Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-17-2018, 11:17 PM

Default New to Alberta

Just moved to Calgary have been hunting in BC for many years. A few Moose, deer and bear under my belt. Although with moving here completely different regs than bc. Just looking for tips do you go for an area that has multiple species open, or do you focus on just one species?
Also if anyone wants to join i'm down for up to 6 hr drive to go find something everything shared from were we meet, you can also have the first shot. If not ill just hit the mountains myself. I'm getting close to backpack hunting just need to get in a little better shape before i can commit to that.

Thanks,
Moe

Last edited by Moe.JKU; 06-17-2018 at 11:23 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:44 AM

Moe, just a heads up that this coming Thursday is the deadline for the Alberta hunting draws.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Moe, just a heads up that this coming Thursday is the deadline for the Alberta hunting draws.
thanks i submitted all of mine a few weeks back just building priority at this point. not planning on using them for a few years at least
Old 06-18-2018, 05:17 PM

Welcome to Alberta Moe, Hope you can get everything figured out for this fall. You don’t need to memorize the regulations, but it doesn’t hurt to carry a copy with you when you are planning on hunting multiple WMU’s, as the rules can be quite different from one to the next. I always try to maximize my success by getting tags for multiple species, and I try to stick to public land, to avoid having to ask permission. It can be quite disappointing to scout an area that you can’t get permission in. Good luck this fall season. Tap into the iHunter app if you don’t already have it, lots of good info on there!!
Old 06-18-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
Welcome to Alberta Moe, Hope you can get everything figured out for this fall. You don’t need to memorize the regulations, but it doesn’t hurt to carry a copy with you when you are planning on hunting multiple WMU’s, as the rules can be quite different from one to the next. I always try to maximize my success by getting tags for multiple species, and I try to stick to public land, to avoid having to ask permission. It can be quite disappointing to scout an area that you can’t get permission in. Good luck this fall season. Tap into the iHunter app if you don’t already have it, lots of good info on there!!
Thanks, And yes I will stick to public land probably in the foothills and mountain areas. I do have will be getting ihunter here shortly now that its been suggested a few times here I see.

For public land/grazing areas, is there a map that covers the province like BC, or is it more localized here for each county?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe.JKU View Post
Thanks, And yes I will stick to public land probably in the foothills and mountain areas. I do have will be getting ihunter here shortly now that its been suggested a few times here I see.

For public land/grazing areas, is there a map that covers the province like BC, or is it more localized here for each county?

Thanks in advance.
There is an overlaid map on the app for leased lands throughout the province, it breaks down each individual lease. And has contact info on almost all of them. It does cost extra to have that map though. You can also purchase county land owner maps individually. Prices of the maps tend to vary from county to county.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:52 PM

Hey Moe, where in BC did you move from? How old are you? Give us a bit of background info and you might find someone you have things in common with.

There are plenty of opportunities from ducks to trophy sheep not too far from Calgary. Ihunter will be a life saver, and if you shoot archery...the world is your oyster here.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if your having trouble figuring things out. I'm in Calgary and always good for a beer and helping point you in the right direction.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:23 PM

Be careful if your hunting mule deer. Different than BC as mule deer are all draw in AB.
Had a friend from BC (similar to your situation)get in trouble a few years back as he was confused with the mule deer rules / zones.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
Be careful if your hunting mule deer. Different than BC as mule deer are all draw in AB.
Had a friend from BC (similar to your situation)get in trouble a few years back as he was confused with the mule deer rules / zones.
They still have general tags available for the archery season in many wmu’s for mule deer. But you are correct about general seasons. I even just double checked a few of the wmu’s that used to offer general mule deer tags for rifle seasons, and it appears they have all switched to draw only for the general seasons. Hmmm, I didn’t know that, And I’ve been hunting here in Alberta for 13 years now. Thanks for the refresher!! I have only hunted mule deer on draw tags before, or during archery only seasons, but it’s still good to know! Thanks again.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Did they change the general antlered season to a draw for 530 and 531?
It was always a general antlered season previously .
Cat
Old 06-18-2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan_BHA View Post
Hey Moe, where in BC did you move from? How old are you? Give us a bit of background info and you might find someone you have things in common with.

There are plenty of opportunities from ducks to trophy sheep not too far from Calgary. Ihunter will be a life saver, and if you shoot archery...the world is your oyster here.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if your having trouble figuring things out. I'm in Calgary and always good for a beer and helping point you in the right direction.
been hunting about for about 7 years now since i was 20. No family members that hunted so had a late start but picked it up on my own. Over the years harvested a couple moose bears, deer, and lots of ducks and geese. havn't bow hunted yet looking to rifle hunt this year this year get the lay of the land. Then move to archery next year as there are more opportunities. Fish a fair amount, but mainly ocean and salmon and steelies. Am just picking up fly fishing for trout around here.

Moved from Cloverdale, lower mainland area. Had to move out of there, getting a little to busy among other things. Didn't know anyone here when i moved out here luckily with my job they also have an office here so it was an easy transfer.

Anyone want to head out hunting I have a vehicle and will pay my share. With first shot going to who ever comes. I like the journey just as much as the harvest.

Mountain guy i see that muley is mainly draw. MY friends heading to Fernie area to meet up and track a muley down with me this year.

Last edited by Moe.JKU; 06-18-2018 at 11:02 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
They still have general tags available for the archery season in many wmu’s for mule deer. But you are correct about general seasons. I even just double checked a few of the wmu’s that used to offer general mule deer tags for rifle seasons, and it appears they have all switched to draw only for the general seasons. Hmmm, I didn’t know that, And I’ve been hunting here in Alberta for 13 years now. Thanks for the refresher!! I have only hunted mule deer on draw tags before, or during archery only seasons, but it’s still good to know! Thanks again.
From what I just read the general antlered licence is still available in the northern areas where I hunt .
Cat
Old 06-19-2018, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Not true!
Old 06-19-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
From what I just read the general antlered licence is still available in the northern areas where I hunt .
Cat
I’m sure you’re right about that, but most of the areas that are not on a draw. From my experience, don’t really hold many mule deer. Either that, or they’re just very difficult to locate.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:16 PM

Moe, I hate to tell you this, but there's no good places to hunt in Alberta.

Now in saying that Northern Alberta has a lot of Crown Land, and a lower population. Looking at Harvest Survey's should give you a good idea on what area's produce animals. I recommend getting a BackRoads Map Book for whatever area you plan to hunt.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 06-19-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Moe, I hate to tell you this, but there's no good places to hunt in Alberta.

Now in saying that Northern Alberta has a lot of Crown Land, and a lower population. Looking at Harvest Survey's should give you a good idea on what area's produce animals. I recommend getting a BackRoads Map Book for whatever area you plan to hunt.
I have heard that there is no deer or elk are left. Not as many GOS as in BC but so far from hiking around and scouting a few areas I think with some effort it should be good fun this year. Solo hunting/camping in mountain grizz country is new to me, but i'm planning on trying it out a few times this year before hunting season.
Going to put moose hunting on hold for now until I harvest a elk whether its a 3 point or bigger I just want to finally connect on one
Old 06-20-2018, 08:14 AM

If your interested in elk hunting probably suggest Peace River or Grand Prairie as most elk, especially bulls are harvested in WMU's in those areas.