Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-07-2013, 07:39 PM

Default Setting up sights

As I am 100% new to bow hunting do you folks have any tips or recommendations on how to set up my first bow with a new sight.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mason
Old 02-07-2013, 08:11 PM

when sighting in move your sight towards the point of impact, hope that makes sense
Old 02-07-2013, 09:09 PM

Yep, the pin follows the arrow to sight it in. Your choice of yardages of the various pins is totally up to you. Have fun!
Old 02-08-2013, 10:08 AM

Default Sighting in

As the others have said move towards point of impact or as they say "chase your pins" Don't start moving them one at a time but move the whole front sight so that the top pin is on at 20 yards. You will find that the others will then be pretty close at 30 and 40 and so on. You can then make some minor adjustments on them if needed. Cheers Roscoe
Old 02-11-2013, 11:37 AM

Roscoe mentioned "chase your pins"... I remember it as "chase your arrow"... Move your pins onto the spot the arrows are hitting.... If your arrows hit low, move your pins lower. If the arrows hit right of bullseye, move your pins right....

Keep in mind that you need everything else consistent; nice relaxed bow hand, draw hand in the same position each time, bow arm flexed and in the same position each time. Until you do these things, you *could* be chasing arrows all over the place. Create that anchor/bow form first, then chase your arrows/pins.....

J.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:19 PM

Thats a vast question... if bow is mounted and we are talking abouit pins as above than as mentioned above follow your arrow ..move pins to arrow impact to center in the gold...EX if arrow is impacting high / right
..move complete sight ring right horizontially and sight bar up ...

I always say "Follow the rainbow to the gold"..meaning follow arrow to move to center of gold on target.

Now if your asking how to set a sight up out of the package ...that all depends on the sight...if it has 1st , second and or third axis...if it has options on mounting bracket etc...

if your sight allows it...moving it out away further makes the pins clearer or easier to focus in your Peripheral vision...however too far from riser on bow and its harder to fit in hunting bow cases and becomes an obsticle in thick bush...

if you have a level and want to use it on bow it has to be leveled to bow...at full draw at best...

if you have a 3rd axis sight...here's where it gets technical again...

Leveling your 3rd axis keeps your bow in perfect vertical alignment, giving you pinpoint accuracy when shooting on all different terrain. Leveling your sight in a vise or on a 3rd axis leveling jig might get you pie plate accuracy, but for true pinpoint accuracy the leveling has to be done at full draw. Leveling at full draw takes into account the torque of the bow, which is important. We have taken a sight that has been 3rd axis leveled using a vice or jig, put it on the bow and with our shooting machine the Hooter Shooter can show 2 - 4" discrepancies on a 40 yard uphill shot. Then we leveled the sight, at full draw, and got no discrepancies on an identical shot. 3rd axis leveling, at full draw, is a detail that is often overlooked when setting up a bow. But is obviously important when asking for perfect results on a perfect shot..

using a standard hunting sight with only two mounting holes no 2nd and third axis...simply attach to bow and shoot three arrows at ten yards that will tell you simply to "follow the rainbow"....

may sound difficult but it really isnt...

Hint8 most dealer will attach and set up sight close when you buy a bow...when we sell a bow and accessories including sights we dont let the willing customer leave with 3 consecitive arrow in the gold..

Neil
Old 02-11-2013, 02:26 PM

I appreciate the post arrow. I should have made the title how do I properly set up my pins.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:41 PM

Default Chase your arrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
Roscoe mentioned "chase your pins"... I remember it as "chase your arrow"... Move your pins onto the spot the arrows are hitting.... If your arrows hit low, move your pins lower. If the arrows hit right of bullseye, move your pins right....

Keep in mind that you need everything else consistent; nice relaxed bow hand, draw hand in the same position each time, bow arm flexed and in the same position each time. Until you do these things, you *could* be chasing arrows all over the place. Create that anchor/bow form first, then chase your arrows/pins.....

J.
Sorry, I did mean chase your arrows, brain dead that day I guess. Cheers Roscoe
Old 02-11-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post

J.
Appreciate the response. Once I get my technique down ill take this advice and try er out.
Now the battle is to find some place to practice.