Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-08-2020, 08:52 AM

Default Normal curve on tire?

Is this bow normal for this tire?

It is a carlisle sport trail

St 225/75 15" rim

It has a noticeable arch. My other tires have all been much flatter across the threads but they are radial trails

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2020, 09:00 AM

Looks normal for a bias ply to me.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:38 AM

Yes, that is normal. My goodyear endurance also has the same curve and it seems common for the better tires. My old Chinese bombs that I had on the trailer were much flatter.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:46 AM

Check the pressure? May be over inflated to set the bead and not reset?
Old 04-08-2020, 10:11 AM

Normal for trail sports.
If you suspect there is enough issue take it to D And R automotive on Colby drive get Dave to have a look at it
Old 04-08-2020, 10:35 AM

That would be a long drive to check tire pressure
Old 04-08-2020, 10:46 AM

Too early to tell. Assuming you run recommended pressure, give it some mileage and watch it’s wear pattern.
Old 04-09-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
Too early to tell. Assuming you run recommended pressure, give it some mileage and watch it’s wear pattern.
They do not looked used very much at all. Still have the little nibs (tits) on them. Where do you run them? Looks like they have never seen pavement or been around a corner. No expert by no means. Like mentioned give em some mileage
Old 04-09-2020, 05:36 PM

i'm no tire expert but usually if you follow whats written on the sidewall you should be ok . also , if a warranty issue comes up follow the manufactures recommendation will be to your advantage .
Old 04-09-2020, 06:01 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
i'm no tire expert but usually if you follow whats written on the sidewall you should be ok . also , if a warranty issue comes up follow the manufactures recommendation will be to your advantage .
Absolutely not... What is written on the tire is maximum pressure under maximum service load. If you run light loads you need to adjust accordingly or you will wear out the center of the tires prematurely and it is not a warranty issue.

As for that tire in the OP’s pic, not uncommon unloaded but again do not run at max pressure unless the service load is needing that.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 04-09-2020, 06:09 PM

You obviously need to flatten the curve! Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwan View Post
That would be a long drive to check tire pressure
He is in Waterloo Ontario. So gave him a spot to go to
Old 04-09-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Absolutely not... What is written on the tire is maximum pressure under maximum service load. If you run light loads you need to adjust accordingly or you will wear out the center of the tires prematurely and it is not a warranty issue.

As for that tire in the OP’s pic, not uncommon unloaded but again do not run at max pressure unless the service load is needing that.
fair enough . i guess i've been doing it wrong for the last 40 years .
Old 04-09-2020, 10:05 PM

Maybe!!!
Old 04-09-2020, 10:39 PM

Quote:

So, how does that apply to the pressure posted in the vehicle? That's what I've always gone with.

Grizz
Old 04-10-2020, 12:49 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
fair enough . i guess i've been doing it wrong for the last 40 years .
You are not alone I promise... I always thought it is kind of silly they don’t make it clear but it is how it is. I should say it isn’t like it is a dangerous recommendation. It just isn’t going to optimize ability and wear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
So, how does that apply to the pressure posted in the vehicle? That's what I've always gone with.

Grizz
Yes, the door pressure recommendation is generally the accepted ideal, but that said it isn’t 100% perfect all the time. Think back to the Ford Explorer/Firestone fiasco back in the late 80’s/early 90’s as well as a few other instances. Those Explorers had a recommended door pressure of 26psi! We all knew it was not enough and would tell people all the time to ignore that and run 35psi and those that did never had an issue. Door pressure also is based on the factory tire service index. If you put a different tire on with a different construction (think half ton trucks with standard load moving to heavy duty LRE/10ply as an example) you actually should be altering the pressure because the tire construction will react differently to the same pressure with things like an increase in heat retention, shape variance, etc.

The nice thing is nowadays with the internet you can usually find the details fairly readily and worst case it doesn’t hurt to ask someone trustworthy.

If you want to do some reading, this link is pretty comprehensive...

https://www.toyotires.com/media/2125...s_20170203.pdf
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 04-10-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz

That’s great if you run stock tires in stock sizes. I don’t and have no idea what my door says.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2020, 01:55 PM

i agree with what you say Bob. in an ideal world if you run the right amount of air pressure for the weight being carried you should be able to maximizes the life of the tires . however , how do you determine that ideal pressure ? i have a 4 place horse trailer . i have pulled 2 kayaks in it to the mountains for a weekend and then 4 horses and a tack room full of saddles and tack the next to a bbl race or gymkhana . all with the tires fully inflated and i have never taken a tire off with the center worn out .

i guess if your load is constant , like a boat trailer , and you saw your tires wearing out in the center you could lower the pressure .

the only caveat to this is if i add air in the winter or when its cold out i add a little less to allow for expansion .

not trying to start an internet fight , as there seems to be enough of that going around , i just commented on my experiences to the original post . that said , the granddaughter has the horses saddled up and i am out a here ! get out and enjoy the sun while you can !
Old 04-10-2020, 02:05 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
i agree with what you say Bob. in an ideal world if you run the right amount of air pressure for the weight being carried you should be able to maximizes the life of the tires . however , how do you determine that ideal pressure ? i have a 4 place horse trailer . i have pulled 2 kayaks in it to the mountains for a weekend and then 4 horses and a tack room full of saddles and tack the next to a bbl race or gymkhana . all with the tires fully inflated and i have never taken a tire off with the center worn out .

i guess if your load is constant , like a boat trailer , and you saw your tires wearing out in the center you could lower the pressure .

the only caveat to this is if i add air in the winter or when its cold out i add a little less to allow for expansion .

not trying to start an internet fight , as there seems to be enough of that going around , i just commented on my experiences to the original post . that said , the granddaughter has the horses saddled up and i am out a here ! get out and enjoy the sun while you can !
You are absolutely correct sir... There are very many variables to account for and they are often changing for people who are not using their trailers in a consistent way so one can only try and sort out what works best for them. I was trying to convey exactly that when I replied to your post but I think it may have come across a little more contentious than intended lol! I definitely was not assuming a internet battle... My apologies if it seemed as such.

I think for most people though, they tend to run on the light end of the scale and overfill tires more often than not. I see them come in all the time wondering why they are wearing poorly and it is often because of pressure issues, but truth be told the are also often enough on the other end of the scale when they should be running much higher than they are!

Basically we should just be saying that pressure should be checked regularly and load considered is all...
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 04-10-2020, 07:47 PM

Quote:

Basically we should just be saying that pressure should be checked regularly and load considered is all...
sounds good , and no apology necessary , its all good . happy Easter to you and yours
Old 04-10-2020, 08:20 PM

During stops on a highway drive, I’ll walk around and touch my Sidewalks to feel for heat. Sure sign of under inflation.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:51 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
During stops on a highway drive, I’ll walk around and touch my Sidewalks to feel for heat. Sure sign of under inflation.
Great tip!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca