Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-05-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husty View Post
Both my old mans 2014 chevy and my 2005 Titian have sliding tow mirrors. Pretty sure every manufacture makes them they just are not on trucks as you might need to get a 3/4 ton or them added on as an option.
Toyota Tundras don't have them on their 1/2 tons, and they don't make a 3/4 ton trucks (although I wish they did)
Old 07-05-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
I drive an F-550 for work daily. The mirrors are deployed as I have a service body on it. I do have a "phantom trailer" I guess. Its funny though; I drive down narrow residential streets to cut lines and everything in between and my mirrors never seem to strike random people or objects. You do realize that the width of a truck with the mirrors deployed, is still narrower than a lane of traffic right?
If there is a necessity for your mirrors to be in the "fully deployed" position, such as a wide service body on your truck, as indicated in your response, then the comments do not apply to you.

If you are driving around with your mirrors "fully deployed" for no functional reason or necessity, then you do fit into this category and this post likely hit a nerve.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
If there is a necessity for your mirrors to be in the "fully deployed" position, such as a wide service body on your truck, as indicated in your response, then the comments do not apply to you.

If you are driving around with your mirrors "fully deployed" for no functional reason or necessity, then you do fit into this category and this post likely hit a nerve.
Well my service truck has the mirrors out every day as they are required. My personal truck does not have towing mirrors, so no nerve struck.

I asked if you understood that a truck with deployed mirrors is narrower than a lane of traffic? You posted that a truck with its tow mirrors deployed takes up 1.5 lanes of traffic. It does not.

Just out of curiosity, if a mirror is about 100% more functional deployed instead of retracted is that serving a function or necessity? I ask because those Dodge mirrors are absolutely useless unless they are stood up. If I owned one of those trucks they would always be flipped up just to necessitate proper rearview vision. Worst mirror ever.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooter View Post
Toyota Tundras don't have them on their 1/2 tons, and they don't make a 3/4 ton trucks (although I wish they did)
I'm pretty sure it's an option on the Tundra:

There are lots of aftermarket ones available - etrailer or amazon carries them. I've been looking at those for our Tundra as I find our clip-on's a bit anemic.

I wish they made a 3/4 ton as well. Or at least offered a longer box on the crew cab. Sigh.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, if a mirror is about 100% more functional deployed instead of retracted is that serving a function or necessity? I ask because those Dodge mirrors are absolutely useless unless they are stood up. If I owned one of those trucks they would always be flipped up just to necessitate proper rearview vision. Worst mirror ever.

I agree, my mirrors are out all the time. The convex is only on one plane on those mirrors, if folded in I can see attacking aircraft and skittles falling out my door. When I have them folded out I can actually see a full lane of traffic beside me.

Back to the original post, the loads small vehicles are carrying on alberta roads is getting ridiculous.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheep View Post
Back to the original post, the loads on all vehicles are carrying on alberta roads is getting ridiculous.
Fixed it..

Oddly enough, most of the unsafe (aka illegal) setups that I saw, were 3/4ton and up.. So..
Old 07-05-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:

I asked if you understood that a truck with deployed mirrors is narrower than a lane of traffic? You posted that a truck with its tow mirrors deployed takes up 1.5 lanes of traffic. It does not.
There was a little implied humour in my post, you know what implied humour is don't you? But I'm glad it didn't hit a nerve.

http://i.imgur.com/Zvip4qz.jpg

Last edited by EZM; 07-05-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:18 PM

Every time I see a Chevy guy with their mirrors extended out without a big trailer, I get confused. I never extend mine unless I'm pulling something massive, because otherwise I can't see crap with 'em pulled out.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Every time I see a Chevy guy with their mirrors extended out without a big trailer, I get confused. I never extend mine unless I'm pulling something massive, because otherwise I can't see crap with 'em pulled out.
"Chevy guy"....Come on...I only see dodge guys extended without even a hitch on the back
Old 07-06-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
There was a little implied humour in my post, you know what implied humour is don't you? But I'm glad it didn't hit a nerve.

http://i.imgur.com/Zvip4qz.jpg
Well, the way people drive today and their lack of spatial awareness, I was not sure if you were joking or not. When you drive around a lot you see people do a lot of pretty funny things.

I like your mirror picture, but I think this one is better.

https://img.ifcdn.com/images/473c180...8d83bcb0_1.jpg

Tags
camping, mirrors, regulation, towing, trucks