Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-11-2006, 04:09 PM
lethalconnection

Default Where to take hydes?

Hey guys i have shot coyotes before but i never thought of keeping the hydes but since realizing i can get money for them im just curious as to where i take them to exchange them. Im in Calgary.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:17 PM
aka bushmaster

There are a few local buyers (wait until someone from the south chimes in for names) or you can skin and stretch them and sell them at auction thru NAFA.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:36 PM
Soreneck Racing

Lethal;

Why dont you give Halford Hide a call in the morning, I believe that they have a Calgary office. The other option is to phone the Alberta Trapper office-they are in Westlock-they can probably direct you to the right place.

I would be interested to know how much you get for them.

Soreneck Racing
Old 10-12-2006, 01:01 AM
lethalconnection

I believe someone told me on another thread that they were going for about $50 a hide so i thinks it worth the time stopping and skinning them out. It will help with the cost of gas and ammo.

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:29 PM
Re: Where to take hydes?

Halford will give you a decent price on whole frozen coyotes($20-$30) But they are cheap on the stretched and dried goods. Just a thought if you havent skinned to many coyotes before they can be alot of fun:lol

They smell bad they have fleas(yes you will get bitten)and the hard part is when you get the hide off you have to flesh it and remove every scrap of fat. Then you need a stretcher and it needs to stay warm and dry for 2 weeks on the stretcher.

By all means do it, i do it every year but just be warned that its not just a matter of skinning out a couple yotes. They will take about 1 hour to do properly and you wont get $50 for them unless you do a perfect job and tumble them and fluff up the fur and they are perfectly prime.

fur handling is an art that takes years to get good at.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:57 PM
citysfs

Is there some one by name that we could contact at Halford , regarding bying them on the hoof..??
Old 12-27-2006, 10:42 AM
Heybert

Default Halford

You can only bring your 'yotes to the Edmonton Halford and talk to Stephan. He's the one that deals with them. Got the info a few weeks ago when I called them. They don't accept whole 'yotes in Calgary.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:47 AM
citysfs

Default Re: skinning yotes

Re Flees

I remember a dear old friend of my dads who would put coyote in large canvas bag, spray it with raid and leave it overnite...not many flees left after that
Old 03-24-2007, 03:23 AM
grandslamer1

Default Re: skinning yotes

raid is the answer i work as a fur buyer / preparer for 3 years in edmonton and did upwards of 40-50 coyotes a day spray with raid i never once got bit by a flea