Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-31-2020, 11:04 AM

Default Sonar/Flasher

Hi everyone,

My 14 year old son really got into ice fishing this year and is looking to buy his first sonar/flasher. In your experience, what is the best value for your money and what would you recommend? Ideally, he would like something that will work on both ice and a pontoon during open water season.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2020, 11:14 AM

ive got this one and it has worked well for last 3 years, both on ice and out of a pontoon/14 ft jon boat

FEATURES
Spend more time fishing with the easy to use Lowrance Hook 2 - 4X All Season Pack Ice Fish Finder
Fully automated sonar with user option for manual ice mode
One pack to allow for use as a portable ice fishing unit and to mount on the boat
See more sonar history to track lures and fish movements
Size: 4.3" (11 cm) color wide screen display

they go on sale once in awhile so just have to watch the flyers
Old 03-31-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein View Post
ive got this one and it has worked well for last 3 years, both on ice and out of a pontoon/14 ft jon boat

FEATURES
Spend more time fishing with the easy to use Lowrance Hook 2 - 4X All Season Pack Ice Fish Finder
Fully automated sonar with user option for manual ice mode
One pack to allow for use as a portable ice fishing unit and to mount on the boat
See more sonar history to track lures and fish movements
Size: 4.3" (11 cm) color wide screen display

they go on sale once in awhile so just have to watch the flyers

Thanks for the tip Stein!

Old 03-31-2020, 01:28 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up Garmin Striker 4 Fishfinder with Portable Kit

CDN$ 269.99 on amazon.ca.....I went with this one...great little unit.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-31-2020, 01:50 PM

X2 on the Garmin Striker 4. It works really well. I've used it on a couple of kayaks in the summer and have used it ice fishing. Costco online also carries it for $269.99. You can get a separate ice transducer for it but I just use the standard transducer that comes with it and have it mounted on a "T" made of PVC pipe that I drop in the hole in the winter. Works great. I've used it through the ice from depths ranging from 6' to 100' and it's worked with no issues.
Old 03-31-2020, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Elk View Post
X2 on the Garmin Striker 4. It works really well. I've used it on a couple of kayaks in the summer and have used it ice fishing. Costco online also carries it for $269.99. You can get a separate ice transducer for it but I just use the standard transducer that comes with it and have it mounted on a "T" made of PVC pipe that I drop in the hole in the winter. Works great. I've used it through the ice from depths ranging from 6' to 100' and it's worked with no issues.
Thanks 58thecat and New2Elk! I'll look into those as well!
Old 03-31-2020, 05:45 PM

The humminbird helix series is my go to
Old 04-01-2020, 10:16 AM

Thanks for the suggestions so far! Anyone else have experience with a portable sonar that would work for both ice fishing and some open water?

Old 04-01-2020, 10:26 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnhunter View Post
Thanks for the suggestions so far! Anyone else have experience with a portable sonar that would work for both ice fishing and some open water?

All I know is When I was In the same boat your son is in...I looked at all available models price being a concern but also capabilities so I went with the garmin...used it on the ice Jan-Mar from a few feet right into the 200 foot depths...exposed it to long sits in cold temps etc...only had to charge it once...I run the backlight on 100 percent...can switch to sonar or normal screen or dual mode too...also mark way points too...I farted around with it and customized the settings to my liking . I store all the supplies it came with in the carry bag which is a bonus as it has ample space for that and more...the price, capabilities, quality set me on this one.

Got a few lakes to visit in the canoe and I know this little gem will be with me.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-01-2020, 03:01 PM

I use the Helix 5 G2 GPS Chirp for the winter with the XI 9 1521 ice transducer and then switch it over to the suction cup transducer for my son to use on his Lund WC-12. Its a great unit and very versatile. I had it out on Cold lake over 120 FOW and it was marking 3/4 oz Jackall Deracoup lures, which are pretty small. Add in the ability to Autochart and I havent found a more versatile unit.

Here’s a video I did of it on the ice last year.

https://youtu.be/an8F0372kR8

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 04-01-2020, 03:25 PM

I have the striker 4 bundle...use it ice fishing and in my pontoon....I like it...seems to work fine...

Happy
Old 04-01-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
I use the Helix 5 G2 GPS Chirp for the winter with the XI 9 1521 ice transducer and then switch it over to the suction cup transducer for my son to use on his Lund WC-12. Its a great unit and very versatile. I had it out on Cold lake over 120 FOW and it was marking 3/4 oz Jackall Deracoup lures, which are pretty small. Add in the ability to Autochart and I havent found a more versatile unit.

Here’s a video I did of it on the ice last year.

https://youtu.be/an8F0372kR8

Thanks for all the info Sam. Great video review of the display options!

Old 04-01-2020, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfisher View Post
I have the striker 4 bundle...use it ice fishing and in my pontoon....I like it...seems to work fine...

Happy

Thanks Happy. Lots of support for the Striker 4 on this thread so far

Old 04-01-2020, 08:54 PM

I have used strike 4 in my little boat for a couple years....I bought a striker 5 ice bundle this year and its great.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:06 PM

I picked up the garmin striker 4 ice bundle for 239 at cabelas on boxing day this year. It has worked great. GPS for waypoints flasher and regular sonar. That being said when I do upgrade from this unit I want to get a helix 5 or better. That way I can put navionics on it to help find depths with out punching 30 holes or more a trip.

Gordon
Old 04-01-2020, 09:39 PM

Not trying to derail this thread but the mention of punching a lot of holes to find depths reminded me of something. Ideally yes, having something like navonics would be great but then you also need the data for all the lakes and up here I’m always exploring something new that wouldn’t have data. I did also pick up one of these cheap units off amazon just to play around with
https://www.amazon.ca/Luckylaker-Por...5798131&sr=8-3
I’d never use it for actually fishing and I stick to the Garmin Striker 4 for that but I found this thing works really well for finding depth through the ice. I just dig down to the ice level, pour a very small amount of water on it, set the transducer down and get a water depth. I’ve compared it to my Gramin and it’s always been within a couple of feet down to 75’ (never tried deeper). I’ve used it through 3’ of ice no problem. A cheap way to get relatively quick depths without having to drill. And this way I can explore some more areas while my kids are setup and fishing with the Garmin.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Not trying to derail this thread but the mention of punching a lot of holes to find depths reminded me of something. Ideally yes, having something like navonics would be great but then you also need the data for all the lakes and up here I’m always exploring something new that wouldn’t have data. I did also pick up one of these cheap units off amazon just to play around with
I’d never use it for actually fishing and I stick to the Garmin Striker 4 for that but I found this thing works really well for finding depth through the ice. I just dig down to the ice level, pour a very small amount of water on it, set the transducer down and get a water depth. I’ve compared it to my Gramin and it’s always been within a couple of feet down to 75’ (never tried deeper). I’ve used it through 3’ of ice no problem. A cheap way to get relatively quick depths without having to drill. And this way I can explore some more areas while my kids are setup and fishing with the Garmin.

My Helix (and I suspect your Striker as well) will do this through the ice as well. Just do the same thing. Get down to bare ice, pour a bit of water on the ice, and set your transducer down on that.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 04-02-2020, 07:53 AM

Another vote for the striker here.

I have the 5 and use it in my ice shack in the winter and on my kayak and yakamaran on open water
Old 04-02-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:

Really? You can pour a little water on top of the ice and use your sonar to get a lake depth without drilling a hole?? That’s awesome! I’m assuming it works with all sonar heads and not just the Lucky ones.

Old 04-02-2020, 08:48 AM

As far as I know it should work with any transducer that’s flat on the bottom (which the standard striker 4 transducer is not). The Garmin ice transducer for the striker 4 is but I didn’t bother getting that extra one as the regular one works fine for ice fishing. You just need full contact with water/ice for the transducer head. If there’s any air in between, it won’t work. Also, if the ice is crappy and has a lot of air in it, it usually doesn’t work. But for good ice, with a flat transducer, I’ve never had problems.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
As far as I know it should work with any transducer that’s flat on the bottom (which the standard striker 4 transducer is not). The Garmin ice transducer for the striker 4 is but I didn’t bother getting that extra one as the regular one works fine for ice fishing. You just need full contact with water/ice for the transducer head. If there’s any air in between, it won’t work. Also, if the ice is crappy and has a lot of air in it, it usually doesn’t work. But for good ice, with a flat transducer, I’ve never had problems.

Great! Thanks for this tip!

Old 04-03-2020, 08:34 AM

Another trick if you're moving around alot and don't want to waste water is to fill a Ziploc with water and put the transducer in it on top of the ice. Works just like pouring it on the ice but you can reuse it. Use washer fluid if it's really cold or the water will freeze in the bag

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2020, 05:54 PM

Striker 4 is in sale at cabelas!!!!
Old 04-08-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfisher View Post
Striker 4 is in sale at cabelas!!!!

Thanks!!