Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-29-2011, 10:26 AM

Default Mule Deer on Oilsand Site

I was on an Oilsand site over the weekend and saw 3 Mule Deer bucks that still had their antlers. One was just a spike, one was a 2 or 3 year buck and the third was a monster. Unfortunately there was to much traffic to stop and take a picture (but still working on one) My question is what would cause them to hold their antlers so long?
Old 03-29-2011, 10:28 AM

Must be frozen on.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:35 AM

Default Su#%*r Mulies

I have been wondering the same thing, I have been trying to get pictures of that pig for awhile now, they are always out there in that reclaim area. I have seen as many as 14 deer total in that field. They are the reason I carry my binos in my service truck.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TikkaT3wsm View Post
My question is what would cause them to hold their antlers so long?
Good stress free habitat with plenty of food.

I have seen WT with antlers in april/may in the farmland after mild winters.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:56 AM

I wonder how we could turn this into a positive for the oilsands and the reclamation work they are doing? Anyone know how to get a hold of the company's PR department and give them a bit of a heads up.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 03-29-2011, 11:42 AM

Thumbs up antlers

It's been my experience that Mule Deer hold their antlers longer than whitetails, and also has been my experience that deer that are well nourished and non-stressed hold their antlers the longest.
The fact they still are carrying would say that the reclamation sure has helped them stay healthy and hearty, helping them keep their racks.

Good on the companies doing the reclaiming I'd say!!
Old 03-29-2011, 12:04 PM

out of curiosity, which site was it?
Old 03-29-2011, 12:27 PM

There's four mulie bucks one good one and three smaller guys that hang around the train yard in Calgary that still have thier horns on also. These deer always seem to drop late also I always thought it was strange also. Soon they will go hang out along the bow river and then they return in Nov. for the free grain that gets spilled along the track saw about 16 deer in the yard last night.Must be the stress free thing beats me.Cheers Andy
Old 03-29-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_magic_stick View Post
There's four mulie bucks one good one and three smaller guys that hang around the train yard in Calgary that still have thier horns on also. These deer always seem to drop late also I always thought it was strange also. Soon they will go hang out along the bow river and then they return in Nov. for the free grain that gets spilled along the track saw about 16 deer in the yard last night.Must be the stress free thing beats me.Cheers Andy
Did you see the Young Buck with all the Sticker points?

I bet that he is only 3 years old,scores only about 155" however he is a typical 5x5 with a bunch of sticker points.That deer will be a 200" in 3 years Garanteed!!! He is hanging out by the Ogden switch!!!
Old 03-29-2011, 12:56 PM

I would say that it is the good feed and lack of predators for sure there is all kinds of fawns with their mothers and siblings from last fall and you typically dont see both fawns with the mother up here all that often.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:56 PM

Hope didn't see him yet sent you a pm Tyler didn't want to side track this thread to much sorry tikka.Cheers Andy
Old 03-29-2011, 01:53 PM
Banned

it amazes me how many guys have never seen bucks carrying antlers into spring. around medicine hat a lot of bucks will be carrying into mid april. happens every year.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
it amazes me how many guys have never seen bucks carrying antlers into spring. around medicine hat a lot of bucks will be carrying into mid april. happens every year.
probably because most of the guys here are not from med hat. As you know the hat has likely the easiest winter for deer compared to the rest of the province. It only makes sense that the deer there will keep them longer more often.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
probably because most of the guys here are not from med hat. As you know the hat has likely the easiest winter for deer compared to the rest of the province. It only makes sense that the deer there will keep them longer more often.
havent you heard mule......deer and antelope are dying by the hundreds here. this is the worst winter in history......its epic.

actually in my job i get to see a ton of southern AB and SK. its the same everywhere i go.....some drop very early....even december, but most hang on until march or later. the latest i have ever personally seen antlers was april 16 on a 6 point bull elk along highway 3 just into BC.

my point is that antlers in march is simply not unusual.....no matter where you look. guys have been posting pics here from all over alberta.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TikkaT3wsm View Post
I was on an Oilsand site over the weekend and saw 3 Mule Deer bucks that still had their antlers. One was just a spike, one was a 2 or 3 year buck and the third was a monster. Unfortunately there was to much traffic to stop and take a picture (but still working on one) My question is what would cause them to hold their antlers so long?
Which site was this at?
Old 03-29-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
havent you heard mule......deer and antelope are dying by the hundreds here. this is the worst winter in history......its epic.

actually in my job i get to see a ton of southern AB and SK. its the same everywhere i go.....some drop very early....even december, but most hang on until march or later. the latest i have ever personally seen antlers was april 16 on a 6 point bull elk along highway 3 just into BC.

my point is that antlers in march is simply not unusual.....no matter where you look. guys have been posting pics here from all over alberta.
haha. yup, its definetly an epic year down there. Growing up down there I know I was always seeing mulies with bone on at least until the end of march. Maybe the fact that whites are the early droppers that some people are concerned, or the peace/GP area mulies generally drop earlier. From what I heard, most mulies south of the hat seemed to be dropped in the first week or so of march, which is early for them. First week of February when I was in the hat most of the WT had already dropped, that is crazy early for that part of the province I am sure.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:03 AM

Had a 3 point walk down my driveway this morning with both antlers. Have only found 4 so far. 3 of the 6 muley bucks coming into my neighbours bales still have antlers, north of Grand Prairie.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:47 PM

I saw them on the Suncor Site! Thanks for all the input guys! It seemed odd to me as I have not seen any deer still wearing their antlers this late but from the sounds of it this is not an uncommon occurrence.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:30 PM

we have deer all over town, and ive seen probably 4-5 whitetail bucks in the last two weeks still sporting some antlers. i thought it was pretty strange that they would keep them this long