Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-25-2011, 09:04 PM

Default Knife sharpeners

Hey guys I am a horrible knife sharpener. I am looking for an electric sharpener to put a very sharp edge on all of my knives. I looked at Cabelas but there are a ton of them and mixed reviews. Anyone have a good one that they could recomend that will put the perfect edge on a big knife down to a paring knife with a perfect angle and no deformaties?
Old 03-25-2011, 09:23 PM

http://www.worksharptools.com

Amazing results with this thing I bought one for the old man too for his boat.works on everything.but be careful I did the knives in the house and managed only 2days before I was in the hospital getting repaired. My dad did the same but mom is way tougher then me when she cut herself she didn't go to the hospital.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:49 PM

Nube...........Try the chefs choice models at Bass Pro.....
Old 03-25-2011, 10:37 PM

Do you have one? Tell me a bit about he pros and cons of it.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:28 PM

I bought a chefs choice electric sharpener from Costco.Excellent unit !! 3 diamond wheels -course - medium - fine . it does a great job without having to fight with it. I had an old shrade drop point that I never could get a real good edge on it and finally got it with this machine within minutes

I think it was around 80 bucks
Old 03-26-2011, 07:13 AM

i use a chef's choice 130 for all of my knives, from kitchen to hunting to fishing. it works great on all of them. i found at the beginning i really had to grind some of the blades to get the right angle, but since then all my knives are nothing short of wicked sharp.
i fish commercially as well, so i filet thousands of fish each year and it's been just great.

my 2 cents
Old 03-26-2011, 07:28 AM

I used a friends Chef's choice 130 this winter to sharpen up all of my kitchen and butcher knives. What a great tool. I will definetly be buying one for myself!!!
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 03-26-2011, 08:02 AM

Default electric vs. manual sharpeners

In my experience from 10 years ago, electric sharpeners could not put as good an edge on knives as manual sharpeners. Are the newer electric models much, much better than the old models? How does the Chef's Choice or the like compare with a good manual like <A HREF="www.wickededgeusa.com">Wicked Edge</A>?
Old 03-26-2011, 08:09 AM

Smile

Probably one of the best, easiest and simplest sharpeners out there (not the cheapest).

This sharpener fits in Rolls-Royce and Porsche category .

http://www.v-sharp.com/

Look at it on YouTube under Worthog sharpener.

Find dealers http://www.v-sharp.com/map_test.php

P.S. spend extra money and buy it with two stones 325 Grit med/coarse and 600 Grit fine, they also have 1000 Grit superfine .

Buy cheap cry every day .

Old 03-26-2011, 08:27 AM

Don't waste you money on these get a good oil stone and a steel and practise it's all about a consistent angle and pressure anyone can sharpen a knife
Old 03-26-2011, 08:52 AM

Default sharpener

I bought a Lansky sharpening system about 18 months ago, however I can still get a better edge with my sharpening steel. The key with the steel seems to be consistent angle and consistent pressure.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:52 AM

Sharpener was on my shopping list this year at the shot show in Vegas. Watched three manufacturers demo's. Decided on the Smiths Electric , Manual , Knife scissor sharpener. Have done most of the neighbors knives, friends etc. Report back was that there were a few finger cuts from the domo's. Botton line is that any electric knife scharpener over $100.00 will do an awesome job. Buy one under that and you get what you pay for. The butcher shops buy the professional series sharpeners but they run over $300.00
Old 03-26-2011, 10:56 AM

I think the reason the Chefs Choice sharpener works so well is because the sharpening angle is set and very difficult to deviate from it . The knife slides through at the same angle with the same pressure every time.It's hard to screw up. It is not the be all end all though , you still need to be able to maintain the edge in the field with either a stone or a steel. This machine is good for the initial sharpening,and to give you the proper bevel to start with.

That being said ,if you really believe you need to spend $300 to get a knife sharpener then the chef choice machine is not for you.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:33 AM

Looks like you can get one for $150. I might have to put that on the list for my B day or Christmas present
Old 03-26-2011, 12:36 PM

I'll throw another vote up for Chef's Choice. While I still do my hunting knives by hand, I do my kitchen knives on the Chef's Choice and the hair jumps right off my arms when I'm finished. Very fast and easy.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:43 AM

The angle is key, no matter what you use.. And as was previously mentioned, practice will make perfect...
I have the chef's choice electric and like it to get started or to take out any knicks in the blade. For my touchups and before huntin season I run everything over my warthog.. It comes with me to camp or to where I am staying.. Both of these sharpeners have a fixed angle, with the warthog having 3 adjustable, but preset, angles..
Old 03-27-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K44 View Post
Don't waste you money on these get a good oil stone and a steel and practise it's all about a consistent angle and pressure anyone can sharpen a knife
x2 can't realy believe that so many people can't sharpen a knife realy people their is not much to it if you got a good stone. cheap stones kind of work. but good stone good steel and a little practise razor sharp,
Old 03-27-2011, 07:19 AM
Banned

Default Warthog

I like my warthog sharpener. Looks weird but once set up it does a great job. Got it from KD Ventures in Saskatchewan.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
x2 can't realy believe that so many people can't sharpen a knife realy people their is not much to it if you got a good stone. cheap stones kind of work. but good stone good steel and a little practise razor sharp,
i can sharpen a knife every bit as good as yourself using oil and a stone....... but i don't have the time to waste doing it. just to clarify that for you.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:49 AM
Gone Hunting

http://sharpeningmadeeasy.com/paper.htm

I've had this one for a few years. I like it. Takes a couple passes and you're good to go. shaving sharp.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-27-2011, 01:05 PM

Default Paper Wheel System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post

I've had this one for a few years. I like it. Takes a couple passes and you're good to go. shaving sharp.
I use the same wheel sharpening system as you. I recommend it also. Very easy to use. I bought mine from Calgary.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:

Looks good! Hard to take to hunting camp though! I use a Edge Pro, or Spydie Sharp Maker!

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 03-27-2011, 05:49 PM
Gone Hunting

Sinawalli, you don't have to take it to camp. Take the sharp knives they are much lighter to carry.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Sinawalli, you don't have to take it to camp. Take the sharp knives they are much lighter to carry.
But what happens when the sharp knives get dull?

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 03-28-2011, 05:41 PM
Gone Hunting

That's the beauty of having a knife fetish. I always have lots of sharp ones with me.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:57 PM

Default my go to shapener

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fdirastset.html

work great hooked to the table or hand held
Old 03-28-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonhunter View Post
i can sharpen a knife every bit as good as yourself using oil and a stone....... but i don't have the time to waste doing it. just to clarify that for you.
never thought of it that way I usually sharpen all of our kitchen knives about every 3 weeks some night after supper and just touch them up with a steel in between sharpings this usually takes about 1 to 1.5 hours. I can definitely see an electric sharpener coming home for the wife.sharping the knives just was something that I've always done as I hate a dull knife. wife hates a dull knife as well she's the one that dulls them. with an electric sharpener it can be her chore to sharpen every thing.