Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-06-2017, 02:12 PM

Default bummer

used to transport fish live back to camp in live well , bled fish in live well and flushed out live well after with 2 liter bottle of tap water . My Lund has a cable on the transom plug i always pull it and let it hang after i load the boat , i keep a spare in the glove box . We always set up the top etc. off ramp and have a couple of walk arounds before launching, its easy to spot transom plug dangling so it is never forgotten, yet
Old 04-06-2017, 06:49 PM

Might be a silly question but.....Will this rule apply to small boats being transported upside down on racks too? Seems pointless to pull the plug if all the water is out out of the boat by the time it's loaded.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
Might be a silly question but.....Will this rule apply to small boats being transported upside down on racks too? Seems pointless to pull the plug if all the water is out out of the boat by the time it's loaded.
All the inspection stops I've hit have been very courteous and logical in their approach. But... the law is plugs removed.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 04-11-2017, 08:50 AM

On my Crestliner, the plug hangs down from the drain hole when undone at the back of the boat. When launching, I screw it back in when I am removing the transom saver. I always unscrew it when leaving the lake as well as pull the livewell and beverage cooler plugs.

As Cat said, can get quite ripe if one forgets to drain everything.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:32 PM

I have not been a good steward of our resources. My plug pretty much stays put and only pulled out a few times a year. My Lund is stored inside the garage and does not leak a drop.

So unless it's been out in the rain, or been out on some pretty rough water and taken a few waves over the bow, it pretty much stays in place and I don't have to worry about the stinky water in there as it's bone dry.

Having said that - with this new regulation - I am on board - I can pull it out - no big deal. Makes sense.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:33 PM

Duplicate post - got side tracked.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I have not been a good steward of our resources. My plug pretty much stays put and only pulled out a few times a year. My Lund is stored inside the garage and does not leak a drop.

So unless it's been out in the rain, or been out on some pretty rough water and taken a few waves over the bow, it pretty much stays in place and I don't have to worry about the stinky water in there as it's bone dry.

Having said that - with this new regulation - I am on board - I can pull it out - no big deal. Makes sense.
Agree and same here, except a Crestliner(much better boat by the way)lol

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Personally speaking, I have never left a plug in my boats when I pull them out of the water-- EVER
In the fall ice can ice can form in there, inn the summer it can get stinky, and sitting in thee yard they are on the trailer sloped so any water will run out - even when the canopy or tarp iis on.
Cat
That's exactly how Dad taught me to do it. I couldn't sleep if it was any other way!

BW
Old 04-12-2017, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post

My Crestliner has never leaked a drop but rain and waves and live well etc can cause a smell. My dad religiously always pulled the plugs on our boats thru the years. Habit I have kept in my 40 plus years of operating boats.

Heck the Lunds at camp