Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-28-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algomasun View Post
Whitetail Junkie,
Thanks for the tip.
No Problem!!! I was Driving through the area this winter and the deer seemed in Really good shape.

Wmu 108 is a massive Zone that holds and has always held great bucks.I know of 3 Mule bucks Taken there last Fall that grossed over 190" B&C.The Biggest Mule deer I ever saw in my life was in Wmu 108 many years ago.I only had a whitetail tag and could'nt shoot it.I lost count after about 20 points and that was just on the bucks right antler!!!!!
Old 03-28-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
No Problem!!! I was Driving through the area this winter and the deer seemed in Really good shape.

Wmu 108 is a massive Zone that holds and has always held great bucks.I know of 3 Mule bucks Taken there last Fall that grossed over 190" B&C.The Biggest Mule deer I ever saw in my life was in Wmu 108 many years ago.I only had a whitetail tag and could'nt shoot it.I lost count after about 20 points and that was just on the bucks right antler!!!!!
I'm thinking " many years ago" could play a big part in this scenario ..Curious, what did those deer that grossed over 190" end up with as net score ? Were they taken by an outfitter per chance ?
Old 03-28-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
I'm thinking " many years ago" could play a big part in this scenario ..Curious, what did those deer that grossed over 190" end up with as net score ? Were they taken by an outfitter per chance ?
Well last Fall was'nt "Many Years ago" I'm not big on net score's and dont know what they net scored.I know that Two of the bucks where alberta Residents,the third I just saw the picture.I have alot of Family\Friends\co-workers in Lethbridge who hunt Wmu 108 every year.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Well last Fall was'nt "Many Years ago" I'm not big on net score's and dont know what they net scored.I know that Two of the bucks where alberta Residents,the third I just saw the picture.I have alot of Family\Friends\co-workers in Lethbridge who hunt Wmu 108 every year.
I'm going by what you said " saw the biggest mule deer of my life many years ago in 108 ".. Gross score means nothing to me , if it was important B&C and Pope & Young would both use it .. I live in the middle of the zone and have a pretty fair idea of what's here . As for the outfitter part I thought maybe they were taken where the rest of us can't seem to get permission and he is the only guy in thousands of acres ..
Old 03-28-2011, 08:37 PM

I think B&C should use gross scores. Its the actual size of the antlers and total score of the antlers, deductions dont make to much sense to me. Just my opinion.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
I think B&C should use gross scores. Its the actual size of the antlers and total score of the antlers, deductions dont make to much sense to me. Just my opinion.
Boone and Crocket's Fair Chase Magazine started listing gross scores along with net scores a while back. I think there new book will as well. I believe this is the 13th edition and I think it comes out in 2013.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
I get the idea of evryone talking "gross score" , it is unfair to make an animal conform to a system that penalizes it for not being matched , that's fine . However in the case of no deductions I think that inside spread should be dropped , it's just air that is being measured . In this case animal with a narrow spread is actually penalized where one with a wider spread is getting credit for something it didn't actually grow .
Old 03-28-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
I get the idea of evryone talking "gross score" , it is unfair to make an animal conform to a system that penalizes it for not being matched , that's fine . However in the case of no deductions I think that inside spread should be dropped , it's just air that is being measured . In this case animal with a narrow spread is actually penalized where one with a wider spread is getting credit for something it didn't actually grow .
Yeah I kind of see what your saying thats a good point. Either way When it comes down to it a big deer is a big deer no matter what the score.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:15 PM
Banned

Either go the permission seeking route or do some research on crown land WMU's that have a high density of mulies. Maybe he won't get a Booner but is he gets a decent buck who cares. I'm not from Alberta originally either but what difference does it make, I plan on bringing my old man out here this Nov to knock down a big whitey on the private property I hunt on. People should'nt complain about out of province guys hunting in AB, non-residents contribute to the ecomomy while they are here. I'm taking my buddy from AB back to Newfoundland to hunt moose next year and I don't see anything wrong with that. In my experience the ones who complain the loudest are the ones who never bag anything anyway! Good luck!
Old 03-28-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Yeah I kind of see what your saying thats a good point. Either way When it comes down to it a big deer is a big deer no matter what the score.
x2 Very well spoken,A big deer is a Big deer,score is Just a Number.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
x2 Very well spoken,A big deer is a Big deer,score is Just a Number.
So true .. if it takes your breath away when you see it who cares about the tape .
Old 03-29-2011, 05:21 PM

Gday

I am from Australia and very new to this forum.

I have been following this thread with interest as I have a mate in Alberta that has a couple of big properties and was planning a trip over in the not too distant future.

From reading everyones comments would seem that i may as well leave the rifle at home and bring the camera? Do these rules apply to landowners as well or can they manage deer on their own properties?

I am very interested in the deer mamangement in Canada and how you look after them, very different to Aus wherethey are a classes ferral pests in some states.

Rusty
Old 03-29-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus Rusty View Post
Gday

I am from Australia and very new to this forum.

I have been following this thread with interest as I have a mate in Alberta that has a couple of big properties and was planning a trip over in the not too distant future.

From reading everyones comments would seem that i may as well leave the rifle at home and bring the camera? Do these rules apply to landowners as well or can they manage deer on their own properties?

I am very interested in the deer mamangement in Canada and how you look after them, very different to Aus wherethey are a classes ferral pests in some states.

Rusty
g-day Rusty. Your best bet would be to book through an outfitter. That may be a little more expensive but much easier logistically. You could contact APOS (alberta professional outfitter society) and find out which outfitters have tag allocations for the area you want to hunt. Alberta is seperated into many WMU's (wildlife management units). These allow us to manage populations in certain areas based on their unique needs. Hunting with an outfitter will allow you to likely hunt more areas other than your buddies, depending on which area is holding better deer. ask away or start another thread if you have many more questions.