Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-27-2011, 07:54 PM

I plan on a whole lot of bird hunting, whitetails in athabasca, and hopfully an october antelope hunt in Wyoming... Oh and hopefully a better sheep then my last one.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:57 PM

i planning to take off 5 days to go to saskatchewan snow goose hunting

WTB snow goose decoys
Old 02-27-2011, 08:03 PM

Haven't really thought about 2011 yet, other than....

A big ram is my main objective this fall; 2 months dedicated training so far and am trimming all my gear to reduce all excess weight. Already decided on my layered clothing system. Am shopping for new UL rifle sling. Planning on the Edmonton B&S show to visit Kenetrek. etc...

I am also a hunter host for WT this fall, so have plans to do some serious big bush scouting in anticipation of November. Axle bearing rebuild on the quad trailer is on the to-do list.

Otherwise, some local bowzone action for moose and WT. New custom strings and cables on the Maxxis will be ready tomorrow.

And if things fall into place, BC Mtn goat...

Old 02-27-2011, 08:27 PM

I am hoping to get out for some bear hunting. I am P5 for Wainwright as well so I will probably pull the first rifle hunt there. That and Africa in September.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
Never mind though, I forgot you were out here once in the last 5 years, enjoy your antelope tag
For your info yes I have not been in your area much, second I dont hunt Antelope anywhere near there and third ill go for a look in the spring and see what the populations look like in the zone I apply for myself before I listen to you rant on and on. Didnt you say the same thing last year and the year before that Pack? Funny how your story never changes no matter what year it is or what changes have occured.

Anyways back to the original topic!
SG
Old 02-27-2011, 08:59 PM

Well for me I will be getting my moose draw FINALLY.....I'm goin to do my best to get it with my bow.

I would like to get my son out more with his bow this season....work got to much in the way last year. Looking at a new area closer to home so we can do some after school hunts this year. However we are both up for our muley draws, but he really wants to shoot something with his bow.

Going to be alot of planning to be done if I want to fit my sheep hunting in also

This season just like last will be more about my 2 boys....getting them a deer. Hunting through their eyes is way to kool.....just not enough hunting days hahaha.

Cheers MM
Old 02-27-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmamba View Post
This year I will being chasing bighorns for most of october and maybe the opening weeks of september !! I am definately not passing on any more rams , time to put one on the ground !! there is also a giant white tail that ive had on my trail cams for the last 3 years and his time is up hopefully ...

mamba,
Great to hear!!! I'm not changing my game plan, so I'm gonna hold you to that when that 145 ish squeeker steps out. Then laugh when I shoot those 160 you've been passing on ......
Old 02-27-2011, 09:11 PM

Well I for one didn't get any Sheep time in last year, and it looks like like i won't again this year. Looks like the only thing I'll be hunting is late season Wainwright.

Other plans that have peeked my intrest, are either Africa, polar bear and or a goat hunt, but again, as of right now it doesn't look like any hunting for me in Aug, Sept, Oct.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Other plans that have peeked my intrest, are either Africa, polar bear and or a goat hunt, but again, as of right now it doesn't look like any hunting for me in Aug, Sept, Oct.
That doesnt sound fun at all!!! Three months with no hunting? Gotta be something darn important!
Old 02-27-2011, 09:25 PM

planning on going for a bull elk hunting in the fernie area then hopfully get out more even if it by myself and sit there and wait for a nice whitetail buck

CN
Old 02-27-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
For your info yes I have not been in your area much, second I dont hunt Antelope anywhere near there and third ill go for a look in the spring and see what the populations look like in the zone I apply for myself before I listen to you rant on and on. Didnt you say the same thing last year and the year before that Pack? Funny how your story never changes no matter what year it is or what changes have occured.

SG
Hope your not disappointed lots of snow and the coyotes are haven a hayday down this way!!!
Old 02-27-2011, 09:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Hope your not disappointed lots of snow and the coyotes are haven a hayday down this way!!!
No worries, ill see what the spring brings. I only need one decent one to be around. If not then its easy to 999 it. But to plan that now is a little premature I do beleive.
SG
Old 02-27-2011, 09:49 PM

Think this might be the year for a turkey in BC, and possibly I'll be hunting black bear in the Prince George area early June. Then back to the rams. Don't know about the antelope. Reportedly the die-off in Montana is fairly significant, and there were some messages here about the herds not doing too well. But I have a raffle ticket on the fridge that could send me to BC again for two of moose, caribou, and goat! :-)
Old 02-27-2011, 09:57 PM

Always plan to spend some of the season east of Carrot River and Aborfield, Saskatchewan in Area 59. It is one of my favourites for Whitetail. It even opens up October 1st to the end of November for regular rifle season. I've shot big deer there when every other hunter is after moose & elk.

Here's the map of my stomping grounds............[/IMG]
Old 02-27-2011, 09:57 PM

I think I'll try hunting a prairie Bull Elk this year, seeing as I have never hunted Elk before. See what all the hype is about this Elk hunting!!!! Then we'll see if we can't get a Ram for a good friend.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:59 PM

Cadomin from Nov. 11-20, all the rest I'll just wing it.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:10 PM

My season should consist of; trying to deny the opportunity to hunt spring bear on the island again, mule deer draw and sheep. I am planning to spend way too much money again this year with all the rad new Kuiu gear
Old 02-27-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
I think I'll try hunting a prairie Bull Elk this year, seeing as I have never hunted Elk before. See what all the hype is about this Elk hunting!!!! Then we'll see if we can't get a Ram for a good friend.
Never realized we were that close Ramcrazy, but heck, let's give it a try! :-)
Old 02-27-2011, 10:26 PM

Hey Frans I'm not very good at the sheep hunting thing either, my eyes aren't that good, but every once in awhile a blind squirrel finds a nut.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
That doesnt sound fun at all!!! Three months with no hunting? Gotta be something darn important!
Ya, mostly Business stuff, and some family stuff........But things hopefully change during crunch time!
Old 02-27-2011, 11:27 PM

Well due to a injury, there is a few things I had planned on hunting that I wont be able to now.
- Saskatchewan spring snow geese in April.
- BC costal black bear in May. I haven't cancelled this but more than likely will in the next week or so.
- Alberta bear baiting. My baits are a little sketchy at the moment. I may have some help baiting them to keep them active, but not actually hunt them. However I do have one bait that has a bear that need to get.

Hopefully my injury heals ok and my fall will go as planned.
- Alberta bighorns in late August, if I am good to go.
- Alberta Geese and Ducks. Sept - October
- Alberta archery Elk during the rut in September.
- Montana Antelope in October, if I am drawn.
- Alberta Whitetails in late November.
- Alberta Mulie Buck in early November.
- Washington Sea Ducks in January. This is just in the early stages of researching yet.

The of course there are always all the hunts on the wish list.
- WMU438 late season Bighorns
- Alberta Mountain Goat
- Hay-Zama Bison in January
- Plus any of the many hunt raffles that I donate too.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 02-27-2011, 11:37 PM

Focus on my whitetail. Should be drawn for mule deer in 526. That's where all my focus is going.
Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets
Old 02-27-2011, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
Well due to a injury, there is a few things I had planned on hunting that I wont be able to now.
- Saskatchewan spring snow geese in April.
- BC costal black bear in May. I haven't cancelled this but more than likely will in the next week or so.
- Alberta bear baiting. My baits are a little sketchy at the moment. I may have some help baiting them to keep them active, but not actually hunt them. However I do have one bait that has a bear that need to get.

Hopefully my injury heals ok and my fall will go as planned.
- Alberta bighorns in late August, if I am good to go.
- Alberta Geese and Ducks. Sept - October
- Alberta archery Elk during the rut in September.
- Montana Antelope in October, if I am drawn.
- Alberta Whitetails in late November.
- Alberta Mulie Buck in early November.
- Washington Sea Ducks in January. This is just in the early stages of researching yet.

The of course there are always all the hunts on the wish list.
- WMU438 late season Bighorns
- Alberta Mountain Goat
- Hay-Zama Bison in January
- Plus any of the many hunt raffles that I donate too.
Rocky if you need a hand with anything for bears let me know. I don't want anything in return. I know nothing about baiting and would like to learn if I could. That's all.

Call me and let me know. Oh ya I don't have that number that I text from anymore. I'll text you the new one later.

Daryl
Old 02-27-2011, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
Rocky if you need a hand with anything for bears let me know. I don't want anything in return. I know nothing about baiting and would like to learn if I could. That's all.
Call me and let me know. Oh ya I don't have that number that I text from anymore. I'll text you the new one later.
Daryl
Thanks Daryl. I might just take you up on that offer. I would love to have you come up for a day and check or set baits/cameras with me.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 02-28-2011, 06:04 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post

SG
Ya, it is funny how everything Ive been saying has ACTUALLY been happening the past 3 straight years. Do ya think that might be because ITS THE PRAIRIES and a guy can see all of this happening, WITH HIS EYE BALLS! Its not rocket science, and we dont need a helicopter to see it! You come down once in half a decade plus, and talk like its your back yard and everyone else is wrong. Your last trip down should have given you half a clue as to what is going on down here. But oh no, Sheepguide says theres lots of everything, we're just a bunch of trophy hunters with a bunch of bad excuses! LOL Keep talking Sheepguide thanks for the laughs buddy!

Back to the original topic!

I might load the dog and head to Sask to nuke a couple shaptails if theres time that can be afforded, been looking to get a couple to the taxi man for afew years.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er

Last edited by packhuntr; 02-28-2011 at 06:17 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:24 AM

This year should be possible spring bear, elk for sure, 98% sure on BC goat, pack in a couple of the boys on a sheep hunt, whitetail if it crosses my path. Next year, sheep, antelope? (priority 9) and elk.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:14 AM

So far I've got a spring black bear hunt lined up, going to norther B.C. for mountain caribou with my cousin at the end of August, and then I'm going to spend as much time as possible chasing big horns in the mountains.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 02-28-2011, 08:20 AM

I'm looking at
May 24-30th Black bear Grand Cache Way
Late August: Sheep
September Elk and Whities
October: Whatever I haven't shot yet
Nove: moose in 936
Old 02-28-2011, 08:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
Ya, it is funny how everything Ive been saying has ACTUALLY been happening the past 3 straight years. Do ya think that might be because ITS THE PRAIRIES and a guy can see all of this happening, WITH HIS EYE BALLS! Its not rocket science, and we dont need a helicopter to see it! You come down once in half a decade plus, and talk like its your back yard and everyone else is wrong. Your last trip down should have given you half a clue as to what is going on down here. But oh no, Sheepguide says theres lots of everything, we're just a bunch of trophy hunters with a bunch of bad excuses! LOL Keep talking Sheepguide thanks for the laughs buddy!
PM sent big guy.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:21 AM

Well this will be my first year hunting. Can hardly wait to fill my Gopher tag.
10" Fuse Carbon Blade Stabilizer