Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-26-2011, 11:13 PM

Default Mule deer hunt for out of province buddy

I have a friend who wants to come to Alberta to hunt for a big Muley buck. Any suggestions for where to go would be great. I hate begging for permission on private property, and friends budget is limited. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:06 AM

Check regs, hunter host required. If hes a rifle hunter hes pretty well got to have an outfitter as draws are required for most WMU's if not all for buck(if hes a non resident alien) I think a non resident can apply in draws. Unless he is a bowhunter and wants to hunt with a General tag in archery season only. Regulations are a must read.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:48 AM

Just to add a little to what KBF said, it's likely going to take 4 - 6 years to get drawn for a antlered draw, depending on what zone.

Don't take this personally, but I think that you're being a little optimistic if you think you'll be able to find a big mulie buck on the cheap on crown land. A lot of the good mulie WMUs are in south part of the province, which is of course mostly privately owned land. If your friend can't afford an outfitter, he's going to have to start putting in for the draw and wait for a number of years. That's about the only way to hunt mulies on a limited budget.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:55 AM

Default Non Draw Zones

There are a couple non draw zones that you can hunt in the Central west/north western part of the province, however they get hit really hard and anything over a spike or two point gets hammered or the access and huntable areas are far off the beaten path and the hunt would be a serious challenge especially if you were looking for anything decent.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algomasun View Post
I have a friend who wants to come to Alberta to hunt for a big Muley buck. Any suggestions for where to go would be great. I hate begging for permission on private property, and friends budget is limited. Thanks.
Unfortunately finding a big muley buck without a draw or a guide is going to be a challenge, unless like someone mentioned, he is a bow hunter. The crown areas where the mulies are in season are tough sledding if you don't know the area at all.

Lefty
Old 03-27-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Let's be blunt, a ton of residents have worked hard to get a chance at a 'big muley buck'. Outsiders will have to wait thier turn, if there is such a thing. Unfortunately, they can buy thier way into the pool.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:31 AM

if you want in a unit that needs alot of points, a non resident can not accumulate points, every year they start at zero

something you might want to consider
Old 03-27-2011, 11:34 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by st99 View Post
if you want in a unit that needs alot of points, a non resident can not accumulate points, every yeat they start at zero

something you might want to consider
The non resident must put in with a resident. The priority is the non residents. So first year is zero. second year they both put in together with a 1 priority.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-27-2011, 05:16 PM

Thanks for the information. I thought the draw would be an issue since he is a rifle hunter. I'll keep reading the regs and figure out his options. I wish he'd take up bow hunting to open up the options. How much are outfitters charging these days? I've been told it's more affordable to hunt Africa.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:42 PM

To take your friend on a Hunter Host license in Alberta would be quite easy. It would take 1-2 years to draw a tag in an area that he could kill a good representative buck and not have to deal with much permission other than a couple calls for some agricultural leases.

Depending what your opinion of a 'big mulie' is, a hunt could be done on crown land and you could easily have a successful rifle hunt with only a bit of work and some planning.

What kind of buck does your friend want to kill?
Old 03-27-2011, 06:13 PM

Thanks Rackmastr,
We're sure not afraid of a little work if we could get access to an area. He typically hunts moose in Northern Ontario where there's no deer season. I'd like to get him a buck that could score B&C. Not looking for a world record by any means. Unfortunately I've been sending him issues of Big Buck Magazine, but I don't think he'll be unrealistic.

Any thoughts on good he best units?
Old 03-27-2011, 06:16 PM
Gone Hunting

Good luck with your B&C mule deer, this is not the province it used to be.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 03-27-2011, 06:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'd like to get him a buck that could score B&C. Not looking for a world record by any means. Unfortunately I've been sending him issues of Big Buck Magazine, but I don't think he'll be unrealistic.

Any thoughts on good he best units?
im gonna go out on a limb here and say you arent even from alberta.....or at least you know nothing about hunting in alberta. to talk about the best "units" is something an non res would say. at any rate to think that you can just go out and whack a booner is out of touch with what alberta is all about. the last time it was posted (about 4 months ago) alberta has entered 45 mule deer total into the boone and crockett record book. the majority of them were in the 90s when the word management actually meant something in this province. if your pal wants a book deer, then utah is going to be your best bet....but even then it isnt going to come easy. considering you really dont know what youre up against, if alberta is in your head, then you had best set an upper limit of 170. there are a few bucks that will surpass that in spite of srd's so called management , but they will take a lot of work to find. you can be sure that anyone who knows where to find a buck better than 170 isnt going to tell the whole world where to find him.
if you are an albertan, but just not a hunter, you can host him alright. check the draw info at albertarelm and you will see that there are a couple of areas that you can be drawn this fall. 116 is one, but good luck finding one better than 150. park at the edge of the cypress hills and pray a dummy strays out of the park.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
I'd like to get him a buck that could score B&C.
Everybody would like to get a buck that makes B&C, you are being far too optimistic, and not very realistic.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:52 PM

Here there ishootbambi,
I am from Alberta, and I am a hunter. I've stayed on the archery side of things and just hunt the general seasons close to home. I'll agree that I don't know what I'm up against trying to get this set up for a rifle hunter. If all I can get him is good sized deer, I'm sure he'd be happy. Just trying to make this a good experience for a life long friend.

I've scouted a number of deer that would score low in the book, but one just can get access to hunt them.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:42 PM

Alright fellas, I guess I'm being unrealistic. How about just a good size buck that he could put on the wall.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Alright fellas, I guess I'm being unrealistic. How about just a good size buck that he could put on the wall.
Don't waste a draw in 359 !!!
Old 03-27-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
What part of Alberta are you from and what WMU's have you hunted so far?
Old 03-27-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algomasun View Post
i have a friend who wants to come to alberta to hunt for a big muley buck. Any suggestions for where to go would be great. I hate begging for permission on private property, and friends budget is limited. Thanks.
wmu 108

Hunt the edge of the Mackintyre Ranch
Old 03-27-2011, 09:23 PM

Default my turn to be blunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by winged1 View Post
Let's be blunt, a ton of residents have worked hard to get a chance at a 'big muley buck'. Outsiders will have to wait thier turn, if there is such a thing. Unfortunately, they can buy thier way into the pool.
Typical protectionist rhetoric... I hosted my brother from Ontario last year for an Alberta muley. Like me, he had to wait (especially since we applied together for 5 years) until we had the right priority points. He saved his money for the flight out, took the time off work and away from his family, and flew out for some quality time with his "little bro" We hunted, had a great time and harvested two great bucks.

Over the years I've been able to host both my brothers and father on some great hunts, hunts for game like elk and mule deer that they cannot hunt otherwise. The time spent with them afield is as priceless as it gets. I'm sure anyone who shares time hunting or fishing with their son, daughter, spouse, life-long friend, sibling or other loved ones can appreciate what I'm talking about. What difference does it make what city or province they are from?

As a guy who considers himself a Canadian first, an Albertan second, I get tired of people bashing "outsiders" wanting to hunt in our fine province. I wonder if these are the same guys heading out to SK for whitetails after their AB tag is filled...see you there!

For those hunters who don't have friends or family here, the ones that "buy their way in" must want it pretty bad eh! Good thing they drop a bunch of that coin to stay right here in AB through the outfitting industry.

Anyways, just my $0.02
Old 03-27-2011, 10:01 PM

Rackmastr,
NW of Calgary..214, 312, 410. Thats about it. Have also run my dogs for a shooting team during the Winchester Challenge out by Brooks and, as well as shot and ran a dog in a shoot last spring hosted by the Canadian Pheasant Company.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:01 PM

Whitetail Junkie,
Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:03 PM

elkamaholic,

You get it. Thanks.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
wmu 108

Hunt the edge of the Mackintyre Ranch
Good luck with that idea, all bordering land is private and most owners don't allow access and like ISB says " don't be overly optimistic about getting over 170 .. 150 is a more realitic number ".
Old 03-28-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Good luck with that idea, all bordering land is private and most owners don't allow access and like ISB says " don't be overly optimistic about getting over 170 .. 150 is a more realitic number ".
No doubt 108 is not NEARLY what it used to be. A lot of private land that requires some good homework and commitment to understanding areas, access, etc. Some of the land has now been turned to RAMP so there is a HUGE pile of pressure in recent years it seems like.

Killing a good buck in 108 can still be done, but its not what it used to be for sure...
Old 03-28-2011, 12:09 PM

Depending on where your going to be hunting, I think that there are a lot of good mule deer around. A 170 class deer shouldnt be out of the question, but like some of the guys were saying you are probably going to have to put in for a tag. I got lucky and got my tag on a priority 2 last year, and it was one of the best mule deer seasons Ive had. Got lucky enough to shoot the biggest mulie I seen last year, and there were plenty of deer between 150 and 170 with a couple going bigger. So wherever you go, put in the time before and during hunting season and hopefully you will get the deer you want! Good luck
Old 03-28-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
No doubt 108 is not NEARLY what it used to be. A lot of private land that requires some good homework and commitment to understanding areas, access, etc. Some of the land has now been turned to RAMP so there is a HUGE pile of pressure in recent years it seems like.

Killing a good buck in 108 can still be done, but its not what it used to be for sure...
Is Ramp even still going? All the signs I have seen that used to be ramp have either been taken down or changed backed to how it as before ramp came in. I haven't heard much recent news on ramp in awhile.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshaw View Post
Is Ramp even still going? All the signs I have seen that used to be ramp have either been taken down or changed backed to how it as before ramp came in. I haven't heard much recent news on ramp in awhile.
I think it may be done this year....although as I'm sure you know the properties that have had it in the past have been hammered stupid hard.

I REALLY hope we've seen the end of it...
Old 03-28-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post

" Not Nearly" is a gross understatement , I live within 5 miles of the named ranch and the pressure is extreme .. Ramp is to blame for alot of that .. glad it's gone .You are right tho, you can still get a decent deer but it will take some work and a good dose of luck .
Old 03-28-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
" Not Nearly" is a gross understatement
Thats for sure...words dont really describe how good it used to be and how horrible it is now in comparison. Sure its still a 'decent' area for a mule buck, but horrible compared to what it once was...

Much like a pile of zones out there it seems!