Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-22-2007, 06:05 PM
Shedcrazy

Default First Beaver

Trapped my first beaver this weekend. I have a beaver control permit for my work and asked to do some control ASAP. Set out the traps Friday afternoon and checked yesterday and had one trap set off and the other with a perfect hit. Right behind the head. I know not a big deal to you seasoned trappers but was pretty excited. Took my crse last winter and was hoping to get out sooner...I might be hooked!!!

Noticed two more in the pond so hope to continue my luck....
Old 04-22-2007, 07:55 PM
aka bushmaster

Congrats, its easy to get hooked trapping.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:01 PM
Shedcrazy

Well I am two for two!! Got another beaver in the same trap. Do they start to get educated quite fast? Is it best to move the trap around the runs? Where I am trapping them they want complete removal (water source).

Any advice would be great!
Old 04-26-2007, 07:40 AM
Welcome aboard

Default Welcome aboard

Congrats on yur first catch.I would keep the trap in the same place till it is un touched.Setting a 330 at a bottom of a slide is usually quite productive too.Once they get get snapped on a nose with a 330 they become educated and trap shy.Good luck and welcome again....Zeph:hat
Old 04-30-2007, 05:16 PM
Shedcrazy

Default Shedcrazy

Hey, remember me, the moose hunter who tried hard to find mr big and ended up with a skunk. Are you trapping these beaver on the base? Just curious. If so where in the base would you have problem beavers.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:59 PM
beaver

Default beaver

what are you doing with the beavers?
When I did nuisance trapping, the fur was not market grade, but I skinned them and had the hides tanned. I sewed them on a felt background like a bear rug and sold them privately for much morse than the fur would have fetched at the auction.
Bear baiters are always looking for carcasses.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:16 PM
Shedcrazy

Default Re: beaver

Well I got 6 in total now and I have them all frozen as I am very busy with surveying right now. I have been checking with the local boy scouts and a few others if any our needed. If not I might try and skin out my first, stretch it out and keep it. The others will go to a local trapper I know as the fur seems still pretty good but fading.

The beaver are from a few problem areas we have ie drainage canels in the built up area and in our resevior. Human safety reasons mainly. The rest are free to build away and are doing no harm.