/hay damage complaints in the late winter. Talk to those landowners. Even if the elk are not there now they may know where to try. at least it is an opportunity to introduce yourself to the locals.

And the guy who told you nope may change his mind. Always thank them whether or not they gave you permission and the next time you pass through say high bring donuts and ask how hunting season went. Sometimes it takes a few years to develop an understanding.

Not sure why guys put in for an area they do not know and have no plans to scout. If you could just buy a tag and drive the lease or backroads for two days and kill an elk, it would get kind of crowded. If you want to hunt elk in 522 then find out what you can in the off season or deer season and establish a rapport with the locals. It's not Sobey's, and I'm not trying to give you a hard time. Your results will depend on your efforts. Driving around mostly never works. If you saw a cow, then you found the elk. Figure out how to get into that area. They won't be in just that 10 acres.
As true as it gets ! It takes a lot more than a few days scouting to get a handle on that area. The better areas have been and are being hunted by the locals for years and competition can get fierce A few outside guys get lucky .. most get frustrated.
Old 11-23-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassett View Post
Call the Hutterites! I believe it's the eaglesham colony. They'll more than likely set you up due to bale loss from elk.

There is 4 colonies in that area! I would make an L shape loop starting s of eaglesham to River and work east then head north to ferry. There is a big lease at end up there NE corner of zone.
Then jump hi way and work west along top of zone. I wouldn't bother with west 1/2 of zone if I only had couple days.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:35 PM

Thanks for all the tips and pm’s.
Had an interesting evening. Spent some time in the bush at a cut line intersection just off of the smoky river ravine. Followed some tracks in and hunkered down.
Didn’t see any elk but had a very nice 6x6 mulie cross a ridge about 100 yards out.
Also had one of the largest cow moose cross the cut line at about 50 yards in front of me after chewing on some willows for about a half hour.
Not what we are after but it sure makes for an enjoyable evening.
Back at it tomorrow. Last day.
Thanks again to everyone replying.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:11 PM

seen 60 north of wanham on posted land
Old 11-23-2017, 09:22 PM

Willing to give a little more info?
Location and date/time maybe?
Old 11-23-2017, 09:36 PM

Not that is hunt in posted land. I’m kind of wondering if that was where I saw the cow earlier this am. That landowner had the nicest chunk of land.
It had by far the best sign moving in and out of the fields.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchymoo View Post
Not that is hunt in posted land. I’m kind of wondering if that was where I saw the cow earlier this am. That landowner had the nicest chunk of land.
It had by far the best sign moving in and out of the fields.
I have been successful asking for permission on posted land numerous times. Sometimes farmers want to know just who is on their land.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:22 PM

How did it go?
Old 11-24-2017, 09:39 PM

Almost ran over a small bull on the drive home
Passed on a 2x3 whitetail while waiting for some wolves nearby to show themselves. No luck there. Going out again in the am before packing up. Having a great time nonetheless.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:01 PM

Sounds like good time. You even got to wait for the wolves. Were they vocal and you decided to wait or did you see them?

I was out today in the afternoon in the bush I and the other fella talked about somewhere above. I have not seen anything and no fresh tracks either;

Tags
522, elk