Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-28-2011, 09:35 AM

2011 will be a busy season for us.. Headed for Russian Brown Bear in May, both myself and the wife... Then off to Australia for archery Water Buffalo and some fishing while we are down... Chasing the jumpers both in Sask and Alberta, Sept through Nov... Might do a cougar hunt in December, the wife wants to stick another cat to add to the collection...

And of course, run our GSP on pheasants, we raise and have a release site, so pheasants till the end of March...

Camera's rollin on all hunts, good luck to all....
Old 02-28-2011, 09:47 AM

Should be getting my moose draw this fall, so most of my plans will fall around that. Mrs. Brady should be getting her cow moose draw too, so it should get get moosey around here. Will be active on the elk front too, then Nov. will see me in deer country on the farm again. Should be a good year. Will also be getting my two oldest into the act too, and that will trump all activity.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:23 PM

Another Goat hunt would be fun.
I got a nice one a few (quite a few) years ago near Telegraph Creek.

I have priority 10 for antlered Elk. This might be the year to stop 999 that draw. Anyone heard how the winter kill has been on the prairie elk zones?

I'm also planning 2 seperate 1 week long sheep trips.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:10 PM

Spring bears of coarse, 7 day grouse hunt with my 74 yr old dad and then my annual 14 day sheep hunt, I sure hope my zone doesnt go to a draw I already up graded my spotting scope and just made a deal on a new to me rifle scope!
Old 02-28-2011, 04:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad mountain mike View Post
Spring bears of coarse, 7 day grouse hunt with my 74 yr old dad and then my annual 14 day sheep hunt, I sure hope my zone doesn't go to a draw I already up graded my spotting scope and just made a deal on a new to me rifle scope!
The rumor I heard is that there wont be any sheep changes for 2011 but possibly for 2012. But that is second or third hand rumor so not guaranteeing anything.
SG
Old 02-28-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
The rumor I heard is that there wont be any sheep changes for 2011 but possibly for 2012. But that is second or third hand rumor so not guaranteeing anything.
SG
It might be selfish of me but I sure hope that its true, I start looking forward to the next season when I,m packing up my camp to go home!
Old 02-28-2011, 05:13 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Spring bears of coarse, 7 day grouse hunt with my 74 yr old dad and then my annual 14 day sheep hunt, I sure hope my zone doesnt go to a draw I already up graded my spotting scope and just made a deal on a new to me rifle scope!
No new sheep draws for 2011. There will be three WMUs closed to sheep hunting but that's all the changes. I'm guessing we'll see some changes in 2012 and we should have a better idea what those are going to be in April.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
No new sheep draws for 2011. There will be three WMUs closed to sheep hunting but that's all the changes. I'm guessing we'll see some changes in 2012 and we should have a better idea what those are going to be in April.
YAHOO! On to my map source, google earth and some serious planning again!
Old 02-28-2011, 05:25 PM

I wish I could go on a big hunt. Somewhere far. Far far away. Instead I'm stuck guiding americans behind my house.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:29 PM

I get to hunt deer this year.......you dudes all take it for granted but it's definantely gonna be a highlight for me

Hope I can hold out for a 180" mulie.....but I doubt it.....I think I'm gonna be like a kid in a candystore. Them lil' piggy things are gonna be fun as well!!

tm
Old 02-28-2011, 06:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
It might be selfish of me but I sure hope that its true, I start looking forward to the next season when I,m packing up my camp to go home!
I hear ya! Kinda depressing when the end of the season rolls around.

SG
Old 02-28-2011, 07:22 PM

So far this year it looks like an Eastern Turkey hunt in Idaho, Merriams Turkey in BC and helping with 2 Merriams hunts here in Alberta. I should finally pull a tag for Non-Trophy sheep tag and then the annual trip to the North for a Whitetail and apparantly its my tag this year on Bull Moose. I am still planning a trip for Mountain Goats in BC for me and Ram Crazy so we will see if that works out his year or not. Other than that, it's wait and see if any of the "lottery" tags come through IE Buffalo, Trophy sheep, Moutain Goat in Alberta etc!
Old 03-28-2011, 10:33 PM

Default 2011

AB turkey
spring bear if i see one
AB MT goat
Trophy speed goat
Mulie buck - hopefully with my bow.... I can do that on a draw tag right?
Last day WT doe if i need the jerkey meat...... but i hope not...

Last edited by Gun+Rod; 03-28-2011 at 10:34 PM. Reason: forgot the doe
Old 03-29-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
Been pounding maps and info the last couple days and emailing tons about my upcoming possible hunt in BC and my archery bighorn plans in Alberta this fall and it got me thinking about who else is already planning their hunts?

SG
I've been planning extensively...I planned a trip for my wife to Orlando for week a family vacation in the summer to Southern BC. So by my planning sounds like 1 week sheep hunt, 1 week for elk plus 1 week for the white tails.
With a little more "planning" might be able to work something out for Spring bear.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:48 AM
sheephunter

Three weeks and counting to New Zealand! Woohoo Tahr, chamois and red stag

Will spend a few days chasing bears with hounds in BC

Hopefully this is the year for a big Yukon moose

I know there is a 408 archery sheep tag with my name on it this year and should draw muley buck so it's shaping up to be a good one!!
Old 03-29-2011, 06:44 PM

actually planning for May 2012.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Three weeks and counting to New Zealand! Woohoo Tahr, chamois and red stag
What the heck's a Woohoo??
Old 03-29-2011, 08:05 PM

Spring bear, archery/draw mulie, along with cow moose f, and could be non-trophy antelope but will most likely hold off for a year or two.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:48 PM

All plans cancelled, anyone know how the hunting is around Chilliwack BC.....seems I'm posted this yr.........was going to try moose and my usual whitetails here and is SK.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:49 PM

Default hunts

Sheds when the snow finally melts, followed by spring bear, then its an all out assault for archery mule deer followed by helping my son get his cow moose(draws willing) and cap off the season by tagging up on a certain droptine buck that keeps showing up on my trailcams.The longest sentence ever.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:53 PM

In Yukon: Sheep in August, Moose in September-October, possibly Elk if i get the draw....And of course my alberta whitetail trip in November!
Old 03-31-2011, 01:00 PM

Due to my wife's Uni this fall will be more local
May 23-28th Black Bear in Hinton Area
Aug 25-29 Sheep in Nordegg General Area
End of Sept/oct Elk, Moose and supp deer in Hinton area
Oct Grouse in Blackfoot
Nov WhitetaiL!
Old 03-31-2011, 02:38 PM

Seems I can shoot a yote off the back step of my house once a month though i dont really plan that LOL

Gonna try some spot and stalk black bears in may just to get out and walk some bush after a LONG winter.

Then ill be found in a pasture somewhere flinging .224" lead at poor cute little rodents in between fishing trips.

Im pulling my antelope tag this year with my old man who isnt getting any younger. Just not decided if we will pull trophy or non trophy yet. A weekend scouting near the draw deadline will decide that.

Aug-Oct will be in a treestand on the home quarter waiting to put an arrow in a wall hanger whitetail....150 and up....i aint picky LOL

Mid September will be elk camp as always down in a dark scary river valley. Hope to break in my 45-70 on that one!

Moose will either be 999 again or ill put in near home for Nov...so it doesnt interfere with my elk camp. November moose hunt could turn into a whitetail hunt as well depending how the archery season goes.

Keep shooting coyotes off the back porch.

GOD willing....Zama Bison

Before any of this even starts I plan to put down money on a 2012 Cape Buffalo hunt.

I never really stop planning....i live my life one hunt at a time
Old 03-31-2011, 03:39 PM

Got permission on 50acres near Stony Plain for archery season and am determined to get a deer or two with my new bow.

Am going to backpack for sheep for few nights in Sept or Oct - my first try, so expect questions me on this forum pretty soon!

Other than that its rifle whitetail in 242 on my friends place, hopefully a day or two on waterfowl and of course a few days after bear in 6 or 7 weeks time!