Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-19-2014, 05:40 AM
Banned

Default Philadelphia Teen Sexually Assaulted During Stop and Frisk

http://www.alternet.org/philadelphia...op-and-frisk-0

Darrin Manning, a black, straight-A student and star basketball player, was walking with his coach and teammates to basketball practice when they were stopped by three white police officers. The officer's admitted reason for stopping the group was that they were wearing scarves to cover their faces--on one of the coldest evenings ever recorded in Philadelphia.

After the encounter, Manning had to be rushed to Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, where he underwent reconstructive surgery on his genitals. Despite his injuries, the teenager was still charged with aggravated assault and resisting arrest.

Pretty sad that you can't even dress for the cold without being abused by police.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:09 AM

Pretty poor article. Absolutley zero information on what happened.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:06 AM

More and more like third world countries. The police can and will do anything they like.
Sad!

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:10 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Two sides to the story here...
Old 01-19-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
yup,,,,x2
Old 01-19-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
what side of the story justifies a young man needing reconstructive surgery on his genitals? certainly not walking down the street with your school team and coach.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 01-19-2014, 08:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyak View Post
Pretty poor article. Absolutley zero information on what happened.
The link is there, and it is pretty clear that because the boys were black and wearing scarves in winter time, they were stopped by the police, who used excessive force, and brutalized the boys because they were wearing scarves.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
what side of the story justifies a young man needing reconstructive surgery on his genitals? certainly not walking down the street with your school team and coach.
Exactly. What would grant anyone, yet alone a police officer the right to do this?
Old 01-19-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm1273 View Post
Exactly. What would grant anyone, yet alone a police officer the right to do this?
Hard to argue with this?
What a world.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlizzy View Post
Hard to argue with this?
What a world.
Its not the world,just some of the people in it.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
The report is actually very lacking in facts. I would like to understand what led to the injury before making stupid statements like "sexual assault", but with that said I think that the program is an intrusive knee-jerk reaction to a problem that can be solved by recognizing personal rights instead of intruding on them.

It could be as simple as the young man started a scruff with the cops because he's a know it all teenager and while trying to get it under control was stepped on, or many other scenario.

Give it a rest guys....its Philly.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem338win View Post
The report is actually very lacking in facts. I would like to understand what led to the injury before making stupid statements like "sexual assault", but with that said I think that the program is an intrusive knee-jerk reaction to a problem that can be solved by recognizing personal rights instead of intruding on them.

It could be as simple as the young man started a scruff with the cops because he's a know it all teenager and while trying to get it under control was stepped on, or many other scenario.

the stop and frisk policy gives police the unlawful authority via color of law to violate a person's rights. without this unjust policy there would not have been ANY incident. considering its a "sexual" violation of a minor there's not going to be a lot of facts until after an investigation, and possible court hearing/trial.

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 01-19-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:

I would tend to agree. Lets hear both sides of the story. Teenagers this day and age In general have no respect for authority. Could it have been because they were black, maybe. Could it be that the teen was one of those with no respect for authority, maybe. Lets see the whole story and then make a decision. The media these days are always quick to judge the cops, I dont think it is fair to handcuff cops all the time they have to make a split second decision and should not be penalised before all facts are given.

Just my two cents worth.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:48 PM

http://o.dailycaller.com/all/2013-10...en-random-guys

Phillys finest
Old 01-19-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:

the stop and frisk policy gives police the unlawful authority via color of law to violate a person's rights. without this unjust policy there would not have been ANY incident. considering its a "sexual" violation of a minor there's not going to be a lot of facts until after an investigation, and possible court hearing/trial.
I understand and gave my opinion on the policy.

I have little respect for your posts or opinions on many subjects discussed here due to your inability to understand things and circumstances for what they are without flavoring it with overly emotional and personal biases.

There is nothing to suggest that this young man was sexually assaulted. The absence of facts supporting your gross assumption has nothing to do with the story being of a sexual nature with a youth. They have no such publication bans in his jurisdiction and if they did, like we do, the first thing thy wouldn't do is publish his name.

The media would have instantly suggested or given evidence that this was a sexual assault due to their drive to make headlines juicier and appeali for the sake of the bottom line. Them not doing it would imply otherwise.

All the article says is some black males wearing face coverings were targeted lawfully with arguably draconian policy and the outcome is that there was a physical altercation that injured this seemingly do-good young mans knackers and he is being charged with what in laymans terms means fighting with the police. Until we see further evidence to say otherwise, all else is conjecture and some are decidedly taking it to a childish level of accusatory behavior.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:13 PM

The hyperbole & bias of the OP's synopsis of the equally one-sided article he linked is blatantly obvious. Both parties obviously have pre-existing biases and are doing their best to propagate them. I'm not saying that whatever transpired was right, legal or just, but that without further details beyond what was provided it cannot be decided one way or another. I've heard better detailed stories out of 5 year olds after a scuffle for Pete's sake. Such an injury could easily be sustained in a struggle where the youth got kicked in his privates and a tear resulted; to categorize that as a sexual assault is ludicrous.

As noted, the youth could have been excessively lippy, and butted heads with the wrong cop. Many people take issue with authority figures, some that are even otherwise law-abiding citizens. Place two unyielding sides together and stuff like this happens, a bit of diplomacy on either or both of their parts would likely have kept this event from occurring.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I understand and gave my opinion on the policy.

I have little respect for your posts or opinions on many subjects discussed
thanks.

I just won a troll award.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:31 PM

Maybe the kid tripped down the stairs and landed on a broom.
Happens all the time in North Africa and the ME.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
thanks.

I just won a troll award.
Yes, it's all about you

Ignore the rest of what I said though. Might I suggest you stop trying to think and go fishing?
Old 01-19-2014, 02:34 PM
Banned

Never been a fan of stop and frisk.

Too bad our neighbours to the south only defend one amendment of their constitution.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Yes, it's all about you

Ignore the rest of what I said though. Might I suggest you stop trying to think and go fishing?
I wish buddy. work and moving and helping my dad recover from his stroke just eats up too much of my time. I did read your whole post, and in the nature of debate and open discussion not countering is the same as accepting. cheers.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali#1 View Post
Never been a fan of stop and frisk.

Too bad our neighbours to the south only defend one amendment of their constitution.
Nope its not fun at all.
Funny how when you turn 25 or so and start driving a sensible vehicle you dont get randomly frisked near as much.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbomber View Post
Yup, there always is two sides to the story. Thanks for the link BB. Sometimes the stories about police abusing their powers really are just about them abusing their powers.

The Philadelphia police department’s internal affairs division is investigating two officers who were caught on video making disparaging and racist remarks to two black men detained under stop-and-frisk policies.

The pedestrians used a cell phone to record their interaction with two officers. After exchanging pleasantries, the officers pushed one of the men up against their cop car and searched him. When the pedestrians insisted that the officers had no cause to search them, the officers made hostile, racist remarks.

“****ing dirty ass,” said one of the officers. “Why don’t you shut the **** up?”

The video suggests that the encounter took place because the two men had said hello to another person on the street, and the cops suspected that person of being involved with drugs.

After the man recording the video revealed that he lived in New Jersey, the officers told him to go back there and never return to Philadelphia. The recorder insisted that he had family in the city, which prompted one of the officers to say: “Don’t come over here. We don’t want you here, anyway. All you do is weaken the country.”

“How do I weaken the country?” asked the man. “By working?”

“No, freeloading,” replied the officer.

The man eventually explained that he worked as a server at a country club.

“Server? Serving weed,” suggested the officer.

A spokesperson for the police department told Philly Confidential that internal affairs was investigating the incident.

The department did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:45 PM

mountain meet molehill.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:57 PM

I just felt if this kind of stuff happened then attacking a kids genitals for being lippy isn't a stretch.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
mountain meet molehill.
I suppose it depends on who is the mountain and who is the molehill.

I just don't think stop and frisk policies based on racism is acceptable. And as for police abusing their power, this is just wrong. One bad cop gives the rest a bad name. Perhaps it is time the other police start to take their fellow officers to task for stepping outside the bounds of common sense. Until this happens, there will be cases where a person in the general public has their rights trampled.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbomber View Post
I just felt if this kind of stuff happened then attacking a kids genitals for being lippy isn't a stretch.
So what if the kid was lippy. It does not give the cop the right to damage his genitals. Restrain him, detain him, and give him a fine. There just seems to be too many cases lately where police have used too much force for minor issues. There are many cases where people have been subjected to cavity searches at the side of the road because they got caught speeding. Have the police forces been hiring perverts lately? Or are all people who get caught speeding hiding drugs up their rectum? I am just glad we have not had any cases here like this. Perhaps our police are just better.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:23 PM
Banned

maybe they would like living in africa better
Old 01-19-2014, 11:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EORE View Post
maybe they would like living in africa better
Who? The police, or the kids just walking down the street?
Old 01-19-2014, 11:41 PM
Banned

the kids i blame the confedercy for loosin