Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 05-03-2007, 02:50 PM
World Peace

Default Trap Dyes

Just wanted someone to write up a quick reply on the best type of trap dye to use. Never done it before as Dad never showed me. Just point me to the brand name as I'm pretty good at reading directions. However, if you have done this sort of thing b4, any helpful tips and tricks would be really appreciative.
Thanks !
WP.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:55 PM
traps

Default traps

Well it has been many years since I dyed traps, but when I did, I boiled them to get the oil off. hung them outside till they rusted, and then soaked them in a "willow" tea.
I got some willow branches cut them up with secutars [hand pruners] adn dumped them into water. bring to a boil and drop the traps in. I left them for a few days and when they came out they were black from the tannin in the willow.
This is an excellent time to gather some fine branches as thye are just leafing out here. T he tannin is in the bark, so all you want are the very small diameter twigs to about 3/8 inch.

I'm sure Halford would have some commercial product, but this worked fime for me.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:48 PM

have used stowes speed dip,ordered it online at sirmailorder.com they are out of winnipeg,mb easy to use and works well
Old 07-10-2007, 09:59 PM
Banned

Hello WP., As already mentioned, I use tree materials as well, usually from the area that I'm trapping in. Firstly, I boil the traps/snares in a solution of water and baking soda. Soda is cheap so use lots. B4 U pull the traps out of the boil, skim the oils from the top so U are not pulling them thru the oils U are trying to remove . Now U can boil them in a mix of leaves, barks, branches, whatever. I ahve also used Stowes speed dip. It comes in black, brown and white. I have even mixed colors just to get a diff. hue. If early enuff, I have even used aerosol rust paint. You need lots of air time for the paint to disapaite . I don't think now is to late for this.. The dyes are available locally from the AB Trappers Assoc. store in Westlock, or Halford in Edm. Either place will ship it out to use if you care to use the plactic on the phone. If you can pick it up, even better .There is lots to look at . Should you decide to go thru the ATA, U should purchase the new Trappers Manual. You might also inquire as to when the next trappers course is being held in your area . The manual is included in the price of the course. It is an excellent course and is even good for the seasoned trappers to get the update on things that are changing all too fast.. Hope this helps you somewhat.. Good luck
Sourdough Doug