Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-04-2017, 01:54 PM

Default Plugged or Un-plugged

Hi Folks,

This is what new regulations say about boat plug:

Don’t forget to ‘Pull the Plug!’ Residual standing water in watercraft is known to be a source of aquatic invasive species and fish disease introductions. All watercraft being transported (e.g. on a road) in Alberta must now have the drain plug pulled while in transport.

does it mean that we should not un-plug the drain plug while travelling?

Thanks

A_
Old 04-04-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.DENG View Post
Hi Folks,

This is what new regulations say about boat plug:

Don’t forget to ‘Pull the Plug!’ Residual standing water in watercraft is known to be a source of aquatic invasive species and fish disease introductions. All watercraft being transported (e.g. on a road) in Alberta must now have the drain plug pulled while in transport.

does it mean that we should not un-plug the drain plug while travelling?

Thanks

A_
Yes, plug MUST be out in transport. MUST. So the challenge is to remember to put it back in when you go to launch!!!! I fear I will forget some day.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Yes, plug MUST be out in transport. MUST. So the challenge is to remember to put it back in when you go to launch!!!! I fear I will forget some day.
Yep, my ritual was to always check the plug before I left home. I'll have to adjust or have one of those "oh oh!" moments just after launching the boat
Old 04-04-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post

Just picked a printed one from CT, but it said on pg#12:

"All watercraft being transported (e.g. on a road) in Alberta MUST now have the drain plug PLUGGED while in transport."

Old 04-04-2017, 02:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Just picked a printed one from CT, but it said on pg#12:

"All watercraft being transported (e.g. on a road) in Alberta MUST now have the drain plug PLUGGED while in transport."

Regs say don't forget to "PULL THE PLUG"

So that means unplugged... It's not confusing at all
Old 04-04-2017, 03:48 PM

Just i idea if you don't want to forget to put your plug back in is there a way to connect it to your key so you don't forget.Just thinking I know you need to start your boat I have a couple inflatables so not sure how big boats work
Old 04-04-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vital shok View Post
Just i idea if you don't want to forget to put your plug back in is there a way to connect it to your key so you don't forget.Just thinking I know you need to start your boat I have a couple inflatables so not sure how big boats work
Attach it to your boat key ring... not a bad idea.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:03 PM

Can someone tell me where my plug is on my canoe? Been searching for it for almost a week now.

hehehe
Old 04-04-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleafman3 View Post
Can someone tell me where my plug is on my canoe? Been searching for it for almost a week now.

hehehe
Dave's not home.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:19 PM

Default PULLED or PLUGGED?

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaman View Post
Regs say don't forget to "PULL THE PLUG"

So that means unplugged... It's not confusing at all
I understand your point, sir. but the PRINTED reg is different to online reg:

the online reg says "must now have the drain plug PULLED while in transport"
the printed reg says "must now have the drain plug PLUGGED while in transport"

its confusing: PULLED or PLUGGED?
Old 04-04-2017, 04:20 PM

Default PULLED or PLUGGED?

Old 04-04-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Yep, my ritual was to always check the plug before I left home. I'll have to adjust or have one of those "oh oh!" moments just after launching the boat
Happened to me at LOTW last summer, thankfully caught it quick and only took on a small amount of water that the bilge handled easily.

I now attach it to to the transom saver so it is there as a reminder when I disconnect that prior to launch.

Ya live...Ya learn!

Cheers,

Scott.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:41 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:

hehehe
Let me get a drill and a wine cork for ya!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-04-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Mine get hung on the ignition switch so when I start the boat on the trailer I see them right off if I forgot to put them in -which I don't anymore!
Bin that dun dat!!
Cat
Old 04-04-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:

The printed regs must have a typo. Pull it. That has been drummed in for the past year.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:19 PM

Does anybody with some common sense and a basic understanding of grammar proofread these things before they print them? OMG

Why not use the term "REMOVE" to describe "unplugged" ..... that just seems silly to me.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:37 PM

So are this mussels in Alberta lakes already? I understand coming from out of province but our boat has been in the same lake for the 4 years we owned it so unless there here already don't see a point.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macee View Post
So are this mussels in Alberta lakes already? I understand coming from out of province but our boat has been in the same lake for the 4 years we owned it so unless there here already don't see a point.
Not in Alberta yet, but in Montana, and Manitoba. Prevention is what the government is trying to achieve. It is unfortunate that your situation, which is very low risk, is caught up in the net. I only go to a few different lakes, all in Alberta, I always pull my plug when leaving a lake, and My plug is tethered to the boat, so its not an issue for me.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:25 PM

It is now illegal to transport watercraft in Alberta with the drain plug in. The plug must be pulled before you leave the launch!
Standing water in watercraft is known to be a common source of introductions and spread of fish disease and aquatic invasive species.
Please note, there was a typo in the 2017 Alberta Guide to Sportfishing Regulations regarding this rule (page 12). It is now corrected in the online version.
http://aep.alberta.ca/…/boat…/clean-...your-boat.aspx

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 04-04-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:

hehehe
Blasphemer!
Old 04-05-2017, 10:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
It is now illegal to transport watercraft in Alberta with the drain plug in. The plug must be pulled before you leave the launch!
Standing water in watercraft is known to be a common source of introductions and spread of fish disease and aquatic invasive species.
Please note, there was a typo in the 2017 Alberta Guide to Sportfishing Regulations regarding this rule (page 12). It is now corrected in the online version.
http://aep.alberta.ca/…/boat…/clean-...your-boat.aspx
Wayne is right. The printed Regs have a spelling mistake. This was noted by Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) Staff and F&W Officers shortly after the new printed Regs were introduced at the Edmonton Boat and Sportsman Show. The AIS Coordinator was made aware of this immediately and the Online version changed. Too bad the individuals responsible for proof reading the hard copy were not more careful or knowledgeable on the new regulations.

And no, so far, we have no indication of established invasive mussel populations in any AB Lakes monitored over the past 4 years.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:23 PM

Their motto is clean, drain, dry. So instead of messing around with the wording and getting all confused let's look at the spirit of the regulation. They don't want water from one lake being transported to the next. Get those plugs removed right when you get out of the lake so your boat can drain. Pretty simple. It's just taking a little time to understand "why".
Hopefully were all on board with it too. AIS are not so much an issue in BC and Alberta yet. So kudos to everyone. Let's keep it up
Old 04-06-2017, 06:53 AM

Personally speaking, I have never left a plug in my boats when I pull them out of the water-- EVER
In the fall ice can ice can form in there, inn the summer it can get stinky, and sitting in thee yard they are on the trailer sloped so any water will run out - even when the canopy or tarp iis on.
Cat
Old 04-06-2017, 08:30 AM

x2, I have seen too many covered buy half full boats on trailers.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Personally speaking, I have never left a plug in my boats when I pull them out of the water-- EVER
In the fall ice can ice can form in there, inn the summer it can get stinky, and sitting in thee yard they are on the trailer sloped so any water will run out - even when the canopy or tarp iis on.
Cat
This was the main reason I remove mine, so this new regulation don't bother me a bit.. we all have to do our part for prevention..and really how hard is it to pull the plug..
Old 04-06-2017, 11:07 AM

Dads old Sears 12 ft Tinner had his plug filled in with a bolt, nut and rubber washers. CT had some that fit so I bought 2 as I know I will lose one
Old 04-06-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba 96 View Post
This was the main reason I remove mine, so this new regulation don't bother me a bit.. we all have to do our part for prevention..and really how hard is it to pull the plug..
X3
Old 04-06-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbill View Post
Wayne is right. The printed Regs have a spelling mistake. This was noted by Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) Staff and F&W Officers shortly after the new printed Regs were introduced at the Edmonton Boat and Sportsman Show. The AIS Coordinator was made aware of this immediately and the Online version changed. Too bad the individuals responsible for proof reading the hard copy were not more careful or knowledgeable on the new regulations.

Sooooo does this provide a legal "get out of jail free" card for anyone who might get ticketed his year? "Your Honour, my client followed the regulations as printed" "You screwed up F&W. Case dismissed". Sort of like how we ended up with no barbless hook regulations...
Old 04-06-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat
X2..... same here, first thing I have always done after pulling out of the lake is to remove the plug so the Reg doesn't bother me at all. Remember to also completely lower your motor leg after pulling out to drain the bit of water held in there too and remove all plugs from live wells. The one thing I am not certain of is the "drying" part? Are they saying they want us to towel dry the livewell and hull area after pulling out too because I can't get down to the bottom of the hull in my boat to do so? I can dry the livewell easy enough but not the hull.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerchBuster View Post
X2..... same here, first thing I have always done after pulling out of the lake is to remove the plug so the Reg doesn't bother me at all. Remember to also completely lower your motor leg after pulling out to drain the bit of water held in there too and remove all plugs from live wells. The one thing I am not certain of is the "drying" part? Are they saying they want us to towel dry the livewell and hull area after pulling out too because I can't get down to the bottom of the hull in my boat to do so? I can dry the livewell easy enough but not the hull.
+1 on the motor leg, forgot to do that once and they gave me a friendly stink-eye about it (they were very nice). I've only ever just drained the bilge and livewells before pulling away from the lake and not dried them out. I suspect that if you were coming from a contaminated area they might be pickier about that, but I have not had any issues with that so far.