Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Sponsors > Sponsor Forums > Prophet River Firearms

Old 03-06-2020, 06:04 PM
AO Sponsor

Default Good News on ITAR

As many of you may have heard, import of rifles and handguns their parts and the ammunition went through the USA state department, but was to be switched to the much easier commerce department. Also, they 'changed the rules' back in late summer resulting in massive import delays. The changeover was scheduled for March 9 but several democratic states challenged the switch over. They was a court hearing this past Monday and the judge ruled today that the switch over is to proceed. So, as of this Monday morning coming, things will be much quicker and easier for rifle and handgun imports. Great news!!!!
Old 03-10-2020, 02:41 PM
AO Sponsor

Q: what about parts?
Q: Reloading components? ooh ooh ooh... Importing specific things for the ballistic lab is a pain in the ass.

A: Yes, parts and ammunition for rifles and handguns all go to commerce.
A: Yes, ammunition components too.

---

C: Can we order from Brownells? Dont want to undercut your business though

P: You can order from wherever you see fit as long as they do the commerce department export permit and you provide them with an IIC.

---

Q: Does this impact existing fees?

A: Yes, commerce is slightly cheaper as the actual cost to submit an application is free vs $300.00 US$ That is why we always charged 200.00 per shotgun (commerce) vs 250.00 for a rifle/handgun (USA State Department)

---

C: What is IIC ?

P: IIC= International Import Certificate. You need to provide one to the exporter to get an approval from the commerce department.

---

C: When will you be up and running for rifle imports?

Also, will things proceeds as before (i.e. I purchase a rifle in the US, the seller ships the rifle to you with the import form and I submit the online form on your website)?

P: We are up and running now but we will have the info back up online early next week. Yes, that is correct procedure.

---

Q: Does this mean we'll be able to import parts ourselves or does everything firearm related still have to go through a broker?

A: if you have an IIC and have an exporter that will get the commerce license and broker it across the border, you don't need us . That part is the same as its ever been.

---

Q: What does this mean for the customer? Does it save money for companies when they import products? Or does it just make it so products come in faster?

A: it means if you decide to import you will save time and a bit of money

---

C: I hope this goes back to us buying the items, not the importer purchasing it for you. What a head ache. I have barrels in limbo cuz of this.

P: it should go back to the former

---

C: If you bring part and accessories across the border yourself, on your person, and properly declare it at the border with the CBSA, is an import cert still required from the US Dept of Commerce? Based on products that are legal to own in Canada of course.

I have friends that have crossed with no issues, that’s why I ask. I also presume that had a US prescreen check be in effect I’m sure there’d be issues.

P: Bringing parts across yourself is illegal unless you have a commerce department license. You are not even allowed to possess these items on the USA side. If caught you could be charged with illegal possession and export of military goods. The IIC will not help with that.

---

Q: Can we get magazines that hold more than 33 again? Pinned of course

A: This does not change, as far as we know, what can be legally exported.

---

Q: How will this affect importing powder to Canada? Can I just drive it over the border?

A: No.

---

Q: Does the rules on exporting mags with greater than 30rnd capacity still apply? Mainly curious for the PSA AK 9mm mags for the scorpion

A: Most likely, what can be exported will change very little if at all. We will know more in coming days.

---