Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-22-2018, 12:54 AM

Default Any good or bad things to say about X-Bolts?

Howdy all,

I have been looking at these Hell's Canyon rifles with the 26-inch-long barrels for a while now (since last year, really). And I noticed I look at them pretty much every time I am at the gun counter.

I have never owned or even shot an X-Bolt before, so asking for your opinions here. I really like the way this particular rifle looks, but don't want to buy one just because of it. I read plenty about these rifles on the internet and, with a few exceptions, it seems everyone has mostly good things to say about them. I own a couple of Brownings myself and they do just fine by me.

To be trendy, I am looking at 6.5CM (this not what this thread is about, lol). The reasos I am looking at Creeedmore is because: 1. it is on sale, lol; and 2. I want to see for myself what all the hype/anti-hype is about.

Another question is will I be able to recover a significant portion of my money if I decide to offload it in case I do not like it? Given the sale and the fact that Browning has a rebate thing going on now, I will be saving about $250-$350 off the ticket price. I honestly do not remember if the sale price was $1,299 or $1,199 (probably the former).

This will be a range rifle. It does not really fit the type of hunting I usually do, but I do want to do some long shooting at the range. Of course, if I end up buying it and it shoots to my expectations, I may shoot an animal with it on a field. I doubt it will ever be beyond 500 meters (with any rifle, actually) and the 500 mark is very, veeeery far stretching, even for field.

Anyway, do you have good or bad things to say about these rifles?

P.S. I do not reload, if that makes a difference.

P.P.S. The "trendy" part was a joke, obviously. I could not care less.

Last edited by Bub; 12-22-2018 at 01:02 AM.
Old 12-22-2018, 06:30 AM

Like all Browning firearms, the fit and finish is good. Like all Broewning rifles, the trigger isn't very good. As far as recovering your money when selling, rifles do not hold their value very well, so you will lose at least 25% of the normal selling price, a soon as you fire the rifle. This definitely would not be my choice for a range rifle, for a range rifle, I would look for a heavier contour barrel, that dpesn't heat up as fast, and a wider fore end for more stability on a rest. My last three range rifles have all been Tiikka Varmint models, and my current range rifle is a T-3 CTR, because they have very good triggers and every one shoots sub 1/2moa.
Old 12-22-2018, 06:52 AM
Banned

I bought a hells canyon speed and really like it. My boss has a hells canyon speed and he really likes his. I don't know how to post pics but mine seems very accurate.
You're in peace river? If you want to try mine give me a shout.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:20 AM

I have an xbolt hunter version, CM, wood stock, 22", and no big complaints. Nice light unit to carry and it's accurate enough. Brownings synthetic stocks are a step up from most, Tikkas in particular, their ring mounts are solid, but I did have to play with the trigger a bit. Very effective recoil pad apparently. Have had a few people tell me they can't tell their xbolt big mags from their mid cals.

Not a big fan of polymer mags but it hasn't been a problem so far. I do find the lop to be a little short but that's just me. I prefer to be further back of the action with scopes mounted appropriately.

Never looked seriously at the HC because I don't care for the looks of it and a muzzle break on anything under 06, 7mag seems a little silly but to each his own.

Mine will never be my go to. I don't hugely dislike or like. It'll get sold one day and the $$ + used for a gun I really do have some love for and use regularly.

Short story: very decent low mid to mid range rifle. Not a Sako or Cooper but it'll get the job done.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:40 AM

I bought the Hells Canyon in the 6.5 last year and I like it. Very accurate with factory ammo, even with the 26" pipe very nice to carry....has performed flawlessly on elk and deer.....and a wild boar. Mind you longest shot was 275 yards, so not really a test.

Ultimately no regrets. I dont buy guns thinking of a return on investment, you lose your a_s on most firearms anyway so I dont dwell on it....

If its an itch you need to scratch, I dont think you'll be disappointed.

And lastly just to be "trendy", its a 6.5 CM how can you go wrong.....lol
Old 12-22-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
I have an xbolt hunter version, CM, wood stock, 22", and no big complaints. Nice light unit to carry and it's accurate enough. Brownings synthetic stocks are a step up from most, Tikkas in particular, their ring mounts are solid, but I did have to play with the trigger a bit. Very effective recoil pad apparently. Have had a few people tell me they can't tell their xbolt big mags from their mid cals.

Not a big fan of polymer mags but it hasn't been a problem so far. I do find the lop to be a little short but that's just me. I prefer to be further back of the action with scopes mounted appropriately.

Never looked seriously at the HC because I don't care for the looks of it and a muzzle break on anything under 06, 7mag seems a little silly but to each his own.

Mine will never be my go to. I don't hugely dislike or like. It'll get sold one day and the $$ + used for a gun I really do have some love for and use regularly.

Short story: very decent low mid to mid range rifle. Not a Sako or Cooper but it'll get the job done.
You seem to have overlooked one very important statement in the OP's post

Quote:
This will be a range rifle.
Light weight is not desirable for a range rifle, and while a 3-4lb trigger might be acceptable to some people for a hunting rifle, it is a handicap for a range rifle. As far as a range rifle is concerned, the narrow ,rounded fore end on the Hells Canyon, is also a handicap. The features that make this rife suitable for a hunting rifle, make it a poor choice for a range rifle.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:56 AM

I shoot a browning x-bolt target in 6.5 cm for about 3 years,it has a 28" heavy barrel.The trigger isn't that bad right around 3 lbs.It is a great shooter to 1000 yards but to heavy for hunting.It has a wide forend on the thumbhole stock.I reload for it and use 139 gr lapua scenars.
I would say that the trigger is probably the most I dislike about it(bin thinking of changing the spring).There is not much for aftermarket stuff for brownings.I have had a few x-bolts in hunting rifles and I did like them.I think they are a fine rifle out of the box but thats all you get.
As was mentioned above the Tikka CTR or Varmit is probably a better choice,just more stuff you can do with them.
I wouldn't hesitate to look at some of the rem 700's,I have bin thinking of buying a barreled action(24" heavy barrel) and a MDT stock witch price wise is right around $1400.Lots of stuff out there for a 700.As was said above you should go with a heavy barrel if you are planning to do more range shooting.I don't think the longer barrel will help you much in the cm other than get you a little more speed.
Good luck
Old 12-22-2018, 08:02 AM

I’ve been cautioned, that if I have anything not so nice to say, that I shouldn’t do so.

And I have more negatives than positives to say about this model.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-22-2018, 08:03 AM

I like Browning. They make good guns. Always have. As has been said, the triggers are substandard compared to many similar priced offerings, and unless things have changed, about all you can do is swap out a lighter aftermarket spring. If you want a gun that you know is going to offer really good accuracy at the range get a Tikka. If you like Savage or Remington, give them a look too. In the end, get what floats your boat not someone else's. Report back with range pics.
Old 12-22-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post

Light weight is not desirable for a range rifle, and while a 3-4lb trigger might be acceptable to some people for a hunting rifle, it is a handicap for a range rifle. As far as a range rifle is concerned, the narrow ,rounded fore end on the Hells Canyon, is also a handicap. The features that make this rife suitable for a hunting rifle, make it a poor choice for a range rifle.

He also mentioned he'd never owned an "Xbolt" before, and I gave my thoughts on a standard version being that they're all cut from similar cloth, minus or plus a few tweaks.

My biggest ponder when buying was the button rifling to be honest. First one I've owned but I guess it's fairly common practice these days.

Actually came back to the post to comment on the forestock on mine. Not sure I like the fatter, rounded, deepish cut but I haven't shot it enough to determine. Maybe get it into a different stock one day. Bought it because it was a CM at a good price and I just had to see what all the fuss was about.

So far I haven't seen anything to merit wetting my pants over vs anything I own in 25-06, 270's or 7mm's.

In fact...naaaa...I won't go there.
Old 12-22-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
He also mentioned he'd never owned an "Xbolt" before, and I gave my thoughts on a standard version being that they're all cut from similar cloth, minus or plus a few tweaks.

Actually came back to the post to comment on the forestock on mine. Not sure I like the fatter, rounded, deepish cut but I haven't shot it enough to determine. Maybe get it into a different stock one day. Bought it because it was a CM at a good price and I just had to see what all the fuss was about.

So far I haven't seen anything to merit wetting my pants over vs anything I own in 25-06, 270's or 7mm's.

In fact...naaaa...I won't go there.
I ended up with a CM, by default, because I couldn't find what I originally wanted. The rifle does shoot very well though, about as accurate as my other T-3 rifles, including the 6.5x55.
Old 12-22-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
I ended up with a CM, by default, because I couldn't find what I originally wanted. The rifle does shoot very well though, about as accurate as my other T-3 rifles, including the 6.5x55.

Similar here. Deal on a 25-06 went south and it popped up at a good price close to me.

So far 143 eldx have been very good.
Old 12-22-2018, 08:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Like all Browning firearms, the fit and finish is good. Like all Broewning rifles, the trigger isn't very good. As far as recovering your money when selling, rifles do not hold their value very well, so you will lose at least 25% of the normal selling price, a soon as you fire the rifle. This definitely would not be my choice for a range rifle, for a range rifle, I would look for a heavier contour barrel, that dpesn't heat up as fast, and a wider fore end for more stability on a rest. My last three range rifles have all been Tiikka Varmint models, and my current range rifle is a T-3 CTR, because they have very good triggers and every one shoots sub 1/2moa.
Your confusing opinion with knowledge, as you regularly do. Only a few days left in the year, maybe 2019 will be better for you.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:29 AM
Banned

Old 12-22-2018, 10:53 AM

Default X bolt Varmint

I am quite happy with my varmint 22-250 Xbolt. Trigger was supposed to be adjustable 2 to 4 pounds but I got a gunsmith to hone it a bit finer. Varmint comes with a 26? inch medium heavy barrel so not heating up nearly as fast as sporting profile barrel. Quite accurate but I have a 20 X varmint extreme on it with 1/10 inch adjustment for fine tuning. Used mostly for calling and sitting I find it a bit heavy for the walking hunts.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:55 AM

Only xbolt I have ever shot was my brothers. It had a bad habit of bouncing the spent case off the scope tube and dropping it right back in the action if you tried to run the bolt slowly. If you ran it hard and fast it would still smack off the scope tube but would clear the action.
My wife shoots an A bolt, fantastic rifle, accurate no issues whatsoever
Old 12-22-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:

maybe he wants to use a hunting style rifle at the range some of my hunting rifles i shoot a lot will never go hunting with me
Old 12-22-2018, 03:48 PM

My nephew loves his X bolts and from what I’ve seen, with his hand loads they are very accurate. Personally I don’t like how heavy the triggers are but I guess this can be rectified with the MCarbo springs. The bolt has more moving parts than most but haven’t heard of any problems.
Old 12-22-2018, 05:22 PM

i have a shooting buddy that has the hells canyon in 6.5 cm and can say like everyone has stated already the trigger is horrible and the barrel a little light for a decent "range gun" if you have no problem waiting a little while for the barrel to cool and buy a new trigger spring it will work fine.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 12-22-2018, 07:16 PM

I have a X-Bolt 7mm RM, my only complaint is the trigger of course.
In 2018 faster twist rates were added to select calibers.
Old 12-22-2018, 08:12 PM

These come factory set a 3 lbs,,, super smooth and crisp for hunting.

If a person chooses to do the predator set-up or bench rest,,, that option is available with a quick adjustment.

https://timneytriggers.com/browning-x-bolt/

I was a factory trigger dude all my life, once a person switches to quality target triggers,,, there ain't no going back. Jewel trigger for my application.

I follow the 4 to 6 oz for target shooting,,, 2 to 3 lbs for hunting,,, I call it the crisp break away.

It's almost like magic when the cross hairs close in the on the sweet spot.

Ha. Getting the pumpkin and noodle to work together is challanging.
Old 12-22-2018, 08:29 PM

I have 2, neither in 6.5 CM. Having said that fit and finish is very good in both the wood and synthetic. No complaints about the triggers in either and both are MOA rifles. The magazines are solid and impossible to install wrong. Go for it!
Old 12-22-2018, 09:28 PM

Default Xbolt

I have owned 5 xbolts and all have been great rifles, everyone i have owned is extremely accurate. The triggers are fine in them , I did buy trigger springs for 25$ Each out of the states and tigger is half the weight now. Bolts are smooth , finish is nice.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:

You will lose just as much money selling a tikka as an xbolt and with almost any gun, they are both good rifles and you can’t go wrong with either choice, the xbolts do offer models with heavier barrels on them that don’t heat up as quick
Old 12-22-2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpetersen4 View Post
I have owned 5 xbolts and all have been great rifles, everyone i have owned is extremely accurate. The triggers are fine in them , I did buy trigger springs for 25$ Each out of the states and tigger is half the weight now. Bolts are smooth , finish is nice.
Thanks for the reminder, going to put my M*CARBO order in.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:08 AM

The xbolt is my go to rifle for hunting right now. Been using it for 4 years and I’m very happy with it
Old 12-23-2018, 02:42 AM

Not as good as Y - bolts !
Old 12-23-2018, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpetersen4 View Post
So if the triggers are fine from the factory, why do you change the spring? What do you consider"extremely accurrate"? moa? 1/2moa? Just as everyone has a different idea of a good trigger is, we also have different ideas as to accuracy. .
Old 12-23-2018, 08:17 AM

Default Xbolt

Everyone has been 1/2 Moa with the right ammo but so has any tikka ive owned, I personally like light triggers that’s why I put the trigger springs in or upgrade them in my rifles
Old 12-23-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf308 View Post
Not as good as Y - bolts !

Now we're splitting chromosomes.